medicals in birmingham

judyq

Just a bit of info for anyone planning to use Handsworth wood medical centre. My partner and our three children had medicals there last week.

It was easy to find and the staff that we saw were all very helpful and friendly.We were there the best part of three hours and the waiting area was not very kid friendly so if you are taking children would really help to take toys, books, d.s etc!

The best part was that just behind it was a lovely park with playground and a leisure centre with loo's etc so they could let off steam afterwards!

Hope this helps somebody!

Just a bit of info for anyone planning to use Handsworth wood medical centre. My partner and our three children had medicals there last week.

It was easy to find and the staff that we saw were all very helpful and friendly.We were there the best part of three hours and the waiting area was not very kid friendly so if you are taking children would really help to take toys, books, d.s etc!

The best part was that just behind it was a lovely park with playground and a leisure centre with loo's etc so they could let off steam afterwards!

Hope this helps somebody!

Cheers :) Can I ask how much they charged you? We are stressing as they quoted us what we thought was quite high, and that we need extra bloods due to having a couple of piercings, but others have said that they didn't need the extra bloods despite having lots and lots of tattoos/piercings, so we are wondering (and thinking about if we can remove all our piercings for the x-rays - Do they do 'invasive' examinations (ie visual inspection of your bits and pieces?), because if they don't we may get away with it lol

Many thanks again :)

Cheers :) Can I ask how much they charged you? We are stressing as they quoted us what we thought was quite high, and that we need extra bloods due to having a couple of piercings, but others have said that they didn't need the extra bloods despite having lots and lots of tattoos/piercings, so we are wondering (and thinking about if we can remove all our piercings for the x-rays - Do they do 'invasive' examinations (ie visual inspection of your bits and pieces?), because if they don't we may get away with it lol

Hi, ours was just under five hundred pounds for my partner and our three children.She has a tattoo but it was done years ago so they just did the standard Hiv not the hepatitis bloods. Think that depends on the doctor on the day! They didn't do any internal examinations just feeling tummy, general questions, gait, looked in the eyes and ears. We did have to take latest smear test copy and information regarding a recent breast lump and a hospital admission my youngest daughter had last year.For that they wanted a copy of consultants letter to our gp so that held us up a bit as had to be faxed on.

All pretty straght forward really but nobody has any peircings except earrings!

Guest The Newlands

We had our meds at Birmingham easy to find & park. But we thought is was expensive compared to others, we only went there because of the quickest availability. We paid £785 for 2 adults and one 13 year old, the staff were all helpful until we got home and started chasing bloods test results, they never answered the phone, or when they did they kept moving the dates for when the results were ready....

If there's another option Id go for that, everyone we spoke to about cost for Medicals else where all said theirs were cheaper!!

Hia, we too went to Birmingham in April and we found the staff really pleasant and very helpful, I agree about the waiting room though so our two boys took their D.S.'s with them and it passed the time nicely. With regards to cost we paid £275 per adult and £70 per child (our children are 9 and 7 yrs).

I know that you can get it cheaper but when we factored in the time and petrol money Birmingham was the best for us.

Many thanks guys, its swings and roundabouts I think, as we only live about 20 mins from Brum, whereas anywhere else we have petrol etc costs, so think it will all work out the same ish in the end (mores the pity, be nice to live next to a cheaper one lol - oh well, can't win them all, and at least we are near one seeing as there just aren't that many about in the whole country!).

Guest Raven

I'm booked in for my medical at Birmingham on the 17th August. Has anyone gone there by public transport as I don't drive so will be getting the train up from Northampton.

Guest Dracona

Do you NEED to get the test results? We thought he could go get the tests etc and then not have to worry as they'd send it to the visa people...

Guest Raven

The woman on the phone said it was all sent directly to Aus House so I'm really hoping it is - I'm planning on flying out the day after on a tourist visa!

Hi,

We live in brum ( dont laugh ), and had our meds done at handsworth wood, me my wife, son 13, son 3, daughter 10 weeks, it cost me £ 905.00 which is not what i was quoted on the initial enquiry, when i queried it i didnt get any answers. it consisted of a blood test and a urine sample for me, wife and 13 year old. then we had a chest x ray, so top off. and a consultation with a doctor who asked us to take our top off and did a few bends and stretches, then he listened to our chests and that was about it. non intrusive at all. not sure about the bus but if you go on to travel west midlands they will help. hope this helps.

Kev

I would not use Birmingham because of 2 bad reviews I read on here, seems they are bad with the after service. Also I think I rang nearly daily for 2 weeks during July and they never answered once, voicemail everytime. I don't have the patience for them. We live in Warwickshire so Brum is the nearest, but we are going to go to Maidenhead. Even taking into account petrol will will save money as Maidenhead quote £200 per adult. plus they are a lot more helpful and they do answer the phone when trying to make an appointment.

Guest Midlanders

Hi we had our meds done early in the year at this medical centre and if you can travel else where I would!!!!!!!!!!!

There was only me and my other half and we were there for nearly 4hours. The medical doctor was totally fabulous, but other that the visa side of the medical centre and after service was shambolic. It took them over 1 month to send our results to the DIAC and after contacting them over 10 times and getting a very poor responce, my other half went totally mad at them.......and demanded to speak to the partner of the practice.

Your mixed alongside patients waiting for general doctors appointment and I dont think other than some other people who were also waiting for the visa meds too, no one spoke a word of english and not one english person name come up on the display board. I'm not racist by any means, but it was just like sitting in what I could only say was like being in some down and out township in soweto/mogadishu (and before anyone slags me off) I have visited South Africa for 20 yrs and know what you see expect to see/find in such locations ) but this was very intensive and a little intimidating and especially as your trying to keep calm etc.

But its up to you......

Guest guest48800

Hi, we have our medicals at Handsworth tomorrow. We didn't have any trouble getting through, had to ring back a few times as they don't take bookings more than approx 3-4 weeks in advance. Spoke to a lady called "Pam" I think, she came across well, seemed professional and polite. It's going to cost us about £1100 for the 5 of us (based on our initial quote), I have tattoos (badass! :biglaugh:) so think will have to pay about £35 for Hep B test too. We're thinking that the results will be sent off electronically on E-Health? Was told to bring our CO details and TRN number so this could be done, or maybe that's me getting my wires crossed and they'll actually be sent by courier, guess we'll find out tomorrow!

Nerves starting to kick in now, but what will be, will be...fingers crossed though! :eek:

Guest guest48800

Post medicals update: All went well. Have to say I was quite presently surprised given some of the more negative reviews I've read on here, but that's why this forum is great for getting a rounded view on things.

Having travelled extensively with the Royal Navy, including East Africa & South Africa (and believe me they don't generally berth in the 'nice end' of town!), I can't say that it struck me as anything other than a multi cultural, 'inner city' medical centre. It was clean, the toilets were clean, the staff were lovely, nurses and doctor very professional and polite, and they were great with the kids, especially my 5 year old, who most definitely did not want to "wee in a pot" or cover her eyes for the eye test! :laugh:.

Would definitely recommend taking something to keep kids entertained though, am glad we took the DS consoles, we also took a book each.

There is a busy waiting room for GP patients that you have to walk through, but it's not intimidating in any way (or we felt it wasn't, there will always be an errant kid running around and a grumpy old goat huffing and puffing because he hates having to wait). We were ushered to a small area off to one side (about 15 chairs), there was a family doing medicals for Canada and I think 2 others for Aus who came in during our visit. All in all we were in and out in about 2 1/2 hours (5 of us had medicals done). Despite my initial thoughts regarding my tattoos, I didn't have to pay for an additional Hep B test which was a bonus!

We were told it will take approximately 12 days for the results to clear (bloods & X-rays) and we'll be notified of any problems should any arise (let's hope not!) and also when the results are submitted (we're E-Health).

At this stage, if I had to pick out one negative it would be the amount of parking out front, we were lucky and 'dropped on' to a space as we arrived but only 8-10 spaces out front, though there were cars parked along the road (which is quite busy).

I guess final judgement will be based on their after service now that we've parted with our hard earned cash :cry: and how long our results take to be processed and despatched.....

• 1 month later...

hi, post medicals all good! They did all they said they would do within the time frame...no chasing up and they told us when they had forwarded the results to Australia house.

We had no problems at all, i am sure it will all be fine!

Yes all went well here too, despatched on time and delivered fast. Since our application was being dealt with from Aus House in London, the results were there before I even checked the tracker lol!

• 3 months later...

I'm interested in this as we're going to need medicals later in the year.

I'm wondering about Hep B and HIV testing as despite having numerous tattoo's i'm tested for Hep B and vaccinated due to my job and i've been a blood donor here for years...

Hi Joanne,

I had my medicals at the Spire in Aston back in November and I can seriously recommend their services, they were slightly more expensive than Handsworth (about £70 more for the 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids) but they had Saturday appointments which suited us perfectly.

The clinic itself is quite small but looks very new and the staff are really friendly.

There was a problem with the uploading of my medicals to the E-Health system but they contacted the relevant people in Oz and sorted it within days...

Hope that helps

I am looking at medicals in Brum and have found Spire Little Aston Hospital - has anyone been there??

I am looking at medicals in Brum and have found Spire Little Aston Hospital - has anyone been there??

Joanne do yourself a favour go to Maidenhead instead, I found them to be the cheapest even with travelling from Telford. As for Handsworth they wouldn't book a month and a half in advance even after telling them my sob story about how I needed to book and let my CO know Asap but couldn't attend with in the month due to "Passport Problems.

I also live close to Brum but due to them rarley answering the phone and being useless I also went to Maidenhead. Even with petrol and hotel for one night worked out cheaper to go there!! Maidenhead were brilliant...and the doctor I saw probably the best I seen over my lifetime.

Archived