Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

I lived in Mackay for a short while at a place called Royal Sands and I loved it, like an Idiot I couldnt behave myself and my wife ooffed me out:sad: I came back to England and now feel really stuck, I have a permanent residency visa with 3 years left to run and desperately want to go back Iam a Gas fitter/Plumber but dont have a first clue where to start - the moral - love your wife and be good

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi we are going to Mackay in May. When we arrive in Brisbane we have hired a camper van for a week so we can buy a car have been told it is cheaper in Brisbane then in Mackay. We will then drive up. We spent most of 6 months in Mackay came back just over a year ago.Now just trying to find somewhere to stay when we get there.

Hiya, nice to hear from you. You must have liked Mackay if you are moving back (have i got that right?>). What sort of jobs did you do/areas u lived in, in Mackay?

:biggrin:

Guest Joshkat

Hi Shaun really liked the surrounding areas of Mackay,Seaforth,Cape Hillsborough,Blacks Beach and others.He did'nt want to come home,our visas had'nt come through though.The children went to school for a while to see how they would like it.They are both excited about going back,they are 8 and 10. Shaun's in construction and also an electrician. Busy packing the house up ,don't know where it all comes from. Sharon

Guest Joshkat

Sorry forgot to put we stayed near Seaforth about 45 minutes from Mackay,we will be looking to stay nearer to Mackay this time to be nearer to schools.

Hi Shaun really liked the surrounding areas of Mackay,Seaforth,Cape Hillsborough,Blacks Beach and others.He did'nt want to come home,our visas had'nt come through though.The children went to school for a while to see how they would like it.They are both excited about going back,they are 8 and 10. Shaun's in construction and also an electrician. Busy packing the house up ,don't know where it all comes from. Sharon

Great to hear you lot go on well there- i have heard a few mixed review, but def still like the sound of the area. My OH is in construction/mines here, working as a diesel fitter.

So have I got this right.. are you hiring a camper van in brisbane and driving it to mackay to look around and choose a rental? just trying to decide the best option for us.

Our kids are 1.5 and 3.5 at the min - so will be 2 and 4 when we probably/if we get there. do they start school at 5? do u know?

School year runs January to December. age wise it runs from 1st of July to 30th June.So if they are going to turn five before the end of June they would start prep in January of that year(Prep is equal to our reception class in the UK)Not sure if that sounds clear for example my daughter was 5 on 31st May 2010 so she started Prep In January 2010.If she turned 5 on or after 1st July 2010 she would not have started prep until January 2011.Hope that helps!

Guest Joshkat

We will only have the camper van for the 8 days in Brisbane to give us time to buy a car,which we will drive up to Mackay. Looking at a hoilday rental or unit now so we have somewhere to base ourselves when we get to Mackay. Then we will look for somewhere more permenant when we get there. Trouble is hoilday rentals seem to be out of our price range.

School year runs January to December. age wise it runs from 1st of July to 30th June.So if they are going to turn five before the end of June they would start prep in January of that year(Prep is equal to our reception class in the UK)Not sure if that sounds clear for example my daughter was 5 on 31st May 2010 so she started Prep In January 2010.If she turned 5 on or after 1st July 2010 she would not have started prep until January 2011.Hope that helps!

Hiya,

Thanks for that.:cute: But... my daughter actually turns 4 on 30th June (funnily enough :biggrin:) So she will be 4.5 in January 2012 (and will turn 5 on June 30th 2012) - so am I right in thinking she will go to prep school (reception) in Jan 2012?

We will only have the camper van for the 8 days in Brisbane to give us time to buy a car,which we will drive up to Mackay. Looking at a hoilday rental or unit now so we have somewhere to base ourselves when we get to Mackay. Then we will look for somewhere more permenant when we get there. Trouble is hoilday rentals seem to be out of our price range.

Hiya, yeah thats what I thought and even Motels look expensive - aparently due to the demand on them for the miners from else where. I suppose a b&b/holiday rental place may give you a cheaper rate for a longer stay if you emailed them and explained.

Ideally what you need is somewhere to base yourselves thats quite contained - and have access to washing machine/fridge etc. ( And someone on site to recommend areas to look at to view houses/schools etc (lol) that would be fab wouldnt it!):yes:

Hiya,

Thanks for that.:cute: But... my daughter actually turns 4 on 30th June (funnily enough :biggrin:) So she will be 4.5 in January 2012 (and will turn 5 on June 30th 2012) - so am I right in thinking she will go to prep school (reception) in Jan 2012?

Yes that would be right.

OH my goodness. This probably sounds stupid but how does this affect daily life? My husband will be driving back and forward to different mines and I keep hearing stories of peoples cars being swept away or getting stuck in floods on the Bruce Highway. Will it stop me from going out of the house?

Will there be crocs swimming passed my windows?? hee hee

OH my goodness. This probably sounds stupid but how does this affect daily life? My husband will be driving back and forward to different mines and I keep hearing stories of peoples cars being swept away or getting stuck in floods on the Bruce Highway. Will it stop me from going out of the house?

Only around Cairns...So far!:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

All the other Miners manage it,sometimes they do get stuck out there for a few more days ,You really need OH to get a 4 wheel drive.Look on you tube at the floods Mackay had in 2008(i think it was then) People were on there surf boards in the street.

All the other Miners manage it,sometimes they do get stuck out there for a few more days ,You really need OH to get a 4 wheel drive.Look on you tube at the floods Mackay had in 2008(i think it was then) People were on there surf boards in the street.

That was 15th Feb 2008, the city got 26 inches in 6 hours!!

Cheers, Bobj.

We had a look at it last night, pretty scary stuff. How do you manage Bobj? Is it easy to live out of the way off the flood (lines?). Or does it not happen that often?

It was a 'one-off' event. Mt. Pleasant/Glenella area was above the flood area.

Where I live, some 48 km NW of the city, we only received 17 inches in 2 days. There was a bit of local flooding and 1 street was almost knee deep; but that was due to poor council planning...They put in a drain with no outlet!!

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived