help, close to giving up

hogan

Hi Guys

what do you reckon we should do, we got our visa last feb amd activated it in may, we love the central coast in sydney and dream about it all the time, we have now took our house off the market because we just cant sell it, nothing is selling around my village at the moment, we tried renting but nothing was happeneing there either, the excahnge rate is really bad so we will lose lots of cash,

we took it off the market because we have been having our life on hold for soo long, not wanting to buy this and that in case we sell tomorrow etc

the other worry and concern i have is that if we try again in a couple of years my boys will be getting too old for the move at 14,12 and 8 (or wont they), so i dont know what to do, we bought a new car and strated to buy things for the house but we still live in hope of the move and talk about it all the time, i wish i could put it all to rest !!!!!!!

Guest cricketbackinengland

I think you're crucifying yourselves with your burning desire to move to Oz and this is clouding the reality you currently find yourself in. The sensible approach might be to just sit tight and put all your plans on hold for the moment. This current stalemate with the economy and houses not selling will pass. It's predicted that things should start to improve by the end of 2011 picking up in 2012 and from what I can see here in the UK, I would agree with this outlook.

You still have plenty of time as far as the children are concerned and the opportunity to move isn't going to vanish. It's just the timing isn't right at the moment.

Houses aren't selling because buyers are nervous about falling prices, interest rates going up plus banks won't lend as much as they once did so you'll either have to reduce your house to a bargain price and risk being offered an even sillier amount, or just sit and wait for the tide to turn. Not very easy I know. Hope this helps a bit though.

I'd agree with cricket. Your children will still be young enough to move, although they might have opinions about it that are different from yours by then!

I do understand about feeling like your life's on hold, but if possible try not to let that happen. Life's too short and unpredictable not to make the most of it wherever you are!

Good luck

Guest Rachel Emma

Hi there

Im so sorry your having problems selling your home.......

We gained PR visa's May last yr, and our house went on the market in that August, sold it in late November, that fell thru, and we then sold it again two days before xmas day last yr....yes we have lost money, gutted to say the least about that.........But we have so wanted this adventure for such a long time we just had to go for it.

Our children are 10 and 8 years old, and we are leaving on the 12th April for Sydney on the Central coast actually...... very scared and excited!!!

We know we will struggle for the next few years, and will have to tighten our belts more than we really want to, but life doesnt always go to plan and you have to weigh up the pro's n cons, and discuss between you what is really important for all of your family.

If we hadnt of sold before April this yr we would of validated our visa's anyways, left the house on the market and maybe just rode out the time wasters we all get thru our doors.

Seriously you only need one buyer, although I can say we had dozens of viewings, many were not in the position to buy because they had not sold theirs or did not have the amount we were asking its frustrating and very hard to keep smiling everytime someone walks through your door for a viewing. My husband refused to be at any viewings in the end and left it to me, you kind of get it down to a fine art and sell your own home alongside the estate agent....lol....having said that it was the best thing I did, I Chatted to potential buyers as if we were best friends :wink: which helped me no end.

If this is your dream, what I would do is this.....Have the house on the market, dont budge with the price which is a realistic price that you want to part with, and maybe keep the dream alive by having trips back to the central coast every other yr, this may keep the kiddies happy and keep their adventure as real as yours:D

And keep all those fingers and toes crossed that the right person comes along at the right time for the wheels to be set in motion for you.

All the best for the future!!!!

Rachel

Guest cricketbackinengland

In today's news, it's suggested that house prices will drop another 20% before 2013. This makes sense because banks are not lending what sellers are asking. If interest rates go up as predicted, it may have several impacts on the current market. One may be sellers trying to unburden themselves by reducing their prices to get a quick sale, buyers flocking to buy to get a good deal on rates while they're still low, a lot more houses coming onto the market giving buyers even more choice but effectively flooding the market with more houses for sale.

Whatever happens, it seems as though the only way to get the property market moving again is for asking prices to come down so that they meet what the banks will lend.

Your choices are either to preempt all these possibilities by reducing your asking price now to meet a buyers borrowing or to stay put. If you can afford to reduce your house and you want to go to Oz that badly, well then it's only money and you can always get money back whereas you can't get time back. Have you sat down with a pen and paper and worked out what you can afford to lose on your house? Sometimes you have to cut your losses to make a gain but only you can decide.

I wouldn't wait for house prices here to go up. There's no clear way of knowing where house prices will go so perhaps your best option is to realistically think about how low you can go to sell your house without crippling your options in Oz.

Life isnt a dream, it is about taking the opportunities that arise I reckon. If the opportunity doesnt arise for you to move to the Sunshine Coast for whatever reason then dont waste your time thinking about it but get on with whatever life opportunities you do have.

I think you would be cutting it fine to take a child at 14 because if it all went pear shaped it would be very hard for them to get back to UK for GCSEs and to get on the GCSE/A level merry go round. You really need to do it so that you have a couple of years before that becomes an impossibility so you can weigh up whether it is right in the long term for you all.

Guest kerrygirl

I feel your pain as i too am in this dilema as my husband and I have our visas, we are sooo dreaming or Australia have been to Perth and Queensland and loved them both! See we are working at the moment and cant justify giving up work when soo many are looking for it and the task of looking for work again over there is scarey!!!! We are both in late 40s no spring chickens!!!

I would recommend trying out renting again if you really feel you want to go to Australia. Our house was empty for two months after we left for Australia and we ended up taking less than the agent had originally advised us to try for, we barely cover the mortgage with rent, but at least there is someone in there and it is being looked after. We will rent it out for a few years I think.

Archived