Last minute dilema!!! lookin for quick advise

Guest sinead

Guest sinead

Morning all,

I know this has probly been covered before, so sorry, but i just want to get some advice!!

We (me, hubby, 2 & 5yr olds) are due to fly out to OZ in September.. However, we are moving out of our house in 3 weeks as its being rented. So our stuff was due to go into storage before beein shipped in August....

HOWEVER.....:twitcy:

The last few days we have thought about just selling everything and starting fresh in OZ. just shipping personal effects... It just seems like so much hassle to bring everything and waiting times and insurance and prices just keep going up with hidden costs... Changing plugs and everything.. We're not the kinda people that need the finest things in life.. All our stuff is 3yrs old that we were bringing. THe only REALLY expensice things were our leather suite and our super king bed.. (thats only 1yr old).

I see loads of mixed reviews on here on what you wish you brought, what people wish they didnt.. bad and good shipping experiences... Really need to decide in the next day or 2.

Basically im just looking to hear as many different sides to the story as possible.. What you did, are you happy, would you do it again...

thanks everyone!!

we brought almost everything with us , however, company was paying our relocation expenses so that was why! We bought 2 new single beds & 4 new mattresses from Ikea when we arrived. Have also bought a sofa bed & 2 single arm chairs for family room here that we didn't have back home. Most of our things are used but do still have a good few boxes of stuff in garage.....however, when we moved house prior to this move (over 5 years ago) we had boxes unopened too!.

I think it's probably a good time to declutter & see what you really want to bring with you. We bought new sofas ,new table & chairs, new fridge & freezer prior to coming out & they cost less than they would have here, however, as I've said our relocation was being paid.

Good luck!

Guest sinead
we brought almost everything with us , however, company was paying our relocation expenses so that was why! We bought 2 new single beds & 4 new mattresses from Ikea when we arrived. Have also bought a sofa bed & 2 single arm chairs for family room here that we didn't have back home. Most of our things are used but do still have a good few boxes of stuff in garage.....however, when we moved house prior to this move (over 5 years ago) we had boxes unopened too!.

I think it's probably a good time to declutter & see what you really want to bring with you. We bought new sofas ,new table & chairs, new fridge & freezer prior to coming out & they cost less than they would have here, however, as I've said our relocation was being paid.

Good luck!

Thanks for getting back to me!! oh your soooo lucky having it paid for!! very jealous!! Im starting to panic now! LOL!! have thrown out LOADS and sold loads of the kids toys off!! LOL!! trying to de-clutter.... im just sooooo unsure what to do now... hhmmmmm thanks anyways..

We shipped 10 boxes of personal effects and toys. We sold everything before we left and bought all new when we got here. However, the only real things that I wish we had brought is our sofas and dining set but it would not have been worth bringing our other furniture because it was old and cheap. We found pretty good bargains on most things but we haven't bought expensive items so I think it all depends on how much your furniture is worth, and your taste in buying new furniture. We found some pretty good deals especially if you buy lots at one store - but we don't have expensive taste and didn't spend a lot of money on stuff - with 2 young children not worth it! Are you an Argos/ikea shopper or a John Lewis shopper!!

We brought all our table and bed linen because that is expensive here. For us it was not worth the expense of shipping a container and I am glad we just did the boxes - got here in 5 days as opposed to months!

Guest sinead
We shipped 10 boxes of personal effects and toys. We sold everything before we left and bought all new when we got here. However, the only real things that I wish we had brought is our sofas and dining set but it would not have been worth bringing our other furniture because it was old and cheap. We found pretty good bargains on most things but we haven't bought expensive items so I think it all depends on how much your furniture is worth, and your taste in buying new furniture. We found some pretty good deals especially if you buy lots at one store - but we don't have expensive taste and didn't spend a lot of money on stuff - with 2 young children not worth it! Are you an Argos/ikea shopper or a John Lewis shopper!!

We brought all our table and bed linen because that is expensive here. For us it was not worth the expense of shipping a container and I am glad we just did the boxes - got here in 5 days as opposed to months!

We're defo Argos/ikea people! Lol! Without a doubt!! That's what I've been thinking! Been lookin at fantastic furniture website! They've great starter package deals!! And kitchen appliances and TV's seem cheaper there then here in Ireland! Did you fly your boxes? How much was that and with who? Thanks!

Thanks for getting back to me!! oh your soooo lucky having it paid for!! very jealous!! Im starting to panic now! LOL!! have thrown out LOADS and sold loads of the kids toys off!! LOL!! trying to de-clutter.... im just sooooo unsure what to do now... hhmmmmm thanks anyways..

