Uk driving license to Oz

leemina

Dont know if anyone can help with this or not. I've got a UK driving license photocard with my old address on, and cant find my paper part. Can anyone confirm or not what is needed when you go to get the Oz driving license, do they need the paper part or is the photocard one with passport to confirm ID enough?? We've moved house a couple of times in the past few years so no wonder its got lost.

Thanks

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

We didn't need the paper part when we switched our licenses in NSW, I wouldn't know where ours are either! I'm pretty sure we did it with just photocard and passport (you need to do it within 3 months of arrival).

All the best.

All depends what state you're moving to and what visa you're on?

we're in perth on a 457. whats the situation with getting an OZ licence.

i've got a bus (PSV) licence in the UK (not that i'm a bus driver). do you think they'll give me that here too?

also my wife only has an automatic license in the uk (for those that don't know it looks exactly the same but just has a code on the back...in the same way there is a code for people that wear glasses) do you think she'll just get a full/normal OZ licence as she can drive manuals ok now and it would be handy for us if she could drive manuals here in oz

Not sure for WA but in VIC on a 457 you don't need an Australian licence as you are a temporary resident.

thanks for your reply mike. but even if its not required presumably we can apply to change if we want? maybe it will help with car insurance? also might be handy to have some Oz ID?

Guest kennmikp
Dont know if anyone can help with this or not. I've got a UK driving license photocard with my old address on, and cant find my paper part. Can anyone confirm or not what is needed when you go to get the Oz driving license, do they need the paper part or is the photocard one with passport to confirm ID enough?? We've moved house a couple of times in the past few years so no wonder its got lost.

Thanks

If you just fill out a UK driving licence renewal form for a change of address (should be free, was for the OH, they sent the cheque back :wink:) then you will have both the new paper part and a new plastic part.

Just a point to note, it is actually illegal to drive without both parts in your possession :eek:

thanks for your reply mike. but even if its not required presumably we can apply to change if we want? maybe it will help with car insurance? also might be handy to have some Oz ID?

Like I said you'll have to check for WA as each state differs. If it's the same as VIC and you don't have to I'd advise you don't get one. The speed limits are far lower than in the UK and it takes some getting used to. YOU WILL get tickets, with a UK licence you only get the fines as they cannot give points to UK licences.

ID is not a problem, I always use my UK licence. No problem with insurance either, it didn't make any difference that I had a UK licence.

The speed limits are far lower than in the UK and it takes some getting used to. YOU WILL get tickets

Should read "YOU WILL get tickets if you speed". If you choose not to speed you won't get tickets. Simple as that. :wink:

Guest paulandtara

When I changed mine in Perth I needed both paper and plastic parts of my UK licence, my passport and a utility bill with my current address on it.

Pope I am pretty sure your wife will only be issued a licence with a restriction on it that she can only drive automatics, but seeing as 90% of cars here are automatic anyway it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived