Starting up a business

Guest linda10

Guest linda10

:smile:Hi Guys,

We have been thinking of immigtating for 5yrs. The problem is we are both over 45yrs we have 2 sons still at home 18+20. We saw a programme on T.V. where a couple over 45 like us was told they could buy a business and it had to turn over $200.000 p.a.

If this is true we could sell up and move but would be more comfortable doing it with a partner and his family. That way there would be more money in the pot.

Is this possible?:notworthy::wideeyed:

Guest Guest9973

Hi Linda

Don't believe all the vague /out of date generalisations on TV.

If you are over 45 your chances will have dropped by far.

There is no easy way in.

We came on a business visa 11 years ago. I was under 45 as main applicant, had to have a business turning over $200,000 and had to employ up to 3 Aussies.

We did not need staff,told immigration who were very relaxed about it.

You need to talk to an agent,most give a free consult.:biggrin:

Guest linda10

Thanks Tyke, I noticed your from Adelaide, that's where we were thinking of relocating to or Melbourne. I grew up in Perth but family ties have kept us here now the last one [my mother] has passed and we really want to move to oz. What type of business do you run?

Linda

Guest Guest9973

Hi Linda

Glad you did not mind me being frank with you.

Another point.......

In our business we always call partnerships "the ships that never sail"

I'd not be comfortable with combining my migration efforts with another family.

I reckon that a lot of people in the early stages or just thinking about it consider the move easier than it really is.

One of the things we are in is in my signature below.

We are semi retired now, which was always the plan.

Our main business here was a gift basket company. We were kind of wholesale ,supplying large turnover car dealerships and real estate agents. Up to 600 gift baskets a month!

All run from home as well.

I see you grew up in Perth?? Any chance of citizenship ??

Adelaide is OK, I help on the sister form Poms In Adelaide.:cute:

Guest linda10

No chance of citizenship, My mother and I returned to uk when I was 14 and a phone call to australia house 5 yrs ago I found out it would have been possible if I had remained till 18yrs. Them's the breaks. My son is doing a H.N.D in art ending next year but not sure if he can get a job on the skilled list. We were thinking of going on a parent sponsership and paying the $35.000 each to go on the short list.

Guest Guest9973

Good luck Linda.

I'd be having a consult with an agent so you can have a solid plan :biggrin::biggrin:

Guest linda10
Good luck Linda.

I'd be having a consult with an agent so you can have a solid plan :biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Tyke,

Hope you don't mind me contacting you again. I've asked questions to australia web, but they just give me links to the business visas on line the don't answer my questions specifically.

I was interested that you work from home that saves on paying out for lease fees etc.

When we've been on holiday to Florida we get a welcome hamper and I would love to do that as our business.

Would'nt like to step on any toes so was wondering if there's a possibility of doing it in Melbourne. Do you know if there's a market for it there or has someone got it covered.

I know I must sound desperate but we have talked about migrating for 5yrs and I have wanted to return for 25yrs.

thanks for listening

Linda :smile::rolleyes:

Guest Guest9973

Everything is possible but it's probably a lot harder than it looks.

It took an awful lot of setting up for us ,even though we have been in business for over 20 years.

Eventually we got it going to a successful rate.

Working long days and often well into the evenings.

House crammed with pallets of stock. Hours on the phone trying to buy more!

2 major clients pulled out on us during the GFC - lots of firms panicked and tightened up.

We ended up closing down and just selling the stock off.

Just do a Google search for gift baskets / hampers and I reckon you will find it's pretty covered no.

Sorry to put a downer on this , it looks good but in reality can be a shocker.

Fortunately we have other business/ investment so it did not hurt.

Hi Linda

If you are looking at a business visa 163 then you can get state sponsorship first that then takes the age up to 55, so you'd be okay. However, with a business visa you need to have a successful business career here in the UK already that turned over a specified amount, with at least 2 years financial accounts within the last 4-5 years. You also need to have a certain amount of assets - think it is $500k but please check immigration website to find this out. Then the Aus business you buy/set up must turnover more than $200k in 2 full years and you must employ or keep 2 Australian staff members. Is this the type of visa you were looking at?

