Insulating Older Houses

charlie5

Hi

Our home is pretty cold in the NSW winter. It has loft insulation but that is all. Has anyone any experience of retro-fitting cavity wall or underfloor insulation?

There seemsa great shortage of people who offer to do this.

Charlie

:frown:

Hey up pal, cant believe someone has asked thi.s im coming out next year to start a new construction business which fixes insulation to the outside of your home and is then rendered over creating an insulated home.You can then paint it in a nice clean finish. This also gets rid of the aussi brick finish which some seem to hang on to .........Far out man, watch this space

Hey up pal, cant believe someone has asked thi.s im coming out next year to start a new construction business which fixes insulation to the outside of your home and is then rendered over creating an insulated home.You can then paint it in a nice clean finish. This also gets rid of the aussi brick finish which some seem to hang on to .........Far out man, watch this space

Do you want an agent in Perth next year ??:wink:

lol, you know i cant believe they dont use insulation on the walls out there(except nu build),no doubt youll hear bout me, youll get a flyer thru the the door. itl be interesting to see response to thread as i asked about this a few weeks ago and i was told the aussis are too tight to pay for this doing, way i see it with the ecological and political agenda re global warming itll catch on,Also the heat saving costs are very good if the job is done properly. Hope to heat up yer house soon:biggrin:

Hi

Our home is pretty cold in the NSW winter. It has loft insulation but that is all. Has anyone any experience of retro-fitting cavity wall or underfloor insulation?

There seemsa great shortage of people who offer to do this.

Charlie

:frown:

Is it weatherboard? If so, there is a sort of cladding you can get - looks like aluminium panels with a thin layer of polystyrene insulating foam underneath and that is better than nothing. The DH has rigged up his own underfloor insulation with batts strung up on a sort of lattice - but we do have good access under the house. The other thing he has done is to put in batts as we have replaced the plastering in the walls but that is not helpful for wiring purposes of course. Must say it has made a huge difference though

Hi

We had a guy round yesterday to give us a quote for underfloor insulation. A waste of time really as he said that we didn't have sufficient height under the house to insulate it all. We wasn't a very good salesman either as he said that it wasn't a very good method.

I asked him about insulating the wall cavities but he could offer no help. He said that imjecting foam or rock wool was not very good and he didn't know anyone who offered the service.

I seem to be running out of options other than cladding the outside which doesn't appeal to me.

Charlie

hi pal, this method has been underway in the uk for years, the render is applied over the ouside which has solid insulation slabs fixed to the walls first, this is extremely effective.

Im over next year to get the method underway, might see ya, lol

Guest Dracona

Let us know where you move to. I was a bit surprised there's no insulation really in Aussie homes (I'm freezing as I type this)

hi pal, this method has been underway in the uk for years, the render is applied over the ouside which has solid insulation slabs fixed to the walls first, this is extremely effective.

Im over next year to get the method underway, might see ya, lol

You can do the same with brick cladding too for those that don't like render.........maybe we should team up and offer both ?:wink:

Guest Hatton
Let us know where you move to. I was a bit surprised there's no insulation really in Aussie homes (I'm freezing as I type this)

I was surprised also that the houses were soooo cold, I did not understand why it seemed colder inside than outside when I was there till I just read about the lack of insulation on this thread :eek:

lol, you know i cant believe they dont use insulation on the walls out there(except nu build),no doubt youll hear bout me, youll get a flyer thru the the door. itl be interesting to see response to thread as i asked about this a few weeks ago and i was told the aussis are too tight to pay for this doing, way i see it with the ecological and political agenda re global warming itll catch on,Also the heat saving costs are very good if the job is done properly. Hope to heat up yer house soon:biggrin:

We're in a new build (only 6 months old) - doesn't feel like there's any insulation at all in here...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

There is a builder who lives near me that does the solid insulation slabs and render and has been doing it for years and years. The new estate that was built a few years ago has several houses with this method. In fact when we had our first house they were using it and that was 30 years ago used on an estate in Edithvale.

We have the sisalation in our walls and roof and also have batts in the walls, live on a concrete slab, wooden floors are woeful for cold and heat, have a steel colorbond roof but not the usual one that houses have we went for the expensive clip lock which most builders do not use but has no nails which is perfect.

Block out curtains and blinds are also used here in Aus to keep warm in and heat out and they work very well.

Concrete panel houses are also becoming popular as they are easy to erect and a lot get built in the more affluent type areas where they want ultra modern.

That said most Australians do not seem to feel the cold that much and even on the coldest days will go to work in shorts and tea shirt.

That said most Australians do not seem to feel the cold that much and even on the coldest days will go to work in shorts and tea shirt.

Hehe, try telling that to my australian. If it drops below 20, he's in Fleece, hat and gloves... Then again, he grew up in Mallorca, Darwin and Brisbane, so really not used to the cold.

Archived