CPA Accountant Assesment

Joanna82

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this: I want my qualification to be recognized as an accountant through CPA Australia. According to the website, the standards are the same as for an associate CPA membership.

Let me quote:

To meet the requirements for a nominated Australian and New Zealand standard classification of occupations (ANZSCO) code, prospective migrants must have:

1. a formal qualification (or qualifications) that is assessed as comparable to at least an Australian Bachelor degree according to Australian Education International National Office for Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR) and CPA Australia, and
  2. met the English proficiency requirement

The qualification/s must cover at least nine of the following 12 core curriculum areas. Each nominated occupation has four mandatory core knowledge areas.

Since I dont have a degree with a major in Accounting I will not meet all 9 curriculum areas. However, when applying for CPA Australia membership, you can take exams to make up for the missing areas. My question is, can I become a CPA Australia member and then use this towards getting my skills recognized or will I still strike out since it wasnt part of my degree?

Thanks for your help,

Joanna

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this: I want my qualification to be recognized as an accountant through CPA Australia. According to the website, the standards are the same as for an associate CPA membership.

Let me quote:

Since I dont have a degree with a major in Accounting I will not meet all 9 curriculum areas. However, when applying for CPA Australia membership, you can take exams to make up for the missing areas. My question is, can I become a CPA Australia member and then use this towards getting my skills recognized or will I still strike out since it wasnt part of my degree?

Thanks for your help,

Joanna

What professional (if any) qualification do you currently hold?

None. I have a Bsc. and Master in Economics, but I am sure I dont fulfill the 9 core requirements. So my plan was to become a member of CPA Australia (make up for the missing parts through the foundation level exams) and then apply for a migration assesment. Would this work?

Australian accounting degrees go a long way to getting CPA but don't get you membership, just like in the UK where a good finance/business degree will exempt you from many of the exams for CIMA membership (CIMA and CPA are similar accounting institutes and formally recognise each other's qualifications).

To become a member of CPA, I expect you'll have to sit a few exams, gain work experience as an accountant and get your experience assessed and approved for membership.

It's worth it, by the way, but it isn't as easy as showing them your degree. The degree is just the first step to being a member of an accounting institute.

Australian accounting degrees go a long way to getting CPA but don't get you membership, just like in the UK where a good finance/business degree will exempt you from many of the exams for CIMA membership (CIMA and CPA are similar accounting institutes and formally recognise each other's qualifications).

To become a member of CPA, I expect you'll have to sit a few exams, gain work experience as an accountant and get your experience assessed and approved for membership.

It's worth it, by the way, but it isn't as easy as showing them your degree. The degree is just the first step to being a member of an accounting institute.

Australian accounting degrees with subjects specified by CPA taken within the degree lead directly to associate membership.

Migration assessment needs the equivalent of associate membership.

Full membership needs taking the CPA exams and work experience under supervision of a CPA.

Australian accounting degrees with subjects specified by CPA taken within the degree lead directly to associate membership.

Migration assessment needs the equivalent of associate membership.

Full membership needs taking the CPA exams and work experience under supervision of a CPA.

This is my point exactly. Will becoming an assiciate member of CPA Australia be sufficient for a positive migration assessment?

Hi everybody,

Let me quote:

Thanks for your help,

Joanna

I am a little confused by the question but will try to help. Membership of CPA will, as you say, require you sitting further exams but will also require you to gain a certain amount of professional experience to go along with it.

Once you have your membership then the skills assessment will be a given.

The reason I asked whether you already had a professional accountancy qualification was that some institutes such as CIMA have mutual recognition agreements with CPA which means that a member of each body can apply to the other and gain membership by simply being a member of the other body and completing an application form.

Good luck

Si

This is my point exactly. Will becoming an assiciate member of CPA Australia be sufficient for a positive migration assessment?

Usually yes.

But you cannot become an associate member unless you've completed a certain number or core subjects. For australian degrees, they have to be accounting degrees.

