UK tax returns

RVN

Hello there,

I live in NSW, can anyone advise me on a tax agent over here that understands the UK tax system? Im trying to lodge a tax return for the rental income on my property which I still have in the UK. Im at my wits end as I just do not understand the questions they are asking and I cannot seem to get hold of any member of staff at HMRC??? For example Im not sure if I am supposed to declare my current aussie income as "foreign" income on the form..I just dont get it... :arghh:

thank you.

rvn

Hello there,

I live in NSW, can anyone advise me on a tax agent over here that understands the UK tax system? Im trying to lodge a tax return for the rental income on my property which I still have in the UK. Im at my wits end as I just do not understand the questions they are asking and I cannot seem to get hold of any member of staff at HMRC??? For example Im not sure if I am supposed to declare my current aussie income as "foreign" income on the form..I just dont get it... :arghh:

thank you.

rvn

Have you tried ringing this number 00 11 44 151 210 2222.

I have another question. I have just battled my way through completing both mine and my husbands UK tax returns for 2010-11 (We emigrated last October). I have just had a letter back from the tax man agreeing the tax I owe them for that year, but saying that I have to pay them on account for next year i.e. 2011-2012 well I won't have lived in the UK at all that year, I only have my pensions which I thought that I paid tax on in Australia once here not in the UK and Australia? Do you know the answer to that one?

Julie

Are you both tax residents in Aus? If so you should not need to do a UK tax return. All your income, including your overseas (UK) investment income will be taxed on your Aussie tax return. Tell the IR in UK that you have moved to Aus and are Aus tax residents, they should then cease to send you tax returns and all your income will be assessed here. If you have a UK property you are renting out it will be more beneficial to have it taxed here anyway, as you are now allowed to offset your UK mortgage payments against your UK rental income (I don't think you can do this in the UK).

Good luck with it, I know it's a fight to get any sense out of the IR!

Tracey

http://www.ozhouserental.com

Are you both tax residents in Aus? If so you should not need to do a UK tax return. All your income, including your overseas (UK) investment income will be taxed on your Aussie tax return. Tell the IR in UK that you have moved to Aus and are Aus tax residents, they should then cease to send you tax returns and all your income will be assessed here. If you have a UK property you are renting out it will be more beneficial to have it taxed here anyway, as you are now allowed to offset your UK mortgage payments against your UK rental income (I don't think you can do this in the UK).

Tracey

Yes we are both tax residents in Australia....but last tax year (Uk) we were half and half....so did need to both fill in a return. We had sent them all the requisite forms via the Australian tax office showing that we are registered over here.

I have written back to them now and told them AGAIN that I should not be paying them £1300 on account of 2011-2012 tax that they have asked so will wait to see what they have to say about it. It is very frustrating - particularly when you have done everything that they have asked for and been scrupulously honest.

Julie

oh now I am confused... Your right getting hold of the IR is a frigging nightmare...when I have spoken to someone I just get bumped off to someone else who also doesnt have a clue...

I am now a resident how pays tax here (have been doing aussie tax returns for past two years) IR still keep sending me the forms to fill in.. Having said that last year I did not have to pay UK tax...anyway thanks guys...

If you have a UK property you are renting out it will be more beneficial to have it taxed here anyway, as you are now allowed to offset your UK mortgage payments against your UK rental income (I don't think you can do this in the UK).

Don't know about Aus tax yet, but in the UK mortgage interest payments are deductible against tax when the property is rented out, i.e. not the capital.

Tracey

www.ozhouserental.com

IR? You have been in Oz a long time haven't you? Unfortunately while there is a double taxation agreement between UK and Oz you don't simply get to choose the country with the lowest taxes to be taxed in. If your income arises in the UK you can offset the amount of tax you have to pay in Oz against the amount of tax you need to pay in the UK and therefore pay only the remainder (if Oz tax is lower - if Oz tax is higher you don't get a refund) equally you can choose to pay tax in UK and offset that against your Oz tax on your UK income (if UK tax is lower you pay the remainder, if UK tax is higher you don't get a refund). Your effective rate of tax is therefore whichever of the two countries taxes is the highest.

Note that living in Oz means you are not liable to pay any UK tax on non-UK income - i.e. you don't pay any UK tax on what you earn in Australia.

Archived