Dyslexia - Anyone having problems getting it recognised?

Guest jinoz

Hi, I am completely new to this and have come here to see if anyone else is having the same problems we are. We moved to Melbourne nearly a year ago with our two children 8 and 6. We've noticed now that our 8 year old daughter is really starting to struggle at school and has all the classic symptoms for dyslexia, however much to our dismay we have found that it is not 'recognised' here or as the school put it to me, there are those who thinks it exists and those who dont. I got the distinct impression she was in the latter camp!!! Anyway, we've had her privately assessed and our worries confirmed, but we dont want to pay $2,500 for 7 days worth of private assistance only to have it undone by the school (who are now going to get her assessed by a psychologist). As anyone else out there come across the same thing as we really don't know what to do for the best. Any help, advice, recommendations, forums etc would be most welcome. Thanks

Cant help but wanted to wish you & your daughter good luck, the school doesnt sound very helpful or supportive

Hugs X

HI Lynn, Thanks. Its quite bizarre as they school did listen to all my concerns and like I said will get her assessed but I'm worried it won't be the right help that she receives. Looking at other posts, I can see I am not alone....!!!!

Hi,

take a look at this site, they may be able to help and/or offer advice.

http://www.dyslexia-australia.com.au/

Hope you manage to sort something out.

Thanks Colin, we have looked at that website and it is one of the better ones, its the lack of recognition that is the most frustrating thing. Looks like I've got a lot of drum banging and door knocking to do!!! Thanks again

Hi - Dyslexia is actually part of the disibility discrimination act here in Australia. However, like you said - getting it recognised is another story. Most teachers I have come across do actually want to help but there is very little help or training available to teach them about it. I have found it incredibly frustrating here as recognition and resources are well behind the UK. Many of the remediation programmes here in NSW are crazily expensive and many of the school counsellors have little knowledge of it.

I can recommend several things but would need to know a few more details to give you the best advice. If you want any advice feel free to give me a call or PM me.

AFAIK there isnt a state that recognizes it under their disability eligibility criteria so unless there is an assessed intellectual disability your chances are slim of getting anything more than the regular in school support through reading recovery or remedial groups

Guest wendyd

Hi We live in Ireland ,Our 7 yr Old daughter Has Dyslexia, A good Book To get ,Teachers Use It Here Is Called Toe By Toe You Will Get It At Amazon.co.uk If I Can help You With any Thing Else Please Do Not Hesitate To contact Me.:wink::wink:

Archived