July 2012 New: Skilled Migrant Selection Model

Guest VickyMel

Xslayer,

You also need 3 years work experience in your nominated occupation. Good luck to the 60,000 former International students trying to get this amount of experience before 2013.

No you don't. The study in australia gets a waiver from the "specific work experience" clause.

As long as the applicant can make it up to the points, there's no other preventative clause to stop them from applying.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody can predict what DIAC does. DIAC will have to process all already received applications CAT-2, CAT-3 & CAT-4 before the deadline

How so? They can keep processing the applications in the backlog while they process the newer ones alongside...the EOI system will reduce the number of applications piling up, because once the "planning level" for each occupation is reached, it wont invite to apply...

Guest Opportunities

Allan,

Please clarify for me... Do I understand that these changes for the EOI is effective 1 July 2012? What happens to current applications for 176's already in DIAC's system and a decision has not yet been made?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Allan,

Please clarify for me... Do I understand that these changes for the EOI is effective 1 July 2012? What happens to current applications for 176's already in DIAC's system and a decision has not yet been made?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

They get processed according to rules applicable on date of lodgement most probably.

Guest nitsy
Looks like Oz is looking to move to a similar system as NZ - with an expression of interest before you fork out the big money

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-migrant-selection-model.htm

Hey Vicky,

It seems they get some sort of satisfaction by putting the applicants in a fix every year..each year it is a new story..they have become so predicitable!!

nitsy

HMMmm

We got our TRA back and booked my IELTS booked for 11th June But won't have time to get SSP in before 1st july changes:mad: and then apply for the 176 visa.

I don't want to waste my money and have to pay twice when these changes happen. So have decided to wait for goverment to make their changes before we apply. JUST HOPE WE will still be able to apply. It is such a stress:arghh:

We are using an agent. xxxx

Guest VickyMel
Hey Vicky,

It seems they get some sort of satisfaction by putting the applicants in a fix every year..each year it is a new story..they have become so predicitable!!

nitsy

You are right - when I joined PIO people were still in shock from the changes in 2008 to MODL and CSL, I thought nothing much of it until we were hit by the changes in 2009, then again changes in 2010.

Seems to be the game that is played.

I really hope that this new system though will make it a fairer game - if like the NZ system you only fork out an admin fee at he beginning to see if DIAC are interested in you.

Then if they are it is only then that you pay out for the full visa fee, skills, IELTS, Meds etc. and if like the NZ system you have a pretty good timeline to expect DIAC to work to.

Vicky

Where is the transparency in the proposed new system?

Who makes the decision to invite, on what basis, and how do you appeal?

Seems to be more akin to a lottery to me.

I am yet to be persuaded that this is the right way for a skilled migration program to go.

Onwards!

Guest VickyMel

A fair comment and concern Alan,

I just feel as someone who has at times been told an estimated time line of 3 months, to then have this change to 2 years, then 3-4 years , then 3 months, that it really messes with your life.

So from that side of things if would be so much better to know that there is a little more certainty that you will be processed within a certain timeline once your application has been provisionally accepted.

The selection of who passes the points system is something that hopefully DIAC will get right as it needs to be something that works for all sectors of occupation types that they seek migrants under.

Where is the transparency in the proposed new system?

Who makes the decision to invite, on what basis, and how do you appeal?

Seems to be more akin to a lottery to me.

I am yet to be persuaded that this is the right way for a skilled migration program to go.

Onwards!

Exactly!

Read the fine print guys. The FAQs already say the applicant will not be entitled for a review by MRT since no visa app has been lodged if the EOI isn't selected in the 2 years time.

Moreover, the FAQs repeatedly talk about it all being handled by the online system and DIAC staff having no say in the selection of EOIs. What Bullsh*t?????! Whom are they kidding?

Any online system does what it is programmed to do. Simple. Someone has to set the criteria for picking up of EOIs from the pool and that 'someone' is the one deciding who makes the cut and who doesn't.

At present, if one is able to score 120 points the visa app would be in. In the new system, what if the criteria is set as "only those with more than 120 points who have masters or PhD". You see, people with bachelors and diplomas are flushed down the drain.

God help the immigration-hopefuls!!

armandra!

Guest VickyMel
At present, if one is able to score 120 points the visa app would be in. In the new system, what if the criteria is set as "only those with more than 120 points who have masters or PhD". You see, people with bachelors and diplomas are flushed down the drain.

God help the immigration-hopefuls!!

armandra!

Have to admit not reading the FAQs

Yup and the reality is the recent systems have alwas managed to cut out on section of the occupations or another. We were never able to reach the points previously even though we have PhDs (as they were not from Oz and so by the time you have experience the loss of age points keeps you out).

With the new system we would have loads of points - but some of the tradies won't make the points. It always seems to backfire somewhere down the line.

Oz needs to develop a robust system that gets them all the occupations they need - but is also fair to applicants.

Chances of that - well... I really hope they can get some good brains to think about it.

