gr8leo87

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no limit to how much cash you can take in or out of Australia. However, if you are carrying more than AU$10,000 you need to declare it on your arrival customs card.

Yes right, but from pak u cannot take more than 5 out now. Policy recently changed.

There is no limit to how much cash you can take in or out of Australia. However, if you are carrying more than AU$10,000 you need to declare it on your arrival customs card.

how do we declare it? I mean is there some documentation required or a form to be filled?

after declaring does the custom charge something?

how do we declare it? I mean is there some documentation required or a form to be filled?

after declaring does the custom charge something?

Yes. The air crew will hand you this form before landing in Australia:

https://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/border-security/travel/passenger-cards/_pdf/english-ipc-sample.pdf

You need to present this to passport control, and then to customs after you collect your baggage.

Yes. The air crew will hand you this form before landing in Australia:

https://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/border-security/travel/passenger-cards/_pdf/english-ipc-sample.pdf

You need to present this to passport control, and then to customs after you collect your baggage.

So 10$ AUD is cash limit per adult ? Or does it apply to child also or child limit is 5000AUD.

Thanks to clarify. More over, during my trip from Pakistan to UAE I saw a government notice of not allowing cash above 3000 ruppes outside the country in the airport.

I found it really absurd as it would make only 100dirhams per person which is allowed to be carried.

Anyways I had a lot more amount than that and I was not even questioned (probably was with family thats why). So how rules are implemented in Ausie airport. Does immigration strictly check and count the cash you are carrying?

So 10$ AUD is cash limit per adult ? Or does it apply to child also or child limit is 5000AUD.

Thanks to clarify. More over, during my trip from Pakistan to UAE I saw a government notice of not allowing cash above 3000 ruppes outside the country in the airport.

I found it really absurd as it would make only 100dirhams per person which is allowed to be carried.

Anyways I had a lot more amount than that and I was not even questioned (probably was with family thats why). So how rules are implemented in Ausie airport. Does immigration strictly check and count the cash you are carrying?

There's no limit as such.

All they say is if the total cash or cash equivalents with you are more than equivalent of AU$ 10,000, you need to declare it. They might ask you a question or two about why so much, but that's about it.

As far as outbound from Pakistan, you can take drafts for any value, but actual currency notes in PKR are limited to a small amount, and forex notes up to US$5,000 or equivalent.

All they say is if the total cash or cash equivalents with you are more than equivalent of AU$ 10,000, you need to declare it. They might ask you a question or two about why so much, but that's about it.

As far as outbound from Pakistan, you can take drafts for any value, but actual currency notes in PKR are limited to a small amount, and forex notes up to US$5,000 or equivalent.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. One more thing, that on university sites, fees is mentioned as International Students and Domestic Students. Being on PR, I believe we will be eligible for domestic students. Right?

Also scholar ship for PHD is also given by many universities, if you can guide or give a brief about that process, it will be of great help to us.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. One more thing, that on university sites, fees is mentioned as International Students and Domestic Students. Being on PR, I believe we will be eligible for domestic students. Right?

Also scholar ship for PHD is also given by many universities, if you can guide or give a brief about that process, it will be of great help to us.

Undergraduate courses: PR holders pay domestic ("CSP") fees, ranging from 6,000-11,000 per academic year. Citizens get the option to defer the payment till they finish studies, PRs have to pay it upfront every academic term.

Postgraduate taught courses (masters by coursework): Some places have CSP allocations, mostly around 10-11 thousand AUD per year, but universities are not bound to offer coursework postgrad courses as CSP fee places, and if you cant secure a CSP, you will be charged a full fee which can be up to AUD 40,000 per academic year.

Note that none of the reputed business schools here offer MBA courses under the CSP scheme. MBAs are full-fee, and generally not covered by scholarships of any sort. Australia's 2 top business schools, AGSM (UNSW) and MBS (Melbourne) both cost around AU$75,000 for the total MBA program.

Postgraduate research courses (PhD/Masters by Research): PRs pay no tuition fees under the RTS scheme of the government. On top, the university can pay you a scholarship as living allowance either from their own purse, or through government funding under the APA (Australian Postgraduate Award) scheme. These scholarships are insanely competitive though. Only 3500 APAs are offered Australia-wide each year. Other scholarships that come from the university's own purse are also there, but the cut-off criteria is largely the same as APAs.

