Best Schools on Central Coast

Guest dt1234565

Guest dt1234565

Where are the best schools on the Cental Coast?

My kids are all still young so its primary schools really, and this would mean a lot about where we would live.

My husband is a plumber so a commute into Sydney would not be so much of a problem as his work could be in any area really, although i would like to be as close to Sydney as possible for visiting.

We have decided on the Central Coast as you get sooooooo much more for your money!

We want to live a walk to the beach and a walk to resurants, cafes etc. Dont want to spend our weekends in the car!!!

Thanks everyone.

Where are the best schools on the Cental Coast?

My kids are all still young so its primary schools really, and this would mean a lot about where we would live.

My husband is a plumber so a commute into Sydney would not be so much of a problem as his work could be in any area really, although i would like to be as close to Sydney as possible for visiting.

We have decided on the Central Coast as you get sooooooo much more for your money!

We want to live a walk to the beach and a walk to resurants, cafes etc. Dont want to spend our weekends in the car!!!

Thanks everyone.

HI There...

I live on the Central Coast and have 3 children, both my boys attended high school and my daughter is currently in primary school. As fas a primary school goes they are all good here on the coast well let me rephrase that the ones I know of Terrigal, Avoca Beach and in the surrounding areas. The High Schools in my opinion are another story entirely. Avoca's high school is Kincumber and I had cousins that attended the school when we arrived they told me in no uncertain terms not to send the boys there or Olivia for that matter. You will get conflicting info on Kincumber High I can only tell you of what I have seen and been told, so my children have all attended private high school here. Gosford High is the school everyone wants to get into it is a selective High School and people come from all over NSW to the school. Terrigal High has a good rep for arts and sport minded children but it is HUGE, it is in the top 10 of the largest school in NSW, having said that that does not mean it isn't any good. I had a cousin at the school who has done well. There are plenty of catholic primary and high schools all seem tohave great reps, ST Jo for the girls is a high school as is St Edwards for boys with catholic schools they do charge fees but about $31/2k a year not too sure about the primary schiools but there is the Star of the Sea and some other ones I cant remember the names right this second.. google it I would say... you dont have to be catholic to attend. There are also two other pirvate High Schools, the Central Coast Grammar school which starts from kindy all the way to Year 12, it is the most expensive school on the coast but when you visit you can see why, the Central Coast Adventist is the other private school which runs from kindy to Year 12 my boys attended here the school like all schools has its pros and cons but overall the children done well and my eldest is at Uni now. My dauther attends Avoca Primary school at the moment and it is a great school with a great rep.She has been simply thrived and really loves the school, it is a small school. Copacabana Primary School is also supposed to be good... right hope that helps anything north of Terrigal am afraid can't really help with... if you have any questions please feel free to PM as am always happy to help.... !

All the best

Nikci

PS: sorry if there are typos haven't got time to check this as have a school run to do !

Hi Nikci, hope you're well

As you know we're also having to think about schooling and am a bit worried about the high school issue. Do you know if the fees for private schools are all around the same price (3500 per year)?

Also do the kids from the primaries tend to move together to the senior schools, if we put ours into public school for primary and then private for senior, will they be separated form the friends they've made?

As we're on a 457 visa initially, we're going to have to pay about $4500 for public schooling until we're residents anyway.

thanks

grant

Hi Nikci, hope you're well

As you know we're also having to think about schooling and am a bit worried about the high school issue. Do you know if the fees for private schools are all around the same price (3500 per year)?

Also do the kids from the primaries tend to move together to the senior schools, if we put ours into public school for primary and then private for senior, will they be separated form the friends they've made?

As we're on a 457 visa initially, we're going to have to pay about $4500 for public schooling until we're residents anyway.

thanks

grant

HI Grant...

Really depends in all honesty where you are for us we popped Olivia into the local primary school as we had rather hoped not to have to use the private sector but sadly that was not to be do she is now headed to the same private school as her brother. In Year 7 at her high school you are looking about about $8500 for the year it gets progressively more expensive as they move up. The Grammar School is about $14k a year. Olivia BFF is heading to the Grammar School so they will part but they will still travel home on the same bus and as we live in the same street not a huge problem. In her year the majority of the children are going to attend Kincumber High. You never know by the time the children are ready for high school things may have changed. Maybe you could consider sending them to a catholic primary school and then moving onto the private catholic high schools they are very good, the only reason the boys didn't attend was because they not sports mad and they were used to a co educational set up.... the best advice I can give you is this... when you get here go and visit all the schools even the high schools if you wish take the children with you and see what they think... One last thing is there is a new private school just outside Wyong called Lakes Grammar also a private school and their fees are muc more reasonable they also havea bus that picks the children up from Terrigal...(I have friends that send their children there and they love it it runs from kindy to Year 12) just a thought. Hope this helps...

All the best,

Nikci

PS: rushing again so sorry for typos dont have time to proof read this...:chatterbox:

• 3 months later...
HI Grant...

