175 visa - wondering about Work experience for accountant

Hi All

Just wondering if there is anyone on here who has successfully applied for a 175 visa as an accountant after only being recently qualified (CIMA)?

My situation is this - can only apply after July 2011 as currently not enough points. Age 39 (9 months till 40!), IETS 8 achieved, CPA Skills Assesment waiting result after further documents sent,, should pass OK now,, but......on the work experience I've been a Finance Manager (duties of management accountant ANZSCO) for 3 years 2 months.

Do you think I can count this as relevant work experience despite it being before I qualified??

Without it I will be short by 5 points, seems like State Sponsorship would need the same requirement of 3 years experience so don't think I cna gain it here either.

So this is the crunch - 3 years experience does count, I can meet the requirement, if not I can't.

Any ideas really appreciated,

Thanks

Hi All

Just wondering if there is anyone on here who has successfully applied for a 175 visa as an accountant after only being recently qualified (CIMA)?

My situation is this - can only apply after July 2011 as currently not enough points. Age 39 (9 months till 40!), IETS 8 achieved, CPA Skills Assesment waiting result after further documents sent,, should pass OK now,, but......on the work experience I've been a Finance Manager (duties of management accountant ANZSCO) for 3 years 2 months.

Do you think I can count this as relevant work experience despite it being before I qualified??

Without it I will be short by 5 points, seems like State Sponsorship would need the same requirement of 3 years experience so don't think I cna gain it here either.

So this is the crunch - 3 years experience does count, I can meet the requirement, if not I can't.

Thanks

Martin

From what you have posted, your work experience is probably OK. I suggest you wait until the proposed new regulations are in place (! July?) and then run your case past a registered migration agent.

Thanks Westly, appreciate the response.

It's my last chance to get there I think so I just hope it will all work out!

Of course, I realise we don't know yet what the new rules will definately be, but I'm guessing when I turn 40 it will be impossible to lodge, hence why I'm trying to get everything done now ready to lodge asap.

Further question Westly if you don't mind -

I've read that the Skills Assessment will probably change in July where they will also check the work experience before you lodge visa application - Do you think that means I'll have to get through the skills assessment again after July 1st, or, will they have transition arrangements in place?

Thanks Westly, appreciate the response.

It's my last chance to get there I think so I just hope it will all work out!

Of course, I realise we don't know yet what the new rules will definately be, but I'm guessing when I turn 40 it will be impossible to lodge, hence why I'm trying to get everything done now ready to lodge asap.

Further question Westly if you don't mind -

I've read that the Skills Assessment will probably change in July where they will also check the work experience before you lodge visa application - Do you think that means I'll have to get through the skills assessment again after July 1st, or, will they have transition arrangements in place?

The only reasons the powers that be are likely not to accept your pre-migration skills assessment are; removal of your nominated occupation from the SOl, or removal of the assessing body that issued it a relevant assessing body.

From what you have posted, turning 40 would probably not be fatal.

Hi All

Thanks

Martin

Think you should be ok. I've just lodged a 176 State Sponsored Visa, and I have only been an Associate Member of CIMA since July last year (exams completed March 2010, log book signed off in July 2010). My migration agent says that pre qualification experience does count depening on its nature. When I submitted an application for NSW state sponsorship they wanted 3 years experience and I got this all ok.

If you are an Associate member of CIMA (log book completed) you have to prove 36 months of relevant experience before CIMA sign it off anyway.

Cheers

PS - I'm 40 in Jan next year.

Thanks mevans12

Wow, looking at your timeline you have zoomed through this whole process - what agent have you used? They seem to have been very helpful.

I believe my experience prior to being qualified is relevant - my current role is the same as that of three other divisions where they are all qualified accountants. I passed my final exam in July 2010, but had to wait till a couple of weeks ago to get my ACMA as my previous companies no longer exist for sign off!

Glad I'm not the only 'older' migrant on here!

cheers

Thanks mevans12

Wow, looking at your timeline you have zoomed through this whole process - what agent have you used? They seem to have been very helpful.

I believe my experience prior to being qualified is relevant - my current role is the same as that of three other divisions where they are all qualified accountants. I passed my final exam in July 2010, but had to wait till a couple of weeks ago to get my ACMA as my previous companies no longer exist for sign off!

Glad I'm not the only 'older' migrant on here!

cheers

Martin

Hi

I did the skills assessment with CPA myself and then used Go Matilda for the state sponsorship and the Visa application. We wanted to get in under the old points system, so decided to hand it over to an agent, and like you say they have been really quick. We were advised that if there was a clear path for migration at the moment, to get on it as quickly as we could, as the new points system has not yet been fully released and finalised.

I would say that we could have done the whole application ourselves, but wanted to get everything in before July, and using an agent meant really cutting down on research time and also we knew that the documents we submitted were fit for purpose.

Where are you heading? We want to go to Sydney, and NSW are processing state sponsorship really quickly at the moment.

Cheers

Hi

I spoke to Go Matilda in Jan and they seemed really helpful, think after my experience of CPA assessment I may need to use an agent somehow!

I'm also hoping to head to Sydney.

Thanks again, you've been really helpful,

• 1 month later...
Guest stehaggan

Hi I was just wondering how you have gone on?

I was admitted as an aca member in January but have worked in practice for 4 years now and have just got a little worried that my prequalification experience won't count.

Like you if it does I should have enough points for a 175 visa.

If not I think I may have a bit of a wait! :-(

Archived