My England, my Jerusalem?

spangley

I need to ask for people's experiences...

My wife and I are expecting our first child any day. In fact it's a day late!

At the same time I'm having a crisis of confidence in the country our child will be raised.

My wife is German, we met whilst we both worked for an Australian company (in Europe) We've got heaps of Aussie friends, we love the people and the stories they tell of home. Over the past 3 years we've witnessed most of our Aussie and Kiwi friends return..

My wife despairs with England. She says she only lives here for me.

I remain here, amongst other things because of:

• The sense of humour
  • The countryside
  • The pubs
  • The architecture
  • The heritage and history
  • My friends
  • My family

What really truly makes my heart ache about the the country of my birth is:

• The cost of living
  • My impending redundancy
  • The broken soul of it's people
  • Welfare dependancy
  • Celebrity culture
  • Poor customer service
  • Overcrowding
  • The state of the NHS
  • The state of schools
  • The erosion of identity
  • Political Correctness
  • Health and Safety culture
  • Growing militant Islam
  • Mohamed being the post popular boys name.
  • Ignorant and selfish youth
  • Ignorant and selfish bankers
  • Corrupt politicians
  • European Union

I feel like Britain is a powder keg.

My view of Australia is:

• Friendly people
  • Get up and go attitude
  • Self confidence
  • Proud identity
  • Strong economy
  • Increasing Global and Cultural influence.
  • Unashamed Anglo Saxon culture....
  • ....but also good Community relations
  • Good customer service
  • Room to breath
  • Fabulous coast
  • Great weather
  • Opportunity
  • Good Education
  • A stepping stone to explore Asia
  • Independent of the EU...or anyone else.

What should we do??????

Don't tell me literally, but I'd love to hear the reasons why so many people are emigrating, or already have done. Is it just me with my anxieties about Britain?

Thanking everyone.

Mac

At the same time I'm having a crisis of confidence in the country our child will be raised.

My wife is German, we met whilst we both worked for an Australian company (in Europe) We've got heaps of Aussie friends, we love the people and the stories they tell of home. Over the past 3 years we've witnessed most of our Aussie and Kiwi friends return..

• The sense of humour

• The countryside

• The pubs

• The architecture

• My friends

• My family

• The cost of living

• Welfare dependancy

• Celebrity culture

• Poor customer service

• Overcrowding

• The state of the NHS

• The state of schools

• Political Correctness

• Growing militant Islam

• Corrupt politicians

• European Union

My view of Australia is:

• Friendly people

• Get up and go attitude

• Self confidence

• Proud identity

• Strong economy

• Good customer service

• Room to breath

• Fabulous coast

• Great weather

• Opportunity

• Good Education

What should we do??????

Don't tell me literally, but I'd love to hear the reasons why so many people are emigrating, or already have done. Is it just me with my anxieties about Britain?

Thanking everyone.

Mac

If your wife is behind you, go where your heart is! I feel your child would have a better future in Australia.

Guest guest30038

What Kernow said.

No doubt some would question your opinions on the UK and Oz both, but if they are your opinions, how you perceive, then that is also "your state of mind". Stick to that as an opinion, until such time as someone can convince you that it is, or is not, fact................and no doubt, some will try to convince you that it is not :rolleyes:

Good luck mate. Most of what you state about Oz, is how we perceived, even 15yrs ago. No one has convinced us otherwise since.

kev

Guest chris955

Australia can certainly be a great place to live, not for everyone by any means of course like anywhere. Many of your points in the 'What really truly makes my heart ache' list also applies to this country as well of course.

No-one can say where you can have a better future obviously but it is clear you can have at least as good a life here as you can in the UK.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Australia can certainly be a great place to live, not for everyone by any means of course like anywhere. Many of your points in the 'What really truly makes my heart ache' list also applies to this country as well of course.