Really depends in all honesty where you are for us we popped Olivia into the local primary school as we had rather hoped not to have to use the private sector but sadly that was not to be do she is now headed to the same private school as her brother. In Year 7 at her high school you are looking about about $8500 for the year it gets progressively more expensive as they move up. The Grammar School is about $14k a year. Olivia BFF is heading to the Grammar School so they will part but they will still travel home on the same bus and as we live in the same street not a huge problem. In her year the majority of the children are going to attend Kincumber High. You never know by the time the children are ready for high school things may have changed. Maybe you could consider sending them to a catholic primary school and then moving onto the private catholic high schools they are very good, the only reason the boys didn't attend was because they not sports mad and they were used to a co educational set up.... the best advice I can give you is this... when you get here go and visit all the schools even the high schools if you wish take the children with you and see what they think... One last thing is there is a new private school just outside Wyong called Lakes Grammar also a private school and their fees are muc more reasonable they also havea bus that picks the children up from Terrigal...(I have friends that send their children there and they love it it runs from kindy to Year 12) just a thought. Hope this helps...

All the best,

Nikci

PS: rushing again so sorry for typos dont have time to proof read this...:chatterbox:

Hello Nickc,

Great reading your stuff, i have been looking for this info quite some time now, and thanks for sharing this however i would want to know: public and private which one is more expensive. we have a daughter who is in the kindy and i understand its 4500k for public, howabt the private?

Hello Nickc,

Great reading your stuff, i have been looking for this info quite some time now, and thanks for sharing this however i would want to know: public and private which one is more expensive. we have a daughter who is in the kindy and i understand its 4500k for public, howabt the private?

Hi There...

Always happy to help. Depends what sort of visa you are coming out on but if you have PR then you just pay a small fee in the state sector schools. For Olivia at Avoca Primary it was $80 for the year, but to be honest not my area expertise purely as my children are older. I would suggest contacting the schools directly to find out... just shout if you need any help...

All the best,

Nikci

• 6 months later...
Guest maggs

Hi we will be moving to the central coast next year and we need a good high school for our daughter, does anyone know about Berkley high,Tumbi umbi high,wyong high.

What is the Best High on the Central coast? We really need some help our daughter goes to a good school here in sydney south west.

Thank you maggs

Guest Guest62757

The best high school on the Coast is Gosford High but it is selective.

You are probably best going through the myschool.edu.com website and researching all the schools.

Hi we will be moving to the central coast next year and we need a good high school for our daughter, does anyone know about Berkley high,Tumbi umbi high,wyong high.

What is the Best High on the Central coast? We really need some help our daughter goes to a good school here in sydney south west.

Thank you maggs

Hi Maggs

Do not put you daughter into any of these schools, I have two daughters that attend Berkely Vale and am in the process of trying to get them out. I have so many issues with the school, I will only give you one example: my daughter is not a sporty person and took walking as her choice of sport, this, "walking" consisted of walking to the local chip shop where they were allowed to purchase chips, ice cream etc.. shocking!

HI there Maggs...

High Schools on the coast are a bit of a minefield!! Gosford High considered the best state selective school on the coast but personally I would say the the private Grammar School is my favourite, the facitlites are fantastic and the school has an excellent reputation unfortunately it has the pricetag to match. I have given a fair bit of info in my post earlier in this thread but please feel free to PM more as I am always happy to help. High School and schooling is such a huge thing anf trying to get thsat right partivcualrly high school afvter moving the children half round the world is always a worry so please please feel free to pick my brains. Hope it all works out for you..

All the best

Nikci

hi we have also been looking at areas in central coast and i have been reading up on primary schools. We were thinking the terrigal area any thoughts? or maybe a little higher up Bateau Bay?? anyone know anthing about here?? all the above has been useful reading, thanks!

We are in Killarney Vale (next to Bateau Bay) we love where we live on thelake and Terrigal is only a 15 minute drive. Terrigal is lovely, we often gothere. There are good bits and bad bits around here, Long Jetty is what I wouldconsider one of the not so good bits, The Entrance is nice but the Australianlocals tend to steer clear of it as it is full of the foreigners that theydon’t like (I don’t want to use offensive language and call them what theOzzies do!). There are plenty of shopping malls, Westfieldin Tuggerah, Stockton Bay Village in Bateau Bay and Erina Fair only a 20 minutedrive. The train station is also in Tuggerah. As I said before we love it herebut the schooling has become a huge issue for us. We are not fortunate enoughto afford private schools so my two daughters go to public school. This is onlymy opinion and I know public schools vary but I feel sometimes that they arethe bottom of the pile.

We moved here half way through the school term, my eldestdaughter was put into year 8 (in the UKshe already started 3rd year- Oz equivalent to year 8) so she wasway ahead in Maths, French etc.. Because she started half way through a termthey only took into consideration the work she’d done since she started theschool so basically for 6 months instead of a full year and put her in lowerclasses. She went from being in top classes in UK to near bottom classes here,even though on her school reports from the UK they seen she was getting “F” foreverything. I phoned up the school and basically they done nothing. She nowcomplains that she is not learning anything because of the classes being rowdyand teachers not controlling their classes.

Their homework doesn’t get marked because half the classdon’t bother doing it. My eldest finished her history assignment, teacher saidit looked good but won’t mark it as nobody else finished so she has to sit withnothing to do in her class until everyone else catches up, what is thatteaching her?

I think you know it’s time for change when your child asksto go to another school as they want to learn!

If you look at: http://www.myschool.edu.au you will find a lot of useful informationabout schools.

Guest Smogan

Hi, We moved up here not knowing anything about schools, so went for public. My son goes to Tumbi High, and I now can't move him as he is so happy there. They have also started a new scheme targeting the 'middle of the road kids', the ones that go to school every day, never in trouble and do 'OK', but could do better with more help!

Also consider for temp residents - Catholic or other non public schools, you don't have the pay the $4500 on top of their fees!

Archived