Cigarettes costs

twinkletoes35

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JT1977

Probably not, as kids are sick little creatures. In the UK, when they started doing stuff like that on the boxes, there were reports of kids collecting the packs!

Guest JT1977

For those who doubt the tax return versus tax spent on smokers, in 2008 alone, the cost to the NHS for smoking related diseases was £2.7 Billion. Revenue through excise and VAT on tobacco was £10 Billion, so smokers REALLY do help to keep your taxes down! By the way, for those who seem to have COMPLETELY missed the whole thing of obesity, £5 Billion was spent on treating obesity related illnesses!

http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-publications-research/facts-figures/tax-revenue-from-tobacco/

http://www.ecancermedicalscience.com/news-insider-news.asp?itemId=311

http://themensmag.com/lifestyle/health/20-of-obesity-surgery-patients-male/

Guest JT1977

Irrelevent? Yet again, I ask you, do you make a point of telling obese people that they are killing themselves? Do you go poking your nose in their lives? Do you tell them that they are likely to die a slow death in front of their family?

Guest guest30038
Stop raising irrelevant issues.

It is about your health

What is? The thread?

The thread was about the cost of cigarettes, not about those who hijacked it for either altruisitc reasons (which I doubt) but more likely for sanctimonious, hypocritical reasons.

I abstained for 14 yrs. Not once did I attempt to lecture those who smoked as to why they should pack it in. The reasons not to smoke are widely publicised and either heeded or ignored. It is not for me, or anyone else to preach or judge as to how someone else lives their life as long as they do no harm to others. Those who do so "talk down" to smokers in a derisory fashion are little more than bigots.

Guest Revs30
Irrelevent? Yet again, I ask you, do you make a point of telling obese people that they are killing themselves? Do you go poking your nose in their lives? Do you tell them that they are likely to die a slow death in front of their family?

Hmmm, I like Parleycross but then i also like JT1977, but which is better, there's only one way to find out fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhht

Guest JT1977

But I am also talking about the attitude of anti-smokers and the fact that they will concentrate on smokers, yet not bother treating others, just as deserving, of the same attitude and lectures.

And, if you really want to talk about irrelevence, the original poster only assked a question about cost. They even actually stated that they do not like their other half smoking, but others then decided to change the thread to a lecture, showing the same kind of irrelevence as me pointing out peoples attitudes!

Guest guest30038
This thread is about smoking not obesity.

Okay I accept your point but we are talking about smoking. Not everything else in the world that is also bad for your health.

No it's not. It's about the cost of cigarettes..............or was.......... until the thread was hijacked.

Guest guest30038
But I am also talking about the attitude of anti-smokers and the fact that they will concentrate on smokers, yet not bother treating others, just as deserving, of the same attitude and lectures.

Nobody is "deserving" of similar attitudes and lectures. We're adults aren't we? Capable of making our own choices, irrespective of whether those choices may harm us? Why should that be deserving of a holier than thou attitude and lecturing by the sanctimonious?

Guest guest30038
Okay. We better close the thread then as the cost of cigarettes has been well and truly answered.

I don't think I said anything holier than thou or sanctimonious by the way.

I wasn't referring directly to you. In fact i wasn't referring to any particular individual as the sanctimonious wouldn't recognise it in themselves anyway. The same applies to bigots.

Guest JT1977
Nobody is "deserving" of similar attitudes and lectures. We're adults aren't we? Capable of making our own choices, irrespective of whether those choices may harm us? Why should that be deserving of a holier than thou attitude and lecturing by the sanctimonious?

It was for want of a better phrase, more than anything really! My bad!

Guest guest30038
Anyway, I think its good to have a discussion like this on a forum, as it would never happen face to face with someone.

What's there to discuss? Everyone knows the risk and takes the choice. It seems to me that you confuse discussion with preaching............to those likely not to be converted.

What's there to discuss? Everyone knows the risk and takes the choice. It seems to me that you confuse discussion with preaching............to those likely not to be converted.

Maybe. But for many people it may also just become a habit that they don't continually think about why they smoke. So the discussion is useful.

Guest guest30038
Maybe. But for many people it may also just become a habit that they don't continually think about why they smoke. So the discussion is useful.

You don't have much faith in the intelligence of the average person then? Of course they don't "continually think about why they smoke" just as they're not likely to think too hard about the consequences. They have already made the choice, knowing the consequences.

Guest JT1977

Parleycross, smokers do have intelligence! We're not sub human who can't think for themselves! There is plenty on the TV, in the papers etc about the harmful effects of smoking, it's not a case of us sticking our heads in the sand, we KNOW the risks, we KNOW what it does, but, we don't care, we think the risk is outweighed by the pleasure we get from it!

Tonyman, no, it was a question about the cost of smoking until you got on your soapbox.

Guest Guest16631

..to smoke or not to smoke................................Current smokers have a lower risk of developing ulcerative colitis.........................An association between smoking and a lower incidence of Parkinson's disease ...............Smoking offers a protective effect against developing cancer of the endometrium ........................and the negatives.............you have an increased chance of lung cancer, throat and mouth cancer .....................its your choice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest JT1977

Also, you say that we would never have this discussion face to face? Well that just goes to show that some people prefer the relative anonymity of the internet as, for the average smoker, we get it a lot more often than you would think! Face to face!

Parleycross, smokers do have intelligence! We're not sub human who can't think for themselves! There is plenty on the TV, in the papers etc about the harmful effects of smoking, it's not a case of us sticking our heads in the sand, we KNOW the risks, we KNOW what it does, but, we don't care, we think the risk is outweighed by the pleasure we get from it!

Tonyman, no, it was a question about the cost of smoking until you got on your soapbox.

Is it really still a pleasure ?

Or does it start off as a pleasure and then slowly become an addiction and just something you continue to do.

Guest JT1977
Is it really still a pleasure ?

Or does it start off as a pleasure and then slowly become an addiction and just something you continue to do.

I still enjoy it. Yes, it is an addiction, but I know that if I wanted to quit, I could, I was off them for several years, but I made a conscious decision to go back on them, because I enjoyed smoking and I still do.

Archived