daft question about IELTS

newlifeincoming

I'm doing the general module on Saturday and am just doing a bit of preparation and have a really daft question.

On the writing task for the letter, it says:

'Begin your letter as follows:

Dear ......... ,'

Does that mean that I should literally write 'Dear ....... ' or do I make up a name to put in the gap?

I told you it was a daft question but I don't want to lose points for a simple error.

Generally, start writing on line 1 with 'Dear'

The next word depends on the letter you're being asked to write:

If the context of the letter would imply you don't know the name of the person, then the next words are: sir or madam . You should end with 'Yours faithfully'

If the context is that you know the person in a business environment (like your boss, landlord, etc), then the next words are Mr. Smith or some name you choose to make up. You should end with 'Yours sincerely'

If the context is that you're asking a friend for info, advice or help, then your next word would be: John or some similar first name. You should end with 'Kind regards'

These are not the only responses available to you, but they are accepted as sufficient.

These rules worked for me, I got 9/9/9/9 last week.

Hope this helps

P

That's a really helpful reply. Thanks very much. I've been doing listening and reading tests today and have been getting 38 or 39 out of 40 so am hopeful that I'll do ok. I need to get at least 7s in order to have enough points for state sponsorship. It's just the writing that I think may let me down so any tips gratefully received!

Writing is tricky but it is good to practice a few. I practiced writing a few essays and letters given online as IELTS examples. It really helped. Doing a lots of practice also helps to to keep track of the time. We are all used to typing but most of us haven't written much on paper for a long time, so it really helps to try out some examples from online.

Good Luck with your exams!!

I'd agree with path2aus, it's the practice that helps. But try not to practice to the last minute, you'll find yourself trying to regurgitate examples you've seen. Just understand the format of the test, and what is expected of you. Use your own examples and own words.

Listening: Know one or two questions ahead, and listen for the answers. Multiple choice, they often lead with a positive on one of the answers then throw in a 'but', you can cross that one out. Listen closely to spelling, and correction of name/address.

Reading: This is relatively straight forward, although ensure your answer is in context ( e.g. ambulance, an ambulance, ambulances) to the sentence you need to put it into. Also do your best at the true/false/not given ones. They're a bugger because false and not given can be subjective.

Writing: On the letter, take 5 minutes to structure the reply. 3 paragraphs for 3 items they ask you to identify. Normally good to do 50/60/50 words. In the essay, take 10 minutes to structure your response, 4 paragraphs, open with the debate and an idea of your leanings, next the pro's, then the con's, finally a summary and your convictions based on the above (50,70,70,70 words). Don't take time to count the words (know your average words per line (probs 8, so you need 32 lines min.)), if you have that time then string out the last paragraph for an extra 20 words, time better spent.

Oral: Just be you, but speak in the way you'd speak to a boss. Nothing fancy, but no slang. When given a topic, try to choose an example which has legs, because they're gonna ask you further. Like 'who would you like to meet', or 'talk about a sports event'. Pick something you want to talk about, not what you think they want you to talk about, that way you could talk for hours. They'll probably ask you about the subject in an international context, a prime example is sport and they'll ask about the effects of sporting in politics.

There are some good examples on the net, but IELTS's disk is probably closest to the truth. The web ones tend to slightly exaggerate the difficulty in the hope of drawing people in to their coaching fees. No advertising, but www dot ielts-exam dot net gave some pretty down to earth examples.

Again, as path2aus says, set your time limits, and stick to them, especially on the writing. On the reading if you find the last one is easier and takes less time, you can always go back to earlier topics.

Write everything in pencil, you're allowed to. Take an eraser, there's nothing worse than getting halfway into a sentence and wanting to restructure it and realising you're in pen. It makes the end result look sloppy and indecisive.

Above all, relax, it's only checking that you're fluent in English. Your posts already suggest you are. And remember, you can sit it as many times as you like (admittedly I was under the pressure of my age and points, but I now don't have to sit the test I booked for this Saturday).

Hope this helps

P

• 2 months later...

There are some good examples on the net, but IELTS's disk is probably closest to the truth. The web ones tend to slightly exaggerate the difficulty in the hope of drawing people in to their coaching fees. No advertising, but www dot ielts-exam dot net gave some pretty down to earth examples...........

P

Thanks for the link Pete although for the benefit of anyone who may not be a native English speaker, I should point out that some of the English in the examples is pretty poor.

For example, IELTS Letter #46 says:

Write a letter to complain about a situation in which some adolescents let their dogs run wildly causing dangerous.

Letter #51:

Your heighbours have recently written to you to complain about the noise from your houselflat.

I've used several of their examples as practice material but was astonished at the quality of the English on the site - Particularly as they're trying to show people how it should be done.

So if you're a native English speaker, use that site for ideas on the subject matter but don't try and emulate their writing style!

That's a really helpful reply. Thanks very much. I've been doing listening and reading tests today and have been getting 38 or 39 out of 40 so am hopeful that I'll do ok. I need to get at least 7s in order to have enough points for state sponsorship. It's just the writing that I think may let me down so any tips gratefully received!

that's great you'll get at 8 for these scores. I am re-siting tomorrow as I only got 7 in reading and I can't get abov 36, looks like another 7

I'm not totally convinced, I thought some questions carried more weighting than others.

I spoke with ESOL today and they confirmed the scoring for General reading 35 and above is 7 and 38 and above scores 8 to get 9 you need to get all 40 correct:mad:

Archived