List of Important Docs to bring - ???

HarryOb1

Hi there,

we're flying out mid-August and we're trying to put together a solid list of important docs that we copies made of and certified. I'm getting the awful feeling that we are missing out on a few things that we will need once we arrive over there.

Maybe anybody who has any input can suggest other items we are missing so it can help others in the same situation....

Here what we have so far:

Certified & originals.

Birth Certs

Marraige Cert

Child vaccination history

Driver Licenses

Letter from bank (showing past repayments for mortgage, for when trying to rent in OZ)

Cetifications for employment.

Also, a list of things to do before going:

Set up bank accounts & ability to transfer funds Internationally.

Get International drivers permit.

Best of Luck everyone,

Harry

passports (obviously you'll have these with you, but it's always worth having a couple of copies handy, as you'll need to include copies in any rental application).

Might I suggest you scan all these documents also and back them up somewhere, so you have an electronic copy if something drastic happens to the paper copies.

Other useful things would include getting a copy of your medical and dental records to take with you.

Enjoy the move :)

You dont really need your medical and dental records unless you have some sort of complex condition.

You dont need an international drivers licence either, you can drive on your UK passport for up to 3 months before you need to exchange it for a state one

If you have children with special needs then all copies of assessments, ieps, letters of diagnosis, therapy plans etc are essential

You might also want to include a couple of character references especially if you can get them from diverse sources to help support rental applications.

You might also want to get a letter from your car insurers to verify a no claims bonus status which the Aus insurer might accept towards a no claims bonus here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest51968

Better still open yourself a dropbox or sugar sync account (both free) and store yourself in the cloud so you can access from anywhere in the world.

That way even if a portable hard drive fails or gets lost you're stuff will be safe

Mark

Guest roaminnomore

Immunisation papers for the children is a MUST.

Copies of your resume ready to go as you don't want to be faffing around when you don't even know where to buy a paperclip from!

A personal and work reference for renting, if possible.

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

Just to add re. childhood immunisations. It's worth checking that you can read all the entries in your children's red books. We had a few issues here because the handwriting wasn't clear and our Doctor couldn't find the drug name to confirm one of the immunisations.

Before we left we gave power of attorney to a family member in the UK, this is mainly because we have property in the UK and they'd be able to act on our behalf if we ever needed to sell in a hurry; it may be useful in other instances too but can't think of examples!

Good luck with your plans, you sound much more organised than we were!

Guest shusselmann

Hi, We used a local solictor, it seemed to be a standard service, think we paid about £90 for the priviledge :-)

Not sure how old your kids are Harry, but bring copies of their school reports etc (if any), it will help with school enrollment.

As RockDr said, back up everything on an external hard drive and bring it along with your docs.

hi....she's just three, so will be only starting playschool or kindergarten after we arrive.

yep, everything on two external drives (just to be safe) :biggrin:

Thanks,

Harry.

Ah 3 is a brilliant age! Your wife (and yourself) will find settling in and making friends nice and easy with your daughter attending playgroup/kindergarten :)

Yes, hard drives are a god send! Another trick my daughter uses is to email any important docs she needs to her other email address, thus it saving in both email addresses! Must get her initiative from her mother ;)

All the best for your move next month Harry!

Guest PommieLou
"You dont need an international drivers licence either, you can drive on your UK passport for up to 3 months before you need to exchange it for a state one"

Not sure about other states, but I'm in SA and was told by the Transport Department that I could drive/use my British licence as ID for 12 months before needing to apply for an Aussie licence. You don't need an international licence. I got an Aussie licence purely because it's a form of ID that most organisations want/will accept. It's used for rental applications etc. You get to keep the paper copy of your British licence but have to surrender the photo ID card.

Also, just to let you know, you can drive in the UK for up to 12 months on an Aussie licence so you'll be fine to drive on any trips home. Hope that helps?

Good luck with the move! : ) x

Archived