shipping my boxer dog

kellyjamie

hi everyone,

so we had decided to rehome our loveable gorgeous boy dexter and set about finding the right people and today got a call from a friend to say a couple with 2 boxers are interested in taking him, then it hit me i burst into tears and was devestated at the thought of leaving him behind. jamie has now said we should reconsider taking him seeing how upset i was this morning. am i being selfish taking him puttinh him thru the whole process? hes only 2 but the thought of leaving him is awful????

Kelly:hug:

Guest Guest 47403
hi everyone,

so we had decided to rehome our loveable gorgeous boy dexter and set about finding the right people and today got a call from a friend to say a couple with 2 boxers are interested in taking him, then it hit me i burst into tears and was devestated at the thought of leaving him behind. jamie has now said we should reconsider taking him seeing how upset i was this morning. am i being selfish taking him puttinh him thru the whole process? hes only 2 but the thought of leaving him is awful????

I know it's expensive but if you can afford it I'd say take him, why not?

Guest RunnerBean

I couldn't move to Aus without our pup, she's part of the family! Yes, she'd be the most expensive aspect of our move but worth every penny.

Guest siamsusie

SunshineSmile has just brought her dogs over to Hobart, why not drop her a PM Kelly?

I am the same as Harrington, bring him if you can.

Moving2Melbourne Kate can also advise you on this one, she has the expertise.

:hug: Susie

I am the same as you but in reverse.............................

We were looking to re-home our dog here in Australia.....but at the end of the day, she is part of the family.

I just bit the bullet and arranged the flight for her - I just could not bear to think of her being with someone else and always wondering.......................

Bring your dog over with you - there are plenty of people who have done just this and they will be willing to give you all the information and advise that you need.

hi everyone,

Find the money and bring him, you will regret it if you don't. Plenty of people bring dogs here and they are fine.

Hi we took our two boys with us, they were 4 and 2 years old, travelled really well, i couldn't have left them behind as they are a huge part of our family, they adapted really well even though they were only there a short time before we returned! They had a full health check and all was well, if you find the pennies then do take him along, he will be fine x

Guest SunshineSmile

Hi Kelly...

Please do reconsider, if you can afford to, bring him. It cost me a fortune to bring my staffy and 2 labs, but I would never have been happy without them here. In fact, they have really helped me settle in here and its a wonderful place for dogs with so many beautiful walks, and much less worry about spiders or snakes here than the mainland. We take our dogs to Seven Mile Beach most days and its great for them and therapeutic for us (its a truely beautiful unspoilt beach, and dog friendly).

As for the journey... didnt phase them one bit. They were looked after excellently by Spotswood in Melbourne and we flew them after their 30 days was up with Jetpets.. we just had to collect them at Hobart airport.. it was a wonderful day! :jiggy:

We had some initial big concerns about our staffy as we had to kennel him for 3 weeks before we left and he did lose some weight, but he put it all back on in Spotswood and was absolutely fine when we collected him. They do bark like crazy when they go into their crates to be flown, and I did have some issues with the company we used in Ireland, but the most upset was me, not the dogs. My advice to you would be to maybe let your husband do the dropping off, men can be a bit better and more practical about that kind of thing I find. Mike was great and matter of fact and in the end just said to me "look, their our family, we love them, there coming with us end of story, so stop crying Steph they will be just fine" :biglaugh: I sulked, but he was right!!!

:hug: Steph x

Hi Kelly

We brought our cocker spaniel back from Australia when he was only 7 months old. We had all the vaccinations done ahead of time so that he spent the minimal amount of time in quarantine. We were scared he was going to forget who we were as he was away from us for 7 weeks. But he coped with it fine. I was worse than him. If you can afford it, then definitely take him with you. We are going back at the end of the year and will take Benson with us again. Couldnt bear to leave him behind

am i being selfish taking him puttinh him thru the whole process?

No, as long as he is fit and healthy he will likely cope with the flight and climate change just fine.

The choice to re-locate a dog is more of a financial one than a welfare one tbh.

I've relocated with mine a few times and regularly would bump into fellow Brit expats who had made the choice to leave a beloved dog at home thinking the flight/move/heat was 'cruel' only to arrive and find other families who's dogs had all coped just fine. It was heartbreaking to see them upset as they realised that hundreds of dogs fly each day and almost all cope well.

Relocating is emotionally stressful and tbh I think the cost of flying a well loved pet is more than reimbursed in the comfort and sense of normailty there company and care routine can bring while settling in a new country.

Archived