Anyone had any luck?

Rachael R

Has anyone had any luck selling there house or is it just us!:unsure: We got our visa in April and we just want to go. We need to sell the house or we cannot buy one when we get there. Like many people all our money is sat in the bricks around us:sad: What to do!

Guest Karen and Colin

We are in the same position. Just have to keep hoping that it will sell soon. We are hoping to go Oct/Nov so still got some time yet. We need to be in oz before mid Feb really don't want to have to validate. Good Luck.

Guest jacqui70

We are in the same boat. House been up for sale for 1 month and only had one viewing. We have decided that I am going to go in August with our two younger kids so i can get them in school, then Oh willcome over latter with older kids when house is sold. we are now speaking about renting rather selling...Not sure what to do:frown:

We put our house on the market in March and after a flurry of activity, nothing much happened until the end of May when we got a buyer who wanted to exchange quick and complete by the first week of July. There is always someone out there if you have the patience but with the exchange rate the way it is, we won't take our money anyway. We are quite prepared to rent long term until it picks up.

Was wondering too, jacqui70, do you need to have your young'uns in school by September? Not sure where you are heading to, but the actual school year starts at the end of January, not as we do here in September or are you wanting to settle them in to a "practice" term. Also there are four terms in Oz rather than the 3 here.

Hang in there everyone, the market is slow, but you will get the house sold in the end.

We were very lucky with ours, have just accepted an offer after 7 weeks on market.....just hope it doesn't fall through now. Hate the fact you can never be certain until its all completed.

beck

decided to rent there, no luck with the house here so asked agents if anyone interested in renting it

we were inundated with people wanting to rent it and given the exchange rate etc it may well be the best way forward, will be taking 45k with us as we were quite a long way ahead with our mort payments, tho may sound a lot it does go pretty quickly. 2 weeks today we arrive :cool:

We did think about renting our house in the UK, but we have been told that would be hard because its a 5 bed and the rent would be to high. Its all gone pear shaped! We thought the hard bit would be getting your visa.:eek: Good luck to all of you hope your houses sell soon.

Guest Sk1ppy
Has anyone had any luck selling there house or is it just us!:unsure: We got our visa in April and we just want to go. We need to sell the house or we cannot buy one when we get there. Like many people all our money is sat in the bricks around us:sad: What to do!

Hi, we put the house up in October 2010 hoping we would sell it by June this year but someone must have been lookin down on us cos we sold it in 3 weeks to a cash buyer, so ya never know it could happen anytime. Good luck, I hope it sells soon :cute:

Guest SophieB

It took us about 9 or 10 months to sell but on the other side of the coin...we're now living in one bedroom in FIL's house until we're ready to go. All our stuff is in storage.

At risk of sounding unsympathetic, I was discussing the housing market with a friend who's an estate agent, and we reckon that vendors are being unrealistic, possibly to the tune of 20% or more.

I'm based in London, and I've seen a number of places that have come up where the owner bought it at the top of the market (in 2007 or 2008), and are now looking for a further £50,000 or £100,000. Funnily enough the properties aren't shifting, probably because they're overpriced, and a clued-up buyer can see exactly what you spent for it at a site like Zoopla.

Or if you want an anecdote, this house has been up for sale for a several years now. My brother put in a couple of offers of around £160K or £170K in the Spring of 2009, and was knocked back because the owner wanted close to the asking price. So he bought somewhere else instead.

The UK is slowly pulling itself out of recession. Mortgages remain in short supply, interest rate are only going to go up, and disposable incomes are down. I can't see any positive news for the property market in the medium term.

My advice would be if you're not getting any viewings or offers then cut the asking price. (Yes, I appreciate that as a non-home owner that's easy for me to say.) I doubt that you'll achieve it in any case, and it could well fall further if you hold off.

Guest gracie2280

from my experience I was 17 when I moved out with my family, we moved t australia whilst our home in the uk was up for sale for 3 years!! An can honestly say my parents wished they never left the house, it's on devalued half the price if was when we bought it, and now we can't even afford a home here in aus now! If it takes long I would stay in the uk until your home is sold, then if you have enough, buy the house you want in Aus, because although it's pretty pricey in oz i reckon the prices of homes are falling!

Guest jacqui70

Moving to Melbourne. I want them in school for term 4 as one of them will start high school in feb, no point in starting school year here in Scotland then pulling them out after a couple of weeks..xx

Guest welshspark

We first put our house up for sale in 2008 when we applied for our visa, plenty of viewings but no offers we dropped the price by 20k still did not sell so took it off the market, we had our visa granted last nov, so were going to put the house back up for sale march time this year, but before we did we had a knock at the door from a neigbours son who wanted to buy it, so saved on estate agents fees etc, still lost money on the house but its nice to have it sold 1 less thing to worry about, we are compleating on it this weekend, moving in with parents untill nov when we fly out. Hope the rest of you have some luck soon, its not the best time to be selling at the min

Guest Billy

We put our house in the UK on the market last year, had a few viewings and a couple of speculative low offers from people wanting to add to their property portfolio.

We've now rented it out, theres somebody else paying off the mortgage and we're a couple of hundred a month better off. Im happy to rent here for the next few years and may even try and buy land and build on it as i can afford to over the coming years.

If the prices go back up in the UK in coming years we'll think about selling, otherwise its part of the retirement fund.

It just gets you down. Do not think we are up for to much, its a 5 bed £280,000. I just think people dont want to and dont have the money to buy. Where we are in the midlands alot of people have lost there jobs!:sad: We will just have to sit and wait.

Guest VickyMel
One possible problem with £280K is that it's relatively close to the stamp duty threshold (£250K) where rate jumps from 1% to 3% of the sale price.

When it close to the stamp duty ages ago you used to be able to do a bit of switching of monies so that they say bought the house for £250K and the carpets etc for £20K to get a better price but avoid the stamp duty etc.

Not sure if you can still do that?

Rachael, good luck with selling the house. It's easy for me to be gloomy (and advise cutting prices) as I'm not the one who has to live with the consequences.

VickyMel, I think that there's the scope for doing that to a degree, but I've got a suspicion that the Revenue has tightened up on these sorts of schemes.

Guest SophieB

We made a small loss on our house. The trouble with zoopla is that it showed that we bought our house in 2007 for a bargain but it doesn't show that we spent 20K doing it up so we were at pains to mention this to everyone who came through the door.

Our trouble was that we could have sold it ten times over if only first time buyers were there to buy the hosues/flats one step down the chain. If there aren't any first time buyers then the whole chain gets stuck. We were having 1 or 2 viewings a week, probably 35 viewings in all and lots of interested people but no-one in a position to make an offer as they were sat on an unsold property.

Also, we have our money in the bank now but don't want to move our money over now to buy in Oz. We'll keep it in a bond until the exchange rate improves. When you're talking about thousands being lost, I think it's worth renting for a while in Oz before bringing it over.

We made a small loss on our house. The trouble with zoopla is that it showed that we bought our house in 2007 for a bargain but it doesn't show that we spent 20K doing it up so we were at pains to mention this to everyone who came through the door.

Sophie, I'm sorry this is too late for you, but a handy hint with Zoopla is to refine your estimated current value - you can add information on rooms, house size, even views plus improvements made since you bought. I don't know how seriously potential buyers take Zoopla, but I added £12k to the estimate for our house when I used this function yesterday! Still over £10k less than we paid, but who knows it may help?

Archived