To clearify, I know it takes a whole lot more to become a full blown CPA. However, you can apply as an associate member, the process for which is quite similar to the migration assessment, at least with CPA Australia. Basically you send them your foreign degree and transcripts and they decide if you the classes you took cover the core areas required by an Australian accounting degree.

If you do not fulfill the requirements for CPA associate membership, you can take exams through CPA Australia to cover these areas. Once you complete these, you are an associate member.

My question is, will these classes count towards my migration assessment or will they simply look at my non-accounting degree and reject my application?

Hi,

I hope this will help you. If you have an university degree comparable to AQF and pass 8 foundation exams with CPA (you might be exempted from some of them) and get academic ielts 7.0 in all bands, you will be eligible to get your skills assessment. Only your qualification is relevant not work experience. You can apply now for your skills assessment and they will assess you and give you a letter of assessment explaining what you need to do to get your skills assessment. The whole process is quite understandable explained on CPA website.

Thank you, this exactly answers my Question! I know I wont pass the migration assessment now, so my plan is to apply as an associate CPA member and find out which foundation level exams I have to take.

The qualification/s must cover at least nine of the following 12 core curriculum areas. Each nominated occupation has four mandatory core knowledge areas.

This is what confused me. So since my University degrees do not cover 9 out of 12, my associate CPA Australia membership (once I have it) will compensate for this?

Guest jimmyay

When you are member of CPA Australia, you will get a positive migration assessment for your occupation. Furthermore, I remember it is a free service to members.

First thing first... with your current degree, you may be a few years away from becoming CPA Australia member. Then you may be another few years away from 'relevant work experience' assessment.

Please double check with CPA Australia, okay.

Thank you, this exactly answers my Question! I know I wont pass the migration assessment now, so my plan is to apply as an associate CPA member and find out which foundation level exams I have to take.

You aren't clear about associate membership yet.

You need to pass 9/12 core areas to become an associate member of CPA Australia.

If you contact CPAA with details of your current degree, they would advise you of the exams you need to take to cover up to the 9 core areas and be eligible for associate membership.

This is what confused me. So since my University degrees do not cover 9 out of 12, my associate CPA Australia membership (once I have it) will compensate for this?

Not directly. You can only gain associate membership if you are are member of a recognised non-Australian accounting body, or have an an australian degree covering requisite subjects, or for a non-Australian non-accredited degree, have completed the 9/12 core areas.

You aren't clear about associate membership yet.

You need to pass 9/12 core areas to become an associate member of CPA Australia.

If you contact CPAA with details of your current degree, they would advise you of the exams you need to take to cover up to the 9 core areas and be eligible for associate membership.

Not directly. You can only gain associate membership if you are are member of a recognised non-Australian accounting body, or have an an australian degree covering requisite subjects, or for a non-Australian non-accredited degree, have completed the 9/12 core areas.

Yes, but for a non-Australian non-accredited degree, there is the possibility to cover up the 9 core areas through exams. After that, you are eligible for associate membership. Question is, will this lead to a positive migration assessment once you are an associate member?

Yes, but for a non-Australian non-accredited degree, there is the possibility to cover up the 9 core areas through exams. After that, you are eligible for associate membership. Question is, will this lead to a positive migration assessment once you are an associate member?

Why don't you drop them a line? Seems like we ar enot too sure here. I am not convinced that your degree is going to get you associate membership either.

Best answered by CPAA, but yes, generally fulfilling the requirements for associate membership are sufficient for positive skills assessment.

• 6 years later...

Hello,

According to requires of CPA Australia i should cover following mandatory areas for External Auditor occupation

• Accounting Systems and Processes
  • Financial Accounting and Reporting 
  • Management Accounting 
  • Finance and Financial Management
  • Business Law 
  • Economics
  • Quantitative Methods 
  • Audit and Assurance

I have covered all areas In Drexel University, exept the Audit and Assurance area. Is there any ways to cover rest area so i will have a positive result for my chosen occupation

Archived