Speed of responses from job applications, civil engineering?

Hi all, I am new to this but have been lurking for a while and have found some excellent advice on poms in oz, I wonder if anyone could shed any light on something for us?

We decided to look at moving to Aus back in Feb, we are looking to get over on a employer sponsored 457 with my husbands job (civil engineer). We attended 2 different expos in March. One of the expos in London was really useful and my husband met 6 different potential employers all of whom were interested in his experience and told us they would be in touch within a few weeks with interviews etc. Aside from this my husband has also applied for a number of relevant roles over the internet.

The expo was end of March and so far we have had 2 responses, but both saying they are still reviewing resumes. Is this normal? He has only been rejected from 1 job on the basis that he doesnt have a visa in place, all the other applications are still reading under review!!! Its driving us insane, but dont know if this is normal practice? We have chased all involved and received no replies to the chasing. Wondered if anyone else is experiencing this/ or does it mean they are not interested. Obviously we expected to get rejected emails if he is not suitable.

Thanks for any advice!

Guest jacqui70

Hi I don't have the answer for you but was wondering which sites yr OH looked on for civil engineering jobs?? My OH in same profession and any info re employment would be appreciated. I have had a couple responses myself re nursing jobs and the replies have been within days of original email. Not sure if the engineering trade is a little slower off the mark..

goodLuck

Yes no worries, he has applied to various roles via Hays recruitment australia, plus we googled main contractors in Aus (depends what specifically your OH is looking for, looked for relevant projects and then researched what vacancies they had. On top of that we went to expos in London and Birmingham. The Birmingham one is more living/ visa orientated (not really useful to us as we spent 6 months travelling Australia few years ago (have family and friends out there) so already knew most of the info. The London expo was more relevant and had 6 stands recruiting engineers, would recommend visiting that one if you want to go and meet employers.

At the expo they were all interested and we have received emails saying they are still reviewing it just seems to be a very long time...

Good luck with your search!

Archived