Culture,what is it?

pablo

Guest littlesarah

Culture is really very hard to define, and I don't think it's possible to have a universal definition. Seems to me that discussions about this issue often seem to revolve around people wishing to either include themselves in a perceived notion that anything artistic is intrinsically 'cultured', or those who deem the arts to be the preserve of middle-class snobs.

I know it's very unfashionable on this forum, but I enjoy making and listening to music, including that described by most as 'classical'. It's something I've always enjoyed, for as long as I can remember. I play and go to concerts because I want to. I don't really care whether anyone else likes the same thing, and I don't look down on anyone who doesn't share the same interests as me.

So, on the question of culture, for me, the music I've grown up with and am still exploring is very much part of my culture. It reflects the influences of the society in which the composer lived and/or was living, it reflects the tastes and interpretation of the performer(s), and the choice of programme may well reflect the taste and fashions of the day.

Equally, though, spending time in nature is part of my culture; my values reflect those of the culture in which I was raised. It's all very complex, and, I would argue, quite personal in these days of nuclear existence (no reference to recent events in the Pacific region intended).

"the attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a particular social group or organization" (Princeton)

So yes, it's the people, though obviously these things are influenced by the surroundings :)

So if you use that definition it's no use saying that Australia, or anywhere else, has none. Just because it doesn't fit in with yours means that it's just a different culture, that's all.

I've also seen on here that Australia is often viewed as "backward" by some people. That's a difficult expression to analyse too.

I agree with some opinions on here ... surely culture is both of those things - People and places?

For example when you read about places to visit .. you may hear/ read .. Its a very cultural city / place? I would asume that this would mean ... that the place is enjoyed by the people who inhabit it.. and it has some great cultural spots i.e museums of local interest . art galleries .. cafe culture ( more to do with people I think) All I am saying is Culture cant just be defined purely to the people but also about the place they live in and how that enviroment has adapted and formed there lives... Hope that is easy to read lol

Guest RichB

Yes it is pretty much the same in Australia as anywhere else..the majority is as braindead as anywhere else...All you have to see is the utter hatred the majority of Australians have for their native wildlife to see what kind of people alot of them really are..money obsessed, footy crazy, drink fuelled Morons.. Note I didnt label all Australians like this...

Guest siamsusie
Yes it is pretty much the same in Australia as anywhere else..the majority is as braindead as anywhere else...All you have to see is the utter hatred the majority of Australians have for their native wildlife to see what kind of people alot of them really are..money obsessed, footy crazy, drink fuelled Morons.. Note I didnt label all Australians like this...

:mad:How you seriously can write such utter claptrap is beyond me!

WOW !! The majority ? thats a bit rough aint it ? I thought the oz folk were quite keen on there environment and wildlife ? Have I got it wrong ?

I would be very very keen on the enviroment and always get involved when I see people dropping litter for example, mistreating animals , disrespecting there suroundings... but the majority ? surely you have that wrong ?

WOW !! The majority ? thats a bit rough aint it ? I thought the oz folk were quite keen on there environment and wildlife ? Have I got it wrong ?

I would be very very keen on the enviroment and always get involved when I see people dropping litter for example, mistreating animals , disrespecting there suroundings... but the majority ? surely you have that wrong ?

I think there is only 1 moron involved & it is..........

Guest siamsusie

Well you only have to look at the strict quarantine laws, the quarantine laws interstate, etc to realise that this is one of the strictest countries in the world..... all in the aid of the environment and wild life.

Susie x

Guest Mallam

Wow, what a good thread, culture to me is wen you go itoanother country , you will be confronted with different people behaviors, different foods, different lifestyles and different ways of doing things ife. Most of people are Mildly amused when they see that. But most of the time they are making fun , being narrow-minded, forgetting that everybody does not have the same culture.

Understanding culture is important, as it makes you aware and more sensitive to differences, and you could avoid big mistake in your behavior or maybe adjust, but at least to respect the people that belong to other cultures than your own.

Guest RichB

Susie with due respect...I assumed that you had lived in Australia for a long time..Do you know much about Australias wildlife and how it is treated by the government and the majority of Australians..This article is just one of hundreds of particular interest to me as it is just up the road where it happened..

Shortly after protesters had dispersed from Preston Beach on the 5th of May, 2010 the kangaroo shooters moved in. The following morning residents were horrified to find blood stained walkways along with injured and dead joeys. An RSPCA investigation found no evidence of cruelty despite photographic evidence of a decapitated juvenile kangaroo on the border of Yalgorup National Park.

The RSPCA whitewash of this government sanctioned slaughter inevitably cheapens the value of kangaroos in the eyes of some members of society. Sadistic acts of kangaroo cruelty are commonplace. You need look no further than the carnage left behind after one of these culls to see where much of this cruelty stems from. The RSPCA are supposed to represent "All Creatures Great and Small" but a sheep or kangaroo in Western Australia can expect no mercy from this organisation supposedly empowered to protect them.

No.. Not all just "majority of Australians "..... you idiot.

Susie with due respect...I assumed that you had lived in Australia for a long time..Do you know much about Australias wildlife and how it is treated by the government and the majority of Australians..This article is just one of hundreds of particular interest to me as it is just up the road where it happened..

Shortly after protesters had dispersed from Preston Beach on the 5th of May, 2010 the kangaroo shooters moved in. The following morning residents were horrified to find blood stained walkways along with injured and dead joeys. An RSPCA investigation found no evidence of cruelty despite photographic evidence of a decapitated juvenile kangaroo on the border of Yalgorup National Park.

The RSPCA whitewash of this government sanctioned slaughter inevitably cheapens the value of kangaroos in the eyes of some members of society. Sadistic acts of kangaroo cruelty are commonplace. You need look no further than the carnage left behind after one of these culls to see where much of this cruelty stems from. The RSPCA are supposed to represent "All Creatures Great and Small" but a sheep or kangaroo in Western Australia can expect no mercy from this organisation supposedly empowered to protect them.

These are professional kangaroo shooters the article was about. They were there to cull Kangaroos which had reached nuisance numbers. They were there to do a job, nothing more, nothing less.

Not exactly representative of the MAJORITY of Australians.

Archived