No-one can say where you can have a better future obviously but it is clear you can have at least as good a life here as you can in the UK.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

That is your opinion not the OP

Guest chris955

Yes, absolutely. As this ' I feel your child would have a better future in Australia.' is yours. I see no problem with either.

Guest guest30038

Like I say Mac, no doubt others will try to convince you that their opinions/experiences. will also apply to you........ie that they are "facts" applicable to Oz as a whole.

Make your decision on how you feel mate. Your experience of how Aussies feel, and how they've returned to their country should be an indicator. You're not happy with where you're at, so what have you got to lose? Rememeber though that with your new arrival imminent, will you be taking the bub away from family and how do you feel about that?

Congratulations on the coming birth .

ke

Hi Mac

We moved here with our 2 young children just over 4 years ago and so far we havent regreted much. Many of our reasons to move match yours and we do find it much better here in Oz, not to mention a more sheltered upbringing for our children.

As Kernow says if you and your wife are both up for it and fully committed then id give it a go,, saves spending a lifetime thinking what if,,

Good Luck whatever you decide

Cal x

Have you already applied for a visa (I see you've been a member since 2009) or is it something you have started to think about seriously now you are becoming parents? Is Australia somewhere you are both keen on? Have you and your wife actually visited Australia and got a real feel for how things are here, or are your views based on what your Aussie and Kiwi colleagues have said?

A move to Australia may well be the best thing you ever do. We made the move in 2005 and my husband and sons are all happy (me probably a bit less so). But I think it is very important you go for the right reasons and research whether the things you dislike about the UK will really be resolved by a move down under. The main reasons for us moving overseas were my husband's health, to escape from commuting up to four hours a day and a desire for a fresh start somewhere (though some of the reasons in your list would also have appeared in my husband's list had he drawn one up). Moving did solve those problems (though the commuting could probably have been solved by changing jobs or moving house!) but for me created new ones including homesickness and, because i had to work away from home for long periods of time, missing my sons as well.

To what extent do you experience the negatives in your list in your daily life? Is something such as militant Islam something you encounter on the streets where you live (and I know it can be a problem in some areas) or is it something you read about in the Press? Could your concerns about schooling, overcrowding etc be addressed by moving elsewhere within the UK? My personal experience is that things such as healthcare and schooling are no better or worse in Australia than in the UK. Just as in the UK, the standard of schooling can depend on where you live, catchment areas, parental involvement, the child themselves etc. What are your hobbies and interests - will you still be able to pursue them in Australia? If you love the outdoor/beach/sporting lifestyle, than you will probably love it here. If your interests are history and architecture you might mind find it a bit limited (certainly in WA!) though of course you can still pursue such interests here. Are you or your wife close to family? How would you feel about bringing up a child away from any grandparents etc? Would the benefits of Oz outweigh the absence of extended family in your child's life?

Good luck in reaching your decision (and with the new baby)!

Guest AndyandYvonneD

Hi

We moved to Australia 2 years ago now. I returned to the UK for the first time last week (had a quick trip back to suprise my mum) and to be honest with you, after I had seen the people I went to see I couldn't wait to get back home to Oz. It was the best thing we ever did move over here!!

I think your perceptions of Australia are based on some idyllic but not substantiated notions, whereas your comments on UK are on facts (quite understandably as you live in the UK). Just going to comment on your perceptions of Australia. I lhave no agenda, I love both countries in different ways. But I probably do get frustrated by people that assume everything is better in Australia.

• Friendly people - Agreed. I have experienced nothing but friendliness.
  • Get up and go attitude - No more than I ever experienced in 40 yrs in UK
  • Self confidence - No more than I ever experienced in 40 years in UK
  • Proud identity - Yes Australians are more patriiotic than Brits, in theory this could be a problem not a strength though, as you are not Australian
  • Strong economy - long term, I do not believe the Australian economy is going to have the strength of the the UK economy
  • Increasing Global and Cultural influence. - UK influence is greater
  • Unashamed Anglo Saxon culture.... - maybe
  • ....but also good Community relations - its really much the same
  • Good customer service - I have found it good so far, but others do complain
  • Room to breath - no we are all crowded into a small space, most of Australia is empty, traffic is as bad as ever, in fact it is much worse than in Hertfordshire
  • Fabulous coast - it is gorgeous
  • Great weather - hmmm, not really. Nothing but weather realted disasters for the last four months in many states. My state is relatively unscathed, but I have never seen so much rain in my life.
  • Opportunity - if you are referring to career opportunity than there is more opportunity in uk
  • Good Education - I don't have children, but consensus seems to be that it is behind UK
  • A stepping stone to explore Asia - it is minimum 8 hours to most places. Europe is on the doorstep of UK,
  • Independent of the EU...or anyone else. - true.

Guest chris955

I will no doubt get abused for this but I agreed with every one of your replies. I know people want to obviously assume everything is better where they are going but the reality is very different. That does NOT mean that this country isn't a great place to live.

Guest guest30038
I will no doubt get abused for this but I agreed with every one of your replies. I know people want to obviously assume everything is better where they are going but the reality is very different. That does NOT mean that this country isn't a great place to live.

No you didn't, and Correction,....................your reality is different :rolleyes:

And no, I'm not abusing you............I'm just disagreeing........you will see it differently because it suits your agenda to do so..................don't forget the thanks button.:rolleyes:

Guest siamsusie

[quote name=

• Friendly people - I think so, I have never experienced a problem
  • Get up and go attitude - no more than other countries I have lived in
  • Self confidence - hard to say
  • Proud identity - Yes for sure and I see that as a positive, but many countries like France, Asian countries are also proud of their identity.
  • Strong economy - Yes and hopefully for many years to come
  • Increasing Global and Cultural influence. - unsure
  • Unashamed Anglo Saxon culture.... yes
  • ....but also good Community relations - yes on many occasions
  • Good customer service - I have had no problems on the whole but they do exist like any other country
  • Room to breath - For sure, and thats what I love, the space, 2.5 acres of glorious environment.
  • Fabulous coast - Second to none
  • Great weather - For Tasmania the perfect climate for me, we have had a pretty good summer apart from a couple of days of floods over west, but I have enjoyed our weather
  • Opportunity - For my profession excellent
  • Good Education - My step children have been educated here, l is a Dr the other a chemical enginner so it cant be all bad lol
  • A stepping stone to explore Asia - From Perth and Darwin a few hours only , and I am in Asia for work frequently, I find it a doddle.
  • Independent of the EU...or anyone else. - Yes that is refreshing for me. I am married to an Australian, I have had no problems adapting at all and I class Australia as my home now

Best wishes Susie x

• The sense of humour

• The countryside

• The pubs

• The architecture

• My friends

• My family

• The cost of living

• Welfare dependancy

• Celebrity culture

• Poor customer service

• Overcrowding

• The state of the NHS

• The state of schools

• Political Correctness

• Growing militant Islam

• Corrupt politicians

• European Union

My view of Australia is:

• Friendly people

• Get up and go attitude

• Self confidence

• Proud identity

• Strong economy

• Good customer service

• Room to breath

• Fabulous coast

• Great weather

• Opportunity

• Good Education

What should we do??????

Thanking everyone.

Mac

Hi Mac

We are not leaving England because of any anxieties about the country or because we don't like it, we just want a change.

I decided when i was 17 that i wanted to live in Australia but always thought that it was just a pipe dream and would never happen. That feeling of wanting to try something different never went away so before it was too late for us, points wise/age wise etc. we decided to go for it and apply for our visas. I'm under no illusion that it will be easy for us or any better or worse for us and our children but if we don't give it a go i know that i will always wonder what if.

I've got family over there that are returning to the uk and Bulgaria after living in Oz for over 40 years because of some of the reasons that you are listing as reasons your not happy with the uk, so we're just going with an open mind and will hopefully make it work, but are not expecting it to be a breeze. If for any reason it does not work i've got no problem with coming back to the UK, i've not experienced the issues you list (in your uk list), my children go to fantastic schools, i've recently had great service from nhs and my local hospital, the young children/adults around where i live are well mannered, well spoken, nice kids. The only thing i can really relate to is the cost of living, we have had to cut back, Tescos now instead of always shopping at Waitrose and not being so wasteful (which is not a bad thing anyway). But then you read threads on here about people not happy with the cost of living in Australia either, so maybe it's not that different, we'll find out when we eventually get there, and i cannot wait for the new adventure to begin! :biggrin:

Guest Oz Boots

• The sense of humour

• The countryside

• The pubs

• The architecture

• My friends

• My family

• The cost of living

• The broken soul of it's people - Really?

• Welfare dependancy

• Celebrity culture

• Poor customer service

• Overcrowding

• The state of the NHS

• The state of schools - From what I hear, the state of schools in Oz is no better

• Political Correctness - There is nothing wrong with wanting people to be treated with respect. It's when it goes to far, that is the issue...

• Growing militant Islam

• Ignorant and selfish youth - Same the word over

• Ignorant and selfish bankers - Same the world over

• Corrupt politicians

• European Union

My view of Australia is:

• Friendly people

• Get up and go attitude

• Self confidence - Eh?

• Proud identity

• Strong economy

• Unashamed Anglo Saxon culture.... What? Sounding a little suspisious there..

• Good customer service

• Room to breath

• Fabulous coast

• Great weather

• Opportunity

• Good Education

What should we do??????

Thanking everyone.

Mac

To me some of things on those lists are a) dubious at best and b) you will find everywhere you go....

Ian

Guest Bobby

Your child could have a better life in the UK.

Your child could have a better life in Australia.

2 questions and in all honesty impossible to answer,To many variables to see into the future and what your child will grow into, but I do know one thing…it is how you bring your child up and the love you give the child, your child could have a great life in the UK or in Oz who can tell.

People will all have different views but only you can make the decision.

For what it's worth....I think the UK is the better place out of the two Countries to bring a child up taking everything into consideration, but that is only my opinion, everyone has one.

Guest Bobby
I think your perceptions of Australia are based on some idyllic but not substantiated notions, whereas your comments on UK are on facts (quite understandably as you live in the UK). Just going to comment on your perceptions of Australia. I lhave no agenda, I love both countries in different ways. But I probably do get frustrated by people that assume everything is better in Australia.

• Friendly people - Agreed. I have experienced nothing but friendliness.

• Get up and go attitude - No more than I ever experienced in 40 yrs in UK

• Self confidence - No more than I ever experienced in 40 years in UK

• Proud identity - Yes Australians are more patriiotic than Brits, in theory this could be a problem not a strength though, as you are not Australian

• Strong economy - long term, I do not believe the Australian economy is going to have the strength of the the UK economy

• Increasing Global and Cultural influence. - UK influence is greater

• Unashamed Anglo Saxon culture.... - maybe

• ....but also good Community relations - its really much the same

• Good customer service - I have found it good so far, but others do complain

• Room to breath - no we are all crowded into a small space, most of Australia is empty, traffic is as bad as ever, in fact it is much worse than in Hertfordshire

• Fabulous coast - it is gorgeous

• Great weather - hmmm, not really. Nothing but weather realted disasters for the last four months in many states. My state is relatively unscathed, but I have never seen so much rain in my life.

• Opportunity - if you are referring to career opportunity than there is more opportunity in uk

• Good Education - I don't have children, but consensus seems to be that it is behind UK

• A stepping stone to explore Asia - it is minimum 8 hours to most places. Europe is on the doorstep of UK,

• Independent of the EU...or anyone else. - true.

Truthfull replies plus according to the most reliable source Oliver is the most popular name for boys.