We are in Brisbane, been here a month and are sad to say really excited that our stuff is coming soon. With the current exchange rate bring your stuff, all the little things really add up

:eek::err:, and I am so over shopping (a sofa was enough for me).:shocked: And never mind the price of bannanas, check out the price of candles!!

I think we're going to take about 1/3 of what we own, bulk-wise. Fridge, washer and oven/hob are all built in so are being left, won't need wardrobes as most houses seem to have built-ins (plus they are falling apart anyway!), sofa is being sold as I'd like a new one, spare bed is being junked/given away.

We're planning to take bed & bedding, telly & cabinet, DVD player, a box of kitchen stuff, couple of bookcases & CD towers, few boxes of DVDs, CDs, books and sentimental junk, and a nice patterned glass door cabinet. I wanted to take my home tiki bar but it's clad in bamboo, so father in law will probably get that! Gonna get the giant mirror from my mum and dad's house re-framed and take that too, the old frame might be dodgy for customs.

Currently getting rid of old records on ebay, made £110 on 10 7" singles yesterday! And 30-odd CDs are going to Music Magpie as I can't be bothered ebaying them.

It's a great kick up the backside to de-clutter, which I've been nagging hubby about for years! Yesterday he filled up 4 binliners with unwanted clothes to go to charity shops. I'm sure he will still take well over 1,000 CDs to Oz, but as his company is paying shipping, and I'm going on the back of his 457, who am I to argue?!

A sole use 20' container is going to cost £4.5k give or take

That gives you a £4.5k start in buying stuff if you dont go for a container

Just bare in mind things are incredibly expensive over here.

I would stock up on clothes for you and the kids whatever you do..... especially the kids (maybe buy sizes ahead ?)

All worth it though

Best of luck

JT

Hi Sinead

we shipped with DHL (wouldn't recommend - tried to charge us more at customs) UPS definately would recommend - fantastic and had no probs at all. I think the 10 boxes plus guitar cost about 600 quid all up and shipped it airmail so it was here quick.

We bought most electrical stuff at Good Guys, a bed amd sofas from Fantastic, and our bedroom stuff from a great timber place. Kmart is great for smaller electrical stuff like kettles, toasters, plates, pots an pans etc but Ikea is here too and we did a big shop there for bits and bobs. Seconds world is also pretty big where we are and it's all new but with damaged boxes! We did loads of shopping around but definately found it was worth it.

Guest sinead

Thanks sooo much for getting back to me everyone!!! im thinking just sell it all and start fresh over there now... Im lucky in that my 2 sisters live out there already.. so they can help sort us with bits and bobs aswell.. I know we're not gonna get much for our stuff (its probly worth more to us, than it is to sell it) but i think maybe cut our losses, and go over with more cash in our pockets?? im going to be staying with my sister for 3 months initially when we get there so that will defo help us to be able to save and shop around.. Just bring personal things, photos, wedding stuff, baby stuff, TOYS, sentimental stuff... start a whole new life over there?? for those of you that started fresh? how much did use need to furnish the house?

Guest sinead

Morning all!! Well we're now down to bring our suite of furniture (worth about €2000 & our new bed worth about €1700) and 15-20 boxes of personal belongings and sentimental items... Leaving the TV's and kitchen appliances and kids beds.. So its only gonna cost bout €1200 to ship that.. Not to bad, is it? dya think we being stupid just bringin them things? LOL!! now to get selling everything in the house!! ARRRRGHHHHH!

Hi Sinead, OH and I had this conversation yesterday and we've decided to take the lot... mind you, with us, that isn't actually a lot! Our bedroom furniture is Ikea, around a year old, and we looked at like for like replacements from Ikea Brisbane. The cost in UK was £600 and the replacement cost in AUS is $1500. For some reason the £20 bedside tables here cost $90 over there, for the same product! We have to ship boxes with personal effects in anyway, so most of the rest of the furniture we're taking is flat pack: bedframe, bedside tables, dresser, desk, bookcases. The only other stuff is mattress, tv and tv stand which is glued together so can't take it apart. We need a new sofa anyway and the white goods are all integrated.

It seemed to be the best option for us. I'm sure I'll revisit that choice many times in the next few months until we actually get quotes etc, but for now I at least feel like I've got one thing (even if it's just a decision) ticked off the to do list.

Morning all,

I know this has probly been covered before, so sorry, but i just want to get some advice!!

We (me, hubby, 2 & 5yr olds) are due to fly out to OZ in September.. However, we are moving out of our house in 3 weeks as its being rented. So our stuff was due to go into storage before beein shipped in August....