Universities have their own criteria for awarding PhD scholarships...they are very competitive, and they want substantial academic attainment for you to stand a good chance.

Hi

As per my research and communication with several universities in the last two months, PRs are eligible for domestic fees. For the course I was enquiring, MSc in Health & Safety (coursework - online), non-CSP domestic fees was around AUD 12-13K (which was around half of International Student Fees for the same course).

As per my research and communication with several universities in the last two months, PRs are eligible for domestic fees. For the course I was enquiring, MSc in Health & Safety (coursework - online), non-CSP domestic fees was around AUD 12-13K (which was around half of International Student Fees for the same course).

Non-CSP domestic fees are usually quite close to full international fees in most large unis.

However, some courses have government assistance which lowers the fee for domestic students.

It's a slightly complex system.

I need clarification on one thing here: total cash equivalent means, total cash of the family unit or total cash one person is carrying?

I mean, if there is a family of 4, can they carry $40,000/= or just 10,000/= between the 4 of them? and is it US$ or Aus $?

Will really appreciate the answer.

thanks

I need clarification on one thing here: total cash equivalent means, total cash of the family unit or total cash one person is carrying?

I mean, if there is a family of 4, can they carry $40,000/= or just 10,000/= between the 4 of them? and is it US$ or Aus $?

thanks

One adult = 5000USD

thanks

Inbound into Australia: No limit to bring in. Just declare any amounts exceeding AU$10,000 or equivalent in cash per person.

Outbound from Pakistan: US$5,000 per adult, although there is no specific limit on drafts.

One adult = 5000USD

What can be carried out of Pakistan and what can be carried into Australia are two different issues.

For Australia, I reiterate here, need to declare does not mean it is not allowed. It simply means you need to check a box on the IPC card that you hand over to customs that you're carrying more than AU$10,000 in cash or equivalent.

As for Pakistan, you can carry a draft with you if you are carrying amounts larger than USD5,000. Drafts are considered non-cash monetary instruments and dont count in that limit.

Inbound into Australia: No limit to bring in. Just declare any amounts exceeding AU$10,000 or equivalent in cash per person.

Outbound from Pakistan: US$5,000 per adult, although there is no specific limit on drafts.

What can be carried out of Pakistan and what can be carried into Australia are two different issues.

For Australia, I reiterate here, need to declare does not mean it is not allowed. It simply means you need to check a box on the IPC card that you hand over to customs that you're carrying more than AU$10,000 in cash or equivalent.

As for Pakistan, you can carry a draft with you if you are carrying amounts larger than USD5,000. Drafts are considered non-cash monetary instruments and dont count in that limit.

Is this draft same as travellers cheque ? Probably if Iam not mistaken, we can go to any bank in Pakistan, pay cash and get a draft made in AUD$ in our name, now in this case do we have to mention that it should be made in favour of Australian Bank, I guess yes ? Then once we are in OZ, we can submit this draft in our account and money will be transferred in our account. I hope that sums up the process, let me know I am mistaken some where.

Is this draft same as travellers cheque ? Probably if Iam not mistaken, we can go to any bank in Pakistan, pay cash and get a draft made in AUD$ in our name, now in this case do we have to mention that it should be made in favour of Australian Bank, I guess yes ? Then once we are in OZ, we can submit this draft in our account and money will be transferred in our account. I hope that sums up the process, let me know I am mistaken some where.

Drafts differ from travellers cheques in that they are not directly cashable. They need to be deposited into an account first.

When you get a draft issued in Pakistan, it will be payable in Australian Dollars, through an intermediary Australian bank. When you deposit it, it will take 3-5 days to clear.

And because drafts are issued by financial institutions (typically banks, hence the common name "bank cheque" for a draft here), they are not treated as "cash equivalents" because of the assumption of income verification at source (drafts are issued fully paid)

What about gold jewelry? Is there a restriction on how much can be taken?

Jewellery etc counts under personal effects (unless it contains diamonds or is really expensive).

According to Customs Australia:

"Most personal items such as new clothing, footwear, and articles for personal hygiene and grooming (excluding fur and perfume concentrates) may be brought into Australia in your accompanied baggage, free from duty and tax."

Generally most personal use products such as watches etc that are already in use will be let through. However, if something looks obviously brand new and is very costly, customs may be interested.

