Point Cook and surrounding areas

MazPaul

Hi everyone we are looking at coming to the west side of Melbourne and want advice on areas .We see that Point Cook is better priced for property than over on the east side. We need a good secondary school for our oldest which it seems Point Cook only has one, what are Wyndham Vale and Werribee like,also looking higher up there is Deer Park and places around there are they still similar priced to round Point Cook too.We are looking at all options but some pointing in the right direction would be a huge help.

Thanks Paul.:biggrin:

Welcome to the site, have a look in the Victoria Suburb forum there is a lot of information about the western suburbs that you may find helpful. Also there is an ongoing thread about living in the west.

I am not up with the west at all, in Melbourne you either live north of the Yarra or South and never the twain shall meet. I live south. I do have some friends though that have uprooted themselves and took themselves off to a small town near Geelong called Bannockburn and are building there. The fact that their son lives there had something to do with it though.

There are few Westies on here who can help you, but I would say that Deer Park is not the best place to choose exactly, Point Cook is okay, not far to travel to the city if you need it, but the traffic is a bit of shuffle from there, as it is from all directions now unfortunately.

SMQ info ????

there are a lot of house for sale because there is a lot of building going on out there!! it is a new town and needs to grow.

Olly - what is wrong with Deer Park? it is closer to the city than Point Cook, I merge with the traffic from that area a couple of times a week as we all try to head over the West Gate bridge between 7am and 9am.

I have no experience of schools over her by I heard that the secondary in Point Cook is good, that all the schools there are pretty good.

There is a website and a book you can get that tells you about the schools, I am sure someone will know what they are.

I like Caroline Springs, it is establishing its self really well, lots of good facilities but I do not know anything about the schools.

With children heading for teenage years I would suggest looking into how good the transport links are, there is a new station going in at Williams Landing but there is no train station at Point Cook I think they bus it to Hoppers and take the train from there.

Good luck with your search

Guest garfee

Hi - my 1st post but I have been in Melbourne nearly a year!

There was an interesting article in this week's wyndham leader which you may be able to read online about school enrolment numbers already well ahead of projections and residents campaigning for more schools - allegedly Point Cook is the quickest growing area in Australia. In our experience the schools are good but very large - our son started prep and there were over 100 children in his year across 5 or 6 classes, not quite so sure about secondary though..

Good luck with your search..

Hi,

We have lived in Point cook for a year and it is ok.

Positives

All the properties are a good size and reasonable in price

The shopping centre is fab for day to day things and easy access with free parking

Alamanda estate is good as has a lovely outdoor pool for those warm days

Primary schools are fab - BUT you have to live in catchment areas so be careful when choosing houses

Secondary school - Emanuel college is also a very good secondary school. Its catholic so will charge (about $4000 a year) but not as expensive as private

Fab butcher

Good restaurants

Negatives:

Traffic traffic traffic - Its becoming worse and worse and can sometimes take half an hour just to get to the freeway and then an hour from there to city. It will not get better.!!1

Public transport - buses not very frequent to ralway station (about one every 40 mins) and they stop at 7pm

Taxis - you just cant get them at night

No real heart of a community. PC is so big now and spread out.

Point cook secondary and Carranballac have not got the best academic reputation

We have had a good time here in the last year, but tbh I would look (if you can afford) at moving somewhere like Williamstown. Its got a fab centre, with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. good rail links and a beach. The primary schools and the high school (state) is excellent and gets good grades.

Also easier to get into city n a morning (about 35 mins in peak traffic).

Good luck

Elaine

If you can rent/buy in an established suburb as the services are all available, no waiting for new schools, new kinders, police stations, internet access etc etc.

A lot of the newer areas have experienced so much growth that they are not coping that well with the infrastructure and internet can be hit and miss in some of the estates due to the developers not putting in the right cable, cheaper option than is required, therefore you have to rely on wifi. I do not know about you but internet access and good access is paramount in my life. We are fortunate we have excellent internet access here. We are just on the fringe, the people over the road cannot get ADSL2 as they are too far from the exchange, we just scrape in.

As there is a cross section of the demographics in established suburbs there is not such a strain on class sizes and schools.

New house and land packages are attractive to first home buyers as the banks will lend more money on new housing so the age of the children seems to be similar therefore putting a strain on services. The baby bonus has made this worse.

Unfortunately established suburbs close to the city are very expensive however there are established suburbs further out, may be they do not look as attractive as the new suburbs but its all about how we live not what we look like, at least I think so.

Have a look on Google earth, could look at Rosanna say Bulleen, areas to the north a bit these are established suburbs.

SMQ info ????

there are a lot of house for sale because there is a lot of building going on out there!! it is a new town and needs to grow.

Olly - what is wrong with Deer Park? it is closer to the city than Point Cook, I merge with the traffic from that area a couple of times a week as we all try to head over the West Gate bridge between 7am and 9am.

I have no experience of schools over her by I heard that the secondary in Point Cook is good, that all the schools there are pretty good.

There is a website and a book you can get that tells you about the schools, I am sure someone will know what they are.

I like Caroline Springs, it is establishing its self really well, lots of good facilities but I do not know anything about the schools.

With children heading for teenage years I would suggest looking into how good the transport links are, there is a new station going in at Williams Landing but there is no train station at Point Cook I think they bus it to Hoppers and take the train from there.

Good luck with your search

I am in Caroline Springs and couldn`t imagine living anywhere else in the western suburbs and i think with the Deer Park bypass open it is a quicker commute to the city then P/Cook because you merge with the traffic a lot nearer the city and of course you also have the option of using the Calder F/Way and plenty of parking at the Watergardens for the train ( helps that it is the start of the line so you always get a seat ).

P.s I believe i may know you ? I think i may have done some work around your sisters house !!!!!!!!!!

Lee :unsure:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We looked at point cook and the surrounding areas when i was looking at work there and the new build areas and houses were fantantstic and at a great price, it looked like a really modern, new area with alot of opportunities for good housing and jobs, with it not being far from the city.

Archived