Australian Immigration Queues

connaust

Guest VickyMel

Equally applies to many of the 2007/8/9 applicants now in Category 4 who applied when their skills were in high demand.

Not to mention the poor folks pre-Sept 2007 who were capped and ceased.

Really is an awful situation for both groups and I hope that there are some changes to ensure that these groups do get processed.

Really is an awful situation for both groups and I hope that there are some changes to ensure that these groups do get processed.

I envy those who were capped and ceased. They did not have to put their lives on hold, be disgraced and eventually develop mental problems. I really envy them.

I'm not sure what this "cap and cease" thing is. Can someone enlighten me?

The minister decides that you did not make an application:

I am writing with reference to the application for a Class BQ, Subclass 138 Skilled - Australian Sponsored visa, received by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship on 30 August 2007.

Under Section 39 of the Migration Act 1958 (the Act), the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship has the power to set the maximum number of visas of a class that may be granted in a particular financial year. Any outstanding applications of that class are taken not to have been made.

The number of places in the skilled migration program available to applicants who are not sponsored by an employer has been declining, and has continued to decline in 2009–10. The Section 39 limit has been imposed in the 2009–10 financial year to reflect changes in government priorities.

On 8 February 2010 the Minister announced that he would set a maximum number for certain offshore skilled migration visas made before 1 September 2007 that could be granted in the 2009–10 program (financial) year. In accordance with the provisions of Section 39 of the Act, once the Minister sets a cap and this number is reached, any unfinalised applications cannot be processed further.

This application is one that is affected by the “cap and cease provisions” outlined above and on 25 June 2010 the cap was reached. This means that for the reasons outlined above, this application “is taken never to have been made” and no further processing can occur.

As this application is taken not to have been made, a repayment of any initial visa application charge (VAC) as well as any second VACs paid, will be made. This repayment will be made by bank draft or electronic transfer after confirmation is received by the department of the payer of these charges, together with their current postal address. If you are seeking a repayment of a VAC, please complete the attached form and return it ...

Visa applicants can pay for IELTS, skills assessment, migration agent's professional fees, visa application charge and ancillary costs and lodge a perfectly good visa application, only to have it thrown in their face years later.

Guest nicnacnoo1

can any one give us uptodate information on medicals in manchester and more importantly the cost 2 adults 2 children aged 7 and 8

thanks nic =lou:smile:

can any one give us uptodate information on medicals in manchester and more importantly the cost 2 adults 2 children aged 7 and 8

thanks nic =lou:smile:

what do you need to know, we went to Manchester a few week ago, Nice panel doctor, very easy going etc cost us just short of £900 for Family 5 examination, xray, blood etc.

Guest VickyMel
I envy those who were capped and ceased. They did not have to put their lives on hold, be disgraced and eventually develop mental problems. I really envy them.

They had put their lives on hold for 4 years - some of them staying in Oz at great expense (EDIT: see next post - cap and cease did not affect onshore applicants - maybe I am thinking of some of the international students who stayed after studies were complete).

But I suppose they got some degree of finalisation - unlike many people who have been waiting Sept 2007 and 2008 onwards who still have no answer.

Me - I'd rather still be waiting as it is where I want to be. I would prefer that DIAC gave people the option after waiting say 2 years - do you want to continue waiting or have your money back.

I'm not sure what this "cap and cease" thing is. Can someone enlighten me?

Wrussell put it well.

People applied - probably for a visa where they expected a relatively short wait until it was processed. They paid for all the skills and IELTS tests, agents fees - then they waited and waited and waited and when 4 years had passed the Oz government said actually we have changed our minds and don't want you any more.

What is really awful is that some of those people could apply under a new visa type and be equally eligible now to get a visa - but the rules say you can't switch visa types.

So they then have the option of forking out all the money for another visa application and probably new skills and IELTS and agents fees - with no assurance that they have any more change of getting a visa this time around!

Especially during 2009 and 2010 the changes in priorities had everyone changing priorities on a regular basis. Over a period of 2 years we were at the top of the priority list when we started, then half way down, then at the bottom and luckily back to the top of the list. Many who applied for the same visa as us, at the same time as us, and others from 2008, have not been as 'lucky' are still in the bottom priority waiting and hoping.

Archived