Most cases it wont be required, but just FYI, the duty-free limit is AU$900 per adult and AU$450 per child. A family can pool their allowance together.

For the smokers out there, be warned, customs are very strict on that. The duty-free limit is 50 cigarettes (that's 50 sticks, not packs) according to what my friend told me.

As the discussion has turned to jewellery, can those with experience share:

1. if they have encountered too much questions or checks while carrying jewellery to Aus, by jewellry I mean the significant amount females acquire once married.

2. can it be kept in hand carry, declared and shown if required?

3. or is it advisable to carry minimun, wear them and then bring the rest over at later trips? And here the jewels are kept in the bank locker mostly, where do people keep theirs in OZ?

thanks!

As the discussion has turned to jewellery, can those with experience share:

1. if they have encountered too much questions or checks while carrying jewellery to Aus, by jewellry I mean the significant amount females acquire once married.

2. can it be kept in hand carry, declared and shown if required?

3. or is it advisable to carry minimun, wear them and then bring the rest over at later trips? And here the jewels are kept in the bank locker mostly, where do people keep theirs in OZ?

thanks!

If the items are more than a year old, they can be claimed as depreciating as well. Gold jewellery will be OK, but if they decide to charge duty, it is about 5% plus GST (total 15.5%).

To store it, you can contact a bank for a safe deposit box.

Dear Friends,

Please consider the relevance of your postings and topic's subject. If you think there is no other topics regarding your concern areas please feel free ro create a topic. This Topic is about "Application from HR countries". And I as an applicant from HR country really want to follow the issues, suggestion, duration of security check in this regards. But recent pages are about landing, ticket, money,accomodation .... .

This is the reason for creating this TOPIC as written in First page of this topic;

"Hi, I thought we should have thread for HR applicants time line because their time lines are radically different from non HR applicants because of their lengthy internal/external checks".

IT would we beasier for followersin present and future to follow based on the topic.

THanks GUYS for UNDERSTANDNG. Wish you all the best,

Dear Friends,

Please consider the relevance of your postings and topic's subject. If you think there is no other topics regarding your concern areas please feel free ro create a topic. This Topic is about "Application from HR countries". And I as an applicant from HR country really want to follow the issues, suggestion, duration of security check in this regards. But recent pages are about landing, ticket, money,accomodation .... .

This is the reason for creating this TOPIC as written in First page of this topic;

"Hi, I thought we should have thread for HR applicants time line because their time lines are radically different from non HR applicants because of their lengthy internal/external checks".

IT would we beasier for followersin present and future to follow based on the topic.

THanks GUYS for UNDERSTANDNG. Wish you all the best,

Dear Parissa,

You are right in your suggestion, however, let me justify at least my recent posting about something unrelated to the timeline. The first reason for posting different things is that over time people form a kind of bond/kinship with others of a thread that they frequent so they feel more comfortable sharing other issues with such people.

Secondly, since some people here have already landed and are kind enough to come back and share their experience and guide others about the likely issues faced on moving to OZ and settling, others who are waiting turn to them for help. And posting things on a thread where you know that experienced people are likely to drop in and see the post is better than starting a thread which they are likely to miss and others who might see them will most likely not be from HR countries and may not be able to give the kind of guidance the posters are looking for.

Thirdly, so many from HR countries have to wait a longer period of time than others and they come here everyday to see what has been happening with others, and it is natural that once in a while they share something that is not related to the timeline because there is nothing to share about their timeline! So they discuss other ‘moving to OZ’ related stuff….

Plus, in my personal view, I think a thread can contain off-topic things other than the one mentioned in the beginning as long as it does not contain anything that is against the forum rules, offensive to anyone, political or racial in anyway.

Moreover, a lot of things, ie. Waiting time, immigration rules and other requirements change every few months so the circumstances in which a thread that has been as old as this one has been since its inception, have changed, and it is natural that there is change in what was discussed earlier as the current issues are different than the earlier ones.

Most of the off-topics here are related to issues of moving to OZ, especially those things that HR country folks are more prone to face, eg. Visa label, tickets, landing, etc (as you have mentioned) so, in my personal view, they are justified as long as those answering it don't mind replying to the posts.

But these are just my personal views, and you are perfectly OK to have yours which is right from your point of view.

Thanks,

Archived