Ellenbrook and Aveley - What are they like?

Goochie

Does anyone here have an opinion on the Ellenbrook and Aveley areas ?

We dont have kids yet but ehy may well be on the way soonish after arriving in Oz. Also my wife doesnt drive so some shops or at least public transport into the city would be nice.

Will it be a tad warm being so far from the sea?

I'll be probably be commuting to work on the industrial estates near the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

We dont have kids yet but ehy may well be on the way soonish after arriving in Oz. Also my wife doesnt drive so some shops or at least public transport into the city would be nice.

I'll be probably be commuting to work on the industrial estates near the airport.

Hi,

I know Ellenbrook better than Aveley but both places are situated out near the swan valley region. Its a beautiful bushland area and a popular wine growing region. In the winter the area is green and full of life, but in summer it is all very hot, dry and arrid. There is a constant threat of bushfires out that way in fact we had a big one out there recently and a friend of mine in neighbouring Caversham was evacuated from her house. Very frightening if that happens.

Ellenbrook is like a small town and is quite self contained. There are a good selection of shops there, with schools and local services too. But you may feel a little isolated out there and if your wife doesn't drive i'm pretty sure she would feel it - maybe future driving lessons might be a fix for a bit of independance. You will be travelling a fair distance for work almost certain, there is very little industry or commerce out that way other than hospitality maybe. On the other hand its a relatively new area. All of the houses are new and modern looking with fairly spacious plots. There is a strong community spirit there from what I gather and it suits some people. Personally we opted for the coastal lifestyle. We live in an older house in Kallaroo. Sure the area is mostly older properties but we have great access for the main roads in to the cities, public transport etc. We have the Whitfords Westfield shopping centre on our doorstep and we're just 1km from the beach. Walkable in 15 mins. We came for the sun, sea and sand lifestyle and with 3 kids it was the right decision for us.

Good luck whatever you decide!!

Nice enough areas but if your wife doesn't drive I wouldn't recommend it. No train line and public transport average at best.

Unfortunately if your wife doesnt drive then getting into the city would be difficult. We are staying in aveley and we love the open green spaces and large plots. There is a park on every corner and lakes and bbq's everywhere. It's very clean and new and is growing it seems every day. I would say that its very quiet. It's about half hour to the beach and we go there every weekend to the different beaches up the coast, but have great views of the Swan valley to sit and look at in the evening. We are currently renting and will be looking at all the areas and try and compare being closer to the beach.

Property prices are defiantly more expensive obviously the closer you get to the beach.

We are going to give it 12 months then make our decision.

I've not started work yet but would suggest that without a car it would be difficult to get around. Having said that whilst I don't need to go out of ellenbrook I go everywhere on my bike which seems is not the norm round here, but cycling round the grape vines and vineyards is quite breathtaking at times.

There has been new shops at ellenbrook this week open which has doubled if not more the shopping area and it's very nice.

All the schools and shops etc are all together so it's easy to get around. It is quite isolated though from one town to the next.

Public transport out of ellenbrook into the city is not easy so I wouldn't recommend trying it if you are heavily reliant on getting into the city or further afield.

I would possibly get here and try short term rentals until you make a decision where you want to settle.

Good luck.

Dawn x

Guest muminperth

If you don't yet have children, I would recommend renting in the inner suburbs of Perth maybe Leederville or Mt Lawley/ East Perth so that you can experience a bit of the social life here before diving into life into the Burbs :wink:

My hubby works in Ellenbrook a lot and whilst lovely there aren't any great transport links. I agree with the others that if your wife doesn't drive she'll feel very isolated. A point about WA itself is that because it's so vast, you will find that you really do need a car to do your shopping etc unless you live close by to the supermarkets

Hi.

We have lived in Ellenbrook and Aveley for 2.5 years. Along with living nearer the coast for 6 months.

We love Ellenbrook/Aveley area as its all new and clean, with parks everywhere. Some areas of Ellenbrook are better than others.

The public transport is minimal, but improving. There are plans for the train to come up but this will be in the distant future.

There is also the plans for the Perth-Darwin freeway to come past Ellenbrook, but again, how long, who knows!!!

I would say rent somewhere for 6 months before deciding.

It would be worth getting your driving licence if you lives in Ellenbrook.

We were at the Swan Valley yesterday so drove past Ellenbrook & Aveley (have to confess don't know where one ends and the other starts). Nice places though. And being near the Swan Valley is a real coup.

Get your Mrs to do her driving test over here, its a piece of cake.

Archived