We had our medicals ;)

GaryandGillDublin

Well just to reassure anybody waiting to have their medicals - it's not that bad :biggrin:

We had ours on Friday in The Mater Hospital, Dublin. The whole thing only took about an hour and a half for the two of us from start to finish. Everyone involved - the girl checking us in, the phlebotomist, the doctor and X-ray staff - were so nice to deal with which made the experience a lot better than expected.

Worse bit for me was getting the bloods taken (not great with needles) but in saying that I didn't pass out which is always a bonus haha.

Basically we checked in, gave our TRN (online application), all personal details etc. confirmed and photos taken.

We then sat in waiting room for about ten mins before being called in to get bloods taken. We were given the little pots for the urine sample (you know what happens here :cute:). Then waited maybe 10-15 mins before the doctor called us in (one at a time). She was lovely. Checked height, weight, eyes (reading letters from wall chart), ears (puts little device in ears and asks if you can hear the little beeps). Then has a feel around your neck, arms, armpits, shoulders. Then lay down and checks your stomach, knees and hips. She also checked chest with stetiscope and advised I have a heart murmur:eek: but nothing to worry about and checked blood pressure.

We then headed straight down for chest x-ray. Hubby was taken straight in, I waited about 15 mins and had mine. We settled the bill of €600 and went home.

They advised the results should be availble online in about a week.

So honestly if anyone is worrying about them (like I was), there's no need.

Fingers crossed for some good news on visa soon.

Guest Harry A

Hi Gill,

Thanks for info, it all seems fairly straight forward!

Got requested meds and police checks 6 weeks ago but can't have meds done until the has our third baby! Itching to get them done but x rays not recommended while pregnant. But she's only got another 5 weeks!

Thanks again and all the best for the future.

Hi Gill,

Thanks for info, it all seems fairly straight forward!

Got requested meds and police checks 6 weeks ago but can't have meds done until the has our third baby! Itching to get them done but x rays not recommended while pregnant. But she's only got another 5 weeks!

Thanks again and all the best for the future.

Ah not long to go for you now. 5 weeks will fly.

We were the same, couldn't arrange police checks and meds quick enough. Just afraid something will change before you get the next stage done :laugh:

Good luck with your new arrival and your visa.

Hi Gill,

we had ours on Friday (after lunch) as well at the Mater. It's exactly as you said, nice and easy.

The people at the Mater are very nice and very accommodating if there are kids involved. Our young lady enjoyed herself despite being checked.

I don't know if it was you that the wife was talking to in the X-ray dept, but either way, best of luck.

Harry.

Hi Gill,

we had ours on Friday (after lunch) as well at the Mater. It's exactly as you said, nice and easy.

The people at the Mater are very nice and very accommodating if there are kids involved. Our young lady enjoyed herself despite being checked.

I don't know if it was you that the wife was talking to in the X-ray dept, but either way, best of luck.

Harry.

Small world eh? Yep, that was us :biggrin:

Best of luck to you too. Fingers crossed for the medicals, let us know if ya hear anything.

Guest Burchos

Hi Gill

Thanks for your post. We are having our meds done on Monday 28th March. I am nervous, but reading your post has made me feel better.

Thank you

Penny

Guest melbish35

We had our medicals done in February in London. We took our 2 year old son. It only took a hour and a half from start to finish. They were very friendly and made you feel at ease. There is nothing to worry about at all. Just a little tip, if taking children under 5, take your red book, as no one told me that, but it was all ok. We now have our visas!!! and are just waiting for our house to sell!

Small world eh? Yep, that was us :biggrin:

Best of luck to you too. Fingers crossed for the medicals, let us know if ya hear anything.

Cheers, will do...just checked online and they have received something, but it doesn't specify. The young lady's meds are finalized though.

Best of luck,

Harry.

Archived