HOWEVER.....:twitcy:

The last few days we have thought about just selling everything and starting fresh in OZ. just shipping personal effects... It just seems like so much hassle to bring everything and waiting times and insurance and prices just keep going up with hidden costs... Changing plugs and everything.. We're not the kinda people that need the finest things in life.. All our stuff is 3yrs old that we were bringing. THe only REALLY expensice things were our leather suite and our super king bed.. (thats only 1yr old).

I see loads of mixed reviews on here on what you wish you brought, what people wish they didnt.. bad and good shipping experiences... Really need to decide in the next day or 2.

Basically im just looking to hear as many different sides to the story as possible.. What you did, are you happy, would you do it again...

thanks everyone!!

I think you need to ensure you have thought long and hard about what to bring make a liost and compare prices if you buy in Australia just quite a few people I know who have recently moved here wish they had brought stuff in uk and shipped out i have friends who shipped everything and are happy they did if you are moving out yr house soon and putting stuff in storage why not ship it so it coincides with when you arrive linen is quite expensive here but again this depends where you shop

good luck with the move

Guest MontyClaude
Morning all!! Well we're now down to bring our suite of furniture (worth about €2000 & our new bed worth about €1700) and 15-20 boxes of personal belongings and sentimental items... Leaving the TV's and kitchen appliances and kids beds.. So its only gonna cost bout €1200 to ship that.. Not to bad, is it? dya think we being stupid just bringin them things? LOL!! now to get selling everything in the house!! ARRRRGHHHHH!

Hi Sinead,

We're moving from Kildare to Melbourne in October. We were quoted about 4.5K initially but are now down to about €1600, but that's just for the container (20ft), we do all the packing at both ends and it doesn't cover insurance, customs etc. Is that what you are doing?

Guest sinead
Hi Sinead, OH and I had this conversation yesterday and we've decided to take the lot... mind you, with us, that isn't actually a lot! Our bedroom furniture is Ikea, around a year old, and we looked at like for like replacements from Ikea Brisbane. The cost in UK was £600 and the replacement cost in AUS is $1500. For some reason the £20 bedside tables here cost $90 over there, for the same product! We have to ship boxes with personal effects in anyway, so most of the rest of the furniture we're taking is flat pack: bedframe, bedside tables, dresser, desk, bookcases. The only other stuff is mattress, tv and tv stand which is glued together so can't take it apart. We need a new sofa anyway and the white goods are all integrated.

It seemed to be the best option for us. I'm sure I'll revisit that choice many times in the next few months until we actually get quotes etc, but for now I at least feel like I've got one thing (even if it's just a decision) ticked off the to do list.

We were fully decided we were taking the lot rite up untill a few days ago.. 3 weeks befor we are due to move!! LOL!! we're the most indesicive people you'd ever meet!! LOL!! Yeah i looked up furniture places over there aswell. Couches and beds and the likes of book cases or corner untis are VERY epensive over there, but kitchen appliances seem cheaper than here and so do TV's!! Whatever option i go inthe end, knowing me, im sure ill regret it!! LOL!

Guest sinead
Hi Sinead,

We're moving from Kildare to Melbourne in October. We were quoted about 4.5K initially but are now down to about €1600, but that's just for the container (20ft), we do all the packing at both ends and it doesn't cover insurance, customs etc. Is that what you are doing?

€1600?? who is that with?? i wouldnt mind doing me packing at both ends for that price!! can you send me the details??

Guest sinead
I think you need to ensure you have thought long and hard about what to bring make a liost and compare prices if you buy in Australia just quite a few people I know who have recently moved here wish they had brought stuff in uk and shipped out i have friends who shipped everything and are happy they did if you are moving out yr house soon and putting stuff in storage why not ship it so it coincides with when you arrive linen is quite expensive here but again this depends where you shop

good luck with the move

Thanks for the reply..:biggrin: You think we would have thought about this months ago.. but oh no, not us, always last minute panic!! LOL!!! theres so many pro's and con's to both options.. still a little in limbo...

Guest MontyClaude
€1600?? who is that with?? i wouldnt mind doing me packing at both ends for that price!! can you send me the details??

I'll send you a pm. It's a very basic package and you'll have to pay to clear customs at the other end and get it delivered, not sure how much cheaper it'll work out but if I don't have to pay it yet then I'm happy! Think the insurance was about €600 but I'm not going to bother, I reckon if it gets chucked off the side of a ship then it's gone anyway!!

Good luck with the move, you must be getting very excited and nervous.

Archived