Urgent advice needed please?!

VDubber

Hi all,

Although my partner and I have been looking into moving to Oz for a couple of years, we have only just, in the last couple of weeks, started the process.

Having applied for a few jobs and registered with a recruitment company, I had a telephone interview last week for a position in Perth and was today offered the job! They want me to start 1st August, so would need to fly out in about a month!

They are going to sponsor me with 457 Visa, but in order to get out there quick they want me to go on a Working holiday Visa.

My partner will have to stay behind to get our house rented out, ship/store belongings etc, and then follow later.

Can anyone offer me any advice please, its all pretty scary at the moment!!

I have sooo many questions and hope I can find some help:

-What is the best way of sendng additional items for myslef, such as clothes etc out to Oz?

-If I go out on a working holiday visa and then transfer to a 457, will I be able to claim Living away from home allowance? (LAFHA)

Thank you all so much

:wacko:

Guest Ukmover

I would strongly advise to you spend some money with an Immigration Agent. I can thoroughly recommend Sherie at http://www.MigrateMates.com. Not only will they save you time but will also prevent you from making expensive mistakes etc.

Sherie is very knowledgeable and being originally from the UK has an appreciation of the info, stresses, dilemmas etc. or emigrating.

Good luck

Guest siamsusie

Hi VDubber,

Congratulations!

I think it would be advisable to see the help of a Migration Agent such as http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/index.cfm first who can outline all the pros and cons of your proposed plan. They come well recommended here on Poms In Oz.

They will also be able to discuss the LAFHA situation also with you.

Good luck with your migration experience.

Susie x

Hi all,

Although my partner and I have been looking into moving to Oz for a couple of years, we have only just, in the last couple of weeks, started the process.

Having applied for a few jobs and registered with a recruitment company, I had a telephone interview last week for a position in Perth and was today offered the job! They want me to start 1st August, so would need to fly out in about a month!

They are going to sponsor me with 457 Visa, but in order to get out there quick they want me to go on a Working holiday Visa.

My partner will have to stay behind to get our house rented out, ship/store belongings etc, and then follow later.

Can anyone offer me any advice please, its all pretty scary at the moment!!

I have sooo many questions and hope I can find some help:

-What is the best way of sendng additional items for myslef, such as clothes etc out to Oz?

-If I go out on a working holiday visa and then transfer to a 457, will I be able to claim Living away from home allowance? (LAFHA)

Thank you all so much

:wacko:

You need to speak to your employer about this. It's not something you claim, it's something they can make available through the pay/tax system but they dont have to. Some dont so you need to ask them if you are needing this.

Guest Scotinaus

Myself and other members posted some info about LAFHA recently here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/117442-lafha-changes.html

Getting a WHV is a simple online process that you won't need a migration agent for, and then sounds like your employer will sort everything out visa wise for your 457 when you get there. Immigration won't like it if they find out you came on a WHV with the intention of lodging a 457 application when you get there so I would keep this quiet in any dealings with them and hopefully your employer knows this too, or has an agent that does..

You need to speak to your employer about this. It's not something you claim, it's something they can make available through the pay/tax system but they dont have to. Some dont so you need to ask them if you are needing this.

Thank you for your post, the firm is now employing an expert in LAFHA to ensure this is done correctly. :smile:

Myself and other members posted some info about LAFHA recently here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/117442-lafha-changes.html

Getting a WHV is a simple online process that you won't need a migration agent for, and then sounds like your employer will sort everything out visa wise for your 457 when you get there. Immigration won't like it if they find out you came on a WHV with the intention of lodging a 457 application when you get there so I would keep this quiet in any dealings with them and hopefully your employer knows this too, or has an agent that does..

Yes of course, thanks.

Archived