The cynic in me thinks that line about not having a right to appeal to the MRT is the crucial one. Having to place an EOI with a two year lifespan means that there's effectively an automatic cap and cease on applicants, without the legal hassles that DIAC faced with that.

Plus it allows them to manage the backlog in a way that suits Australia's needs. That doesn't necessarily coincide with those of a would-be migrant though.

I'm not convinced that it's the end of the world as other posters have said.

I think that it's a fairer system in many ways. There won't be applicants who've paid a fee and then got lost in the backlog for several years, only to be arbitrarily rejected. And it'll prevent particular groups from monopolising visa grants. For example, the much maligned hairdresser would probably have an easier run if all those with Micky Mouse diplomas were pushed down the priority queue.

It's also more transparent. At present the priority system changes on an annual basis, and the inner workings of DIAC are obscure. This one will give a certain amount of feedback to applicants in telling them the current pass mark.

<snip>

It's also more transparent. At present the priority system changes on an annual basis, and the inner workings of DIAC are obscure. This one will give a certain amount of feedback to applicants in telling them the current pass mark.

I admire your confidence in what is proposed ... having been in this game for a few years now I'm a tad more cynical.

What's to stop DIAC changing requirements after the submission of an EOI, for example?

DIAC is rather on the horns of a dilemna, in that demand by individuals who want to migrate to Australia generally exceeds the needs of the Australian economy. What I cannot understand is why we have had so many changes in recent times, supposedly in the name of improving skilled migration outcomes for the country - only to have a quantum leap such as this thrust upon us (agents and applicants).

I thought the SMPs were the panacea. Federal and State Governments spent ages (= taxpayers' money) on this. Applications went on hold for months. SMPs came in what, 6 months ago? We all thought we had something relatively stable (subject to the proposed points test change). And now this.

Almost unbelievable ...

The new system will give DIAC a lot more scope for shifting the goal posts after receiving an EOI, because a would-be migrant won't actually have a visa application submitted.

The reason that I think that this is a more transparent system is that it's clear to an applicant that they don't automatically have a right to receive a visa, and also provides information on the selection criteria.

In contrast, the existing system gives applicants the expectation that their case will be examined by DIAC, and if they meet the requirements then a visa will be granted. But the reality is that a large percentage of the backlog probably won't get looked at anytime in the next few years, and will ultimately be subject to a cap and cease.

I am surprised by the amount of ongoing changes with the immigration process, and also that this wasn't brought in with the new points test. I don't know whether we're seeing a process of stepwise reform based on a master plan we're not privy to, or if the department is reacting to events. I suspect the latter.

My view is that the significant GSM backlog is substantially an overhang of the large numbers of students who applied for permanent residency visas once they had completed their courses - in good faith.

In the absence of these visa applications my gut feel (I haven't looked at the stats) is that there would be little or no category 4 backlog, and the GSM program would be under control.

I believe that almost all of the changes to the program over the last few years are driven by a need to get the backlog/"excess demand" caused by the onshore applicants out of the system - which in turn is an indictment of the failure of DIAC/Government to plan properly.

Indeed, politically I'm sure the Government doesn't welcome being reminded of extended skilled visa processing times and disgruntled onshore students on bridging visas. The EOI strategy enables the Government to be seen to be going on the front foot - though there would be no imperative for EOI strategies if demand (including the backlog) matched the supply of visas.

Best regards.

http://g4online.org/lives-on-hold

According to the figures in the above article:

As at 31 Oct 2010:

5,000 onshore applicants waiting for more than two years

Another 19,000 onshore applicants waiting for more than a year

Another 60,000 offshore applicants waiting for more than a year

I have a feeling that if there is a revival of the cap and cease bill, offshore applicants will be targeted like they did for pre Sept 2007 but I could be wrong. The reality is that there always has been more offshore than onshore applicants. So many International students return to their home countries and some cannot lodge applications due to inability to meet the requirements at that stage. 10% of graduates actually apply for PR visas.

Will be interesting to see what the government does. I think there will be a massive outcry from the education sector if former International student graduates got capped and ceased. Also most of these 40,000 individuals have pretty much established links with many Australians (partners, friends, work colleagues, etc) so it will be interesting if the government would be willing to sever those ties.

And the wait begins to find out what happens...

The literature that DIAC has published so far says that visa subclasses/names will remain the same (175, 176, 885, 886 etc)...Under the current Migration Act's s39, cap and cease is effectively possible when visa classes/subclasses are rearranged...

For the previous "cap and cease", the 136 visa was phased out in favour of the 175 and so on...

Guest sc138

what will be the future for prospective new students, who are intend to apply for PR once they finish their study?

my question is if you have found any mention about ability to wait onshore while waiting for EOI. Thanks!

Absolutely!!!

Its a dead story for someone who has a student visa on or after 8 feb 2010

No.

Students will be able to get a 485, and then lodge an EOI...the 485 is not points tested and will not be under the EOI system...

I think 485 is finishing in 2013 Jan.I did had a link of that but not sure where it was.Can someone confirm this or I am wrong?

Archived