new luggage allowance confusion

marta

So my partner and I will be entering Melbourne on a 457 visa for the first time. We would like to book flights for the 7th of June.

But we don't know which airline to chose because of unclear information with regard to individiual luggage allowance.

I know this question has been asked already but I still would like to find out what is correct or incorrect right now. The reason for this is that some airlines do not seem to know themselves what's going on, and to me it looks as if they just want to make more money by charging extra luggage (as a consequence of not stating clearly how much luggage is allowed) which puts them on a level with Ryanair.

Well, BA have no clue, like always, and Qantas did not even bother replying to my request. How rude ist that!

So here is what I was told so far:

-BA (operated by Qantas) replied in a confused email they don't know how much luggage I can take on a 457 visa and that I have to contact Quantas directly (which I did without success). Great help. Thanks BA! Well, surprisingly they replied fast.

-Singapore: No double allowance as we only have a 457 visa so will not stay permanently (only 20 kg each). Good to know, and I received a friendly answer within an hour by email which is a plus.

-Emirates: Quite clear. 30kg each. Horrendous prices for extra luggage (£35 per kg or something)

-Virgin: flights too expensive for me

-Qantas: Big secret or what?! Somewhere hidden on their website one can read this:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/migrant-terms-and-conditions/gb/en

So the above link SEEMS to imply that I get double luggage allowance on a 457 visa as I will be entering Australia for the first time. However, as I am a stubborn and grumpy German I want to be extra careful and therefore would have appreciated if Qantas could confirm that I got that right, right?

So my question is this:

Does anyone know for sure, or recently travelled with Qantas from UK to Australia, that first time migrants (as mentioned in the link above) can take 40 kg (20kg+20kg) without additional costs? And if so, how does it work exactly?

The thing is I would have to pay horrendous prices if I take more than 20kg - which I will - (in case Qantas will not give me 40kg) and surely I would want to avoid this from happening.

Also to be honest with all the trouble and the rubbishy customer service I am not really sure anymore if I really want to give Qantas £600+ (single fare) just like that...

I am also curious. Do you recommend Emirates in a case like this? At least I could take 30kg. (For future flights I will try out Singapore Airlines when I only take 20kg.)

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.:wubclub:

It will be cheaper to ship a couple of boxes airfreight and easier than coping with lots of bags if you need extra stuff.

There are lots of companies we shipped a guitar and a bike from Oz to UK and just collected them at the airport, door to door is much more expensive!

Ok yes, I will have to send the books I need instantly on arrival earlier by post then.

But what about this link I copied in above? I thought it clearly states that someone on a 457 visa IS entitled to two bags with Qantas?

Did someone use Qantas recently on a 457 for the first time?

Ok as nobody seems to have any other ideas I came up with one myself.:idea:

So I asked Singapore Airlines directly via email if they would allow us to take 30kg luggage as a goodwill gesture when entering Australia for the first time on a 457 visa, and they said yes. YAY. That is so cool. We just have to refer our booking number to the lady who sent me the email and she will leave a message on the system.

The thing is I googled a bit and got the impression that Singapore Airlines seem to have a very good overall service and are very friendly and helpful. So it has been decided we use them and if everything goes fine we will use them too in the future (then with 20kg luggage of course).

We've just booked with BA. They give you 23kg, but you can pre-pay to check in an additional bag (another 23kg) for only £32. You can also take on board you hand luggage and a laptop case. So my partner and I are taking 4x cases (23kg each), and 2 bags and 2 laptop cases in the cabin for only (£62 extra). I thought that was a good deal.

Guest Revs30
Ok as nobody seems to have any other ideas I came up with one myself.:idea:

So I asked Singapore Airlines directly via email if they would allow us to take 30kg luggage as a goodwill gesture when entering Australia for the first time on a 457 visa, and they said yes. YAY. That is so cool. We just have to refer our booking number to the lady who sent me the email and she will leave a message on the system.

The thing is I googled a bit and got the impression that Singapore Airlines seem to have a very good overall service and are very friendly and helpful. So it has been decided we use them and if everything goes fine we will use them too in the future (then with 20kg luggage of course).

Did you email the reservation and flight inquiries or the baggage office email address at Heathrow?

We've just booked with BA. They give you 23kg, but you can pre-pay to check in an additional bag (another 23kg) for only £32. You can also take on board you hand luggage and a laptop case. So my partner and I are taking 4x cases (23kg each), and 2 bags and 2 laptop cases in the cabin for only (£62 extra). I thought that was a good deal.

But the small print says if the flight is operated by a different airline (e.g. Qantas) different regulations MAY apply. And Qantas charges something like £35 per extra kilo (ONE kilo). So this small print was the reason why I started my little investigation! And I will not take the risk of arriving at the airport, or changing planes in Singapore or Hong Kong, and then being informed that I need to pay £1000 for my extra bag. I heard that this happened to some members of this forum, and that is why I wanted to be on the safe side.

However, I hope everything turns out fine with your flight.

I would be interested to know if everything went fine.

But the small print says if the flight is operated by a different airline (e.g. Qantas) different regulations MAY apply. And Qantas charges something like £35 per extra kilo (ONE kilo). So this small print was the reason why I started my little investigation! And I will not take the risk of arriving at the airport, or changing planes in Singapore or Hong Kong, and then being informed that I need to pay £1000 for my extra bag. I heard that this happened to some members of this forum, and that is why I wanted to be on the safe side.

However, I hope everything turns out fine with your flight.

I would be interested to know if everything went fine.

That's interesting. Our flight is operated by BA throughout and we're not changing planes, just stopping for re-fueling so we're gonna do it. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes though.

That's interesting. Our flight is operated by BA throughout and we're not changing planes, just stopping for re-fueling so we're gonna do it. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes though.

Then you are lucky and probably not going from London to Melbourne.

This explains why you could take the extra bags for a very good price!

Archived