Oliver climbed one to become the most popular name for newborn boys. Jack fell to number two after 14 years at the top spot.

Harry rose one place to number three and William rose two places to number eight, while Thomas moved down to number six and Daniel to number ten.

National Statistics Online - Baby Names 2009

I've been living and working in Sydney for a couple of weeks now, and it's pretty much the same as London. Same friendliness/unfriendliness, same hoard of commuters with standing room only on buses staring at their iPhones, same 9-5 jobs.

It's made me aware of how much we were absorbed by ads, posters, Phil Spencer down under, and all the rest, when we were in the UK. For some reason, we seem more inclined to believe them than other ads.

There are differences, of course. But for us, most of these will be because of changes in job/life/situation that we made ourselves as part of the move, with Australia being the catalyst rather than the enabler of these.

Truthfull replies plus according to the most reliable source Oliver is the most popular name for boys.

Oliver climbed one to become the most popular name for newborn boys. Jack fell to number two after 14 years at the top spot.

Harry rose one place to number three and William rose two places to number eight, while Thomas moved down to number six and Daniel to number ten.

National Statistics Online - Baby Names 2009

What? Well you are way too cryptic for me, I am just a nice straightforward person and I am not sure if you are trying to make a point or I have upset you in some way. If so very sorry.

Guest stephenm69

hi im in the same situation keep wondering if i am doing the right thing if you dont go you will regret it

Guest chris955

People are very simple creatures, they wont to believe that there is more to life and often there just isn't. Obviously that isn't true for everyone and a move to the other side of the world can be what it takes to motivate them or provide the catalyst as you say. Life here is work, bills, commuting, leisure, sleep blah blah blah.

I've been living and working in Sydney for a couple of weeks now, and it's pretty much the same as London. Same friendliness/unfriendliness, same hoard of commuters with standing room only on buses staring at their iPhones, same 9-5 jobs.

It's made me aware of how much we were absorbed by ads, posters, Phil Spencer down under, and all the rest, when we were in the UK. For some reason, we seem more inclined to believe them than other ads.

There are differences, of course. But for us, most of these will be because of changes in job/life/situation that we made ourselves as part of the move, with Australia being the catalyst rather than the enabler of these.

Guest Bobby
What? Well you are way too cryptic for me, I am just a nice straightforward person and I am not sure if you are trying to make a point or I have upset you in some way. If so very sorry.

Not upset me at all, just saying trhat it was the Daily Mail saying that mohhamed was the most popular name in the UK when it is not.

:cute:

Guest Guest 47403
Your child could have a better life in the UK.

Your child could have a better life in Australia.

2 questions and in all honesty impossible to answer,To many variables to see into the future and what your child will grow into, but I do know one thing…it is how you bring your child up and the love you give the child, your child could have a great life in the UK or in Oz who can tell.

People will all have different views but only you can make the decision.

For what it's worth....I think the UK is the better place out of the two Countries to bring a child up taking everything into consideration, but that is only my opinion, everyone has one.

I appreciate this is just your opinion and I respect that, but could you give us the reasoning behind it can I ask how your your kids faired while you were in Australia and if there getting along better now your back in the UK, if they are what problems with the schooling did you encounter whilst in Oz?

I agree to a certain extent with it's how you bring your own kids up that shapes the way they turn out, but there are to many other issues kids have in the UK and Oz to say good parents=good kids.

Guest Bobby
I appreciate this is just your opinion and I respect that, but could you give us the reasoning behind it can I ask how your your kids faired while you were in Australia and if there getting along better now your back in the UK, if they are what problems with the schooling did you encounter whilst in Oz?

I agree to a certain extent with it's how you bring your own kids up that shapes the way they turn out, but there are to many other issues kids have in the UK and Oz to say good parents=good kids.

I went to Oz and lived there over 10 years, back in the UK and it is only my opinion , 2 great Countries for children that most people in the world can only envy.

p.s why do you think Oz would be a better place to bring kids up.?

Archived