Sending over a box early to avoid excess baggage

Guest destinationoz

Guest destinationoz

We are hoping to move to Canberra in August this year - we have already used our extra allowance as we have validated and now we will be stuck with 20kg as hoping to fly with Singapore (will try and get the extra 5kg some have got ...)

Our things will be shipped 2-3 weeks before we fly, we are then stopping off at Singapore and expect to be in Canberra for 6 weeks before our shipping arrives. We think we are going to need more clothes and shoes (including interview outfits) and possibly a printer for job/house applications etc so are considering sending a box over early with these items in. Sevenseas will charge £120 for one tea-chest box.

Has anyone else done this or do you make do with what you can put in your case?? Maybe I'm overly worrying!! Any tips appreciated!!

We are hoping to move to Canberra in August this year - we have already used our extra allowance as we have validated and now we will be stuck with 20kg as hoping to fly with Singapore (will try and get the extra 5kg some have got ...)

Our things will be shipped 2-3 weeks before we fly, we are then stopping off at Singapore and expect to be in Canberra for 6 weeks before our shipping arrives. We think we are going to need more clothes and shoes (including interview outfits) and possibly a printer for job/house applications etc so are considering sending a box over early with these items in. Sevenseas will charge £120 for one tea-chest box.

Has anyone else done this or do you make do with what you can put in your case?? Maybe I'm overly worrying!! Any tips appreciated!!

Hi, have used the excess baggage company several times, if I remember properly you can send by air or the longer way by sea.

Hi

We are going to be in Canberra from 26/7/11 and have sent 2 tea chest boxes with Seven Seas already,(£150 for 2). As like you we have validated the visas last year and only get the normal baggage allowance. What we put in the boxes was things that would take up alot of room in your case and weigh alot, stuff like big thick jumpers, suits and shoes and jeans, I think it is worth doing this as you don't want to get to the airport and be hit with the excess baggage charges as they are mega pricey.

Rich & Steven

Guest destinationoz

Thanks R&S - good price and good thinking re the heavy items!

Were you restricted by weight on the tea chests?

Thanks lots!

I don't know about seven seas, but the excess baggage company delivers your boxes and then collects them from most places. We used then in Jan this year from Bristol, and they have at least 2 sizes to choose from.

I don't know about seven seas, but the excess baggage company delivers your boxes and then collects them from most places. We used then in Jan this year from Bristol, and they have at least 2 sizes to choose from.

Seven Seas do the same as them, they delivered the boxes to our home with packing materials included and then we just arranged pick up on there website when our boxes where packed, they then deliver them to your address in Au

Rich

Guest destinationoz

Ramot - do you mind me asking how much it was as I cant get a quote online

Rich / Ramot - Did you get insurance ??

Seven Seas do the same as them, they delivered the boxes to our home with packing materials included and then we just arranged pick up on there website when our boxes where packed, they then deliver them to your address in Au

Rich

Sounds as though they are very similar. Good luck with your new life in Oz.

Ramot - do you mind me asking how much it was as I cant get a quote online

Rich / Ramot - Did you get insurance ??

We did get insurance through Seven Seas, but can't remember how much it was and can't find the email with it on, don't think it was alot though

Rich

Guest destinationoz

No probs Ramot - I've worked it out and got a quote!

Thanks lots!

Clearly this is a "normal" thing to do then??!!

We fly on Wednesday and have just air freighted 11 boxes via a company called TransGlobal Express who, in turn, use the likes of DHL, UPS etc. We got an amazing price from them, so definitely worth getting am online quote

• 1 month later...
Guest Chris and Nicole

Hello there Mrs Moo,

Just thought I would revive this thread to ask you how did you find Transglobal Express for your shipping? We got a quote that several hundred pounds cheaper than any other ( just 8 tea chests) and hoped your experience with them was good.

Thanks for your time

Hi Chris and Nicole

I have to admit I thought something was amiss when I got the quote as it was so cheap. However everything went relatively smoothly in the end. The only hitch we had was with the customs declaration form which we hadn't been asked to complete upfront so there was a bit of a delay while we sorted that out with DHL once our stuff was in Sydney. Also bear in mind that their quoted delivery times may be skewed if there are any delays in customs.

Other than that I would definitely recommend them - their price aren't too good to be true!!

Clare

Archived