Teens not wanting to go?

Mizzmp

I just wondered if anybody else is going thro the "I don't want to go" with their teens?

Our sons 16 and was excited when we began all this but its taken so long he has now dug his heels in. Hes too young to leave behind but perhaps if anybody else has the same prob, we could all help each other?

xx

Actually, if he has aspirations to continue his education into uni then he would be much better to finish his A levels then he would have the choice of UK or Aus universities (A levels travel well). At 16 he would be in a difficult position to transfer to Aus - most states begin year 11 as the kids are just turning 16 and so if he comes then he would be faced with yrs 11&12 and be one of the older kids going through. The disadvantage of that is that yr 12 scores dont travel as well back to UK if he were to decide on a UK uni - and he would be up for international fees, not having been resident in UK for 3 years prior to uni enrolment.

If you can leave him with family or friends to finish his education that would be quite a wise move IMHO.

Hi Quoll, hes never bothered with school, never done any homework etc, we were just glad he didn't bunk! He was 16 in March and has just left school. He will work when he lands in oz and wants to get an apprentice type job. He really wants to do carpentry which I understand the chances of getting a trainee job over there are way above his chances here. Hes not too fussed on college would rather get hands on.

Hi Quoll, hes never bothered with school, never done any homework etc, we were just glad he didn't bunk! He was 16 in March and has just left school. He will work when he lands in oz and wants to get an apprentice type job. He really wants to do carpentry which I understand the chances of getting a trainee job over there are way above his chances here. Hes not too fussed on college would rather get hands on.

My eldest wasnt keen on the idea to start with, at 16 all teenage lads can think about is their friends and girlfriends. Now hes 19 and cant wait to get there, they do alot of growing up in those few years. My advise is put him on your visa, dont put the option of staying at home on the table and by the time your visa comes, he will thank you for it. It is easier for you to put him on your visa now than try and get him one in the future. Good luck until youve had your own teenager, I dont think you can fully understand, what selfish little sods they can be.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Both my teenage kids, 16 and 13 love Australia, they thought both perth and Brisbane were brilliant, especially Brisbane, but .............. emigrating is the last thing they want to do. Its a dilemma my friend and how you get around it i don't know, but as an adult and being grown up comes a responsibilty to make adult decisions for your kids who know very little about life and whats going on in the uk and me personally, i will decide what they do, but it looks like we won't go for at least two years and by then my son will be 18 and we won't be able to force him and we will just have to hope he has more grown up sense, but who knows? Best of luck, its a tricky situation.

Hmm, the school leaving age here is 17 and he would be competing with kids who have year 12 (that's a bog standard minimum) so I wouldnt fancy his chances of apprenticeship or even traineeship without it. It all depends, too, where you are going, the youth unemployment rates here are pretty much the same as UK in some areas and without his year 12 he will be behind the 8 ball. He might have to think of doing year 12 at TAFE if he is just that little bit too old for HS. This is very much a "who you know" type community so his chances might be better if you have good work connections yourself.

We arrived here 3 weeks ago, with my 17 year old son (nearly 18).... at the age where mates mean everything.. he lasted two weeks, then booked his flight back to UK (left on sunday)...

It broke my heart to let him go, but I just hope that he will be back... I pray he will realise that the UK is harder now he has left school, and his mates are working/college....He isn't at the age yet where they realise people move on and things change, and I have to allow him to find this out himself...

As he is on our visa, he has the option of coming over with a mate (his mate being on a working holiday visa), so I'm hoping he'll be back, and this time by his own choice totally.. (then he will try it here and give it more of a chance)...

Australia may be a dream, but like anything, it's difficult to compare with a teenagers mates. (I also think it made it harder not having his own things around him... waiting for shipping to arrive)

I wish you all the luck in the world with this one.. it is hard, but try and view both yours and his points. If he doesn't come now, I'm sure he'll join you later, and if the move is his choice makes it better all round.

Archived