Guest linda10

Hi Dablar,

Thankyou for your advice, unfortunately the very small business I have over the last 5 yrs here in the U.K. is too small to count.

I tried the on line assessment and failed, because it does not make enough money.

I want to buy a business in oz that I have no experience in. The programme on tv was made last year and only stipulated you need to buy the business outright and turn over $200k per year. I have emailed immigration in the U K but they only reply with web links that don't give specific information.

Anyway i'm not giving up yet still researching.:smile:

Hi Linda

Sometimes the website checks don't always give you the the right answer but you can answer each of these questions to know whether you are eligible for a 163 based on your UK business:

i) Your UK business must have turned over AUS$300 for 2 out of the last fiscal 4 years (works on the exchange rate at the end of each fiscal year).

ii) You own at least AUD$500 of assets based on exchange rate on date of application

iii) You have been involved in more than 50% management of your business and have not been engaged in a business where the provision of professional, technical, or trade services took up more than half your time. (i.e. you weren't just self employed in a business and you weren't just the business)

These criteria are very strict and if you don't meet all of the these 3 criteria you can't apply for a 163 visa. Basically they want to see a successful UK business career with a significant amount of assets otherwise you can't just get a visa and buy a business there.

When you watch the tv programmes they don't tell you the eligibility requirements for the visa and if they just say the applicants are over 45 and only need to buy the business and turnover AUD$200 then this is not the full story.

This is the information for the 163 visa but that doesn't mean that you're not eligible for any other type of visa in a skilled profession or that you can't get an employer sponsored visa. There are many other types of visa and I think it would be best that you contact a MARA emigration agent, which means approved by Australian government, to see what type of visa you could apply for. The first meeting is free and you can give them all your information to see which type of visa you are eligible for. It really is worth meeting one as you can spend hours looking on websites but necessarily get all the right information.

We have applied for the 163 visa and applied for state sponsorship in Feb 2010, got this in March 2010 and made our main application to the DIAC in March 2010 also. We got a case office in Feb 2011 and have now had all our paperwork approved. Just got the police checks and medicals to do now so last stage. We did all this through an agent and we wouldn't recommend anything else for a business visa as it's more complex than a standard application and a good agent knows what the DIAC are looking for so they do all this. It's not cheap but for us it was well worth it!

We really hope that this has helped you and if you want to send us a personal message if you want any further help then please feel free. We know exactly how you may feel and if we can help we will try...

Guest linda10

Hi Dablar,

Thanks for your information, was very helpful.

I had a reply back from australia house and they told me if we get a 457 visa there is no age limit, but it's a temporary visa for 4yrs then you can re-apply. I checked out the web and you can apply for citizenship whilst out there. The problem is a catch 22, you need to be a skilled business person to go and have an employer to sponser you or be high up on the corporate ladder for the state to approve you.

We want to buy a business over there or work from home like another expat has done.

I am really pleased you've made it and wish you a very happy life out there.

If your unhappy with where you move to don't give up and come back to the uk. Australia's a big place relocate even N.Z. i hear is lovely and not as hot

Take care

Linda

By the way, it's just a point that might help, it's not the profit that the business made but the turnover, so even if you made a loss that doesn't matter, as long as the turnover was over AUD$300. Anything you want to ask just personal message us...

Have you changed your name Dablar??

Guest Guest9973
By the way, it's just a point that might help, it's not the profit that the business made but the turnover, so even if you made a loss that doesn't matter, as long as the turnover was over AUD$300. Anything you want to ask just personal message us...

Sorry to but in but can I say that this is a very risky tactic indeed.

I'd certainly be attempting to run a viable business as criteria may change and you could suddenly find yourself not making the grade and being booted out.

When we were going through this process we were surveyed regularly for some reason,they were very interested to see if we were making money.

In the end we were not exactly meeting the criteria but the comments were........ "You are self sufficient", /

This came from other investments we had. So I can only assume they were keen to see us make a profit.

As I said before, seek solid professional advice.

Not everything you read on the internet is correct!!!!

Archived