Job offer, but will wages be enough to live in perth area?

cobbler

I have been in touch with an employer in perth (wembly) who has offered me a job with a 457 sponsorship. wages of $1200 per week. I don't know if this wage is enough to support myself, wife & 3 kids 10,8 & 4. I am willing to travel about 45 mins into work ( I do not drive) we would rent for 12 months ish then hope to buy at todays rate we would have about $300k to spend on a house, I see on realestate.com.au there are no houses in wembley with 3+ bedrooms within that price range. What areas are good for schools shops etcs within this radius? also what is the cost of living? & what would we be entitled to health care? (doctors, dentists etc & the normal services?) if none, what are the general costs for these services ? I'm thinking about kids catching bugs etc?.

Thanks

Guest Taylor72
I have been in touch with an employer in perth (wembly) who has offered me a job with a 457 sponsorship. wages of $1200 per week. I don't know if this wage is enough to support myself, wife & 3 kids 10,8 & 4. I am willing to travel about 45 mins into work ( I do not drive) we would rent for 12 months ish then hope to buy at todays rate we would have about $300k to spend on a house, I see on realestate.com.au there are no houses in wembley with 3+ bedrooms within that price range. What areas are good for schools shops etcs within this radius? also what is the cost of living? & what would we be entitled to health care? (doctors, dentists etc & the normal services?) if none, what are the general costs for these services ? I'm thinking about kids catching bugs etc?.

Thanks

Hi

I think things maybe tight, as im not sure if you will have to pay school fees. And rental prices are quite high, having said that the rising costs in uk are making things very difficult for the average family. Will you have $300 in cash towards a house or will that be a morgage ? property depending on where you look can be high. I know how you feel its scarey when you start thinking money. But i suppose its better to have tried something instead of looking back with regrets, and your children are at such a good age .

Best of luck:hug:

Guest Jessie Burke

Hi there, it really depends on where you live and the lifestyle you want. Food, housing and cars are generallymore expensive than UK. However, simply going to the beach, bike rides chilling at home are all free, so leisure activities are often cheaper of free compared to UK which with kids is bowling, cinema etc etc. I say go for it and you lonly live once!

Guest guest36187

If it something that you really want to do and you have set your heart on it then go for it. There are many people that are worse off financially in Australia but the family/personal/quality time that they have is of higher value.

It does depend on what kind of lifestyle you want. If you want to be out every week for dinner and going here, there and everywhere it will be tight. If you are willing to make some sacrifices and cutbacks in life you`ll do fine.

DO remember that a 457 is NOT a permanent visa and is by no means a guarantee to Permanent residency.

Edited to add: Im not sure how much you are aware of a 457. You are `tied` to your employer. You have to work full time and if something happens and you leave your employer.....you have 28 days to find someone to take over your sponsorship.

A 457 is obviously much less of a risk independantly or as a couple than it is if you are coming over with a family.

GOod Luck xxx

thanks joanne for your info as always but I think what I really need to know now is which areas close to wembley ( 45 mins ish by train or bus) will I be able to afford to live (rented on wages offered) untill my family come over and my wife finds a part time job ( within school hours) 3+ bed.

Info needed soon because I need to get back to employer asap if I am going to accept offer.

Many thanks

cobbler

thanks pumkin,

I think what I am looking for is someone who lives around these areas that know where I can rent/buy when the time is right. I have looked at realestate.com.au but I am not sure which suburbs to look at for the best.

Thanks again

cobbler

Hi All,

I have been informed that as a family from the UK we would be entitled to a visitors level of medicare on a 457 visa. As for lifestyle the five of us sold our 4 bed detached for a three bed semi ( I was thinking three bed house would rent out easier if we moved to oz ) so althougth we will not ''rough it'' we are not looking for a palace either, as I said though I need to find an suburb within 45 mins public transport to wembley (where job is) that is suitable regarding renting, buying, schools, shopping, entertaining my family while I am at work, etc etc.

I look forward to your help.

cobbler

I seriously think this could be a major struggle for you. Normally I am the first to jump in when people winge about how much things cost but realistically I think you will struggle. $1200 is that take home? If it is then possibly it could be done, I know the northern areas of Perth are generally more expensive to rent than the South.

If $1200 is your wages before any deductions then I cant see how it will work on just the one wage. My OH brings home more than $1200 and we only have the one 9 year old son at home, now while we are doing ok I wouldnt want it any tighter.

I also think that the type of visa is really going to make the cost of living higher too. You wont be entilted to full Medicare and your Health Insurance will be higher, also you wont be entitled to any of the first time owner grants, not sure about the tax system either whether or not you would get the rebates.

I would advise you do tonnes more research, personally I wouldnt bring my family out on anything other than a perminant visa, but having said that I know others that have and its worked out well for them, good luck:wubclub:

Well thanks for your straight forward reply. Blunt BUT totaly honest, this is the type of reply anybody who has not been to an area that they intend to migrate to really needs. What income do you think my family needs to be comfortable (per week gross)??

Many Thanks

cobbler

It does depend on where you are going to live, I dont know enough about the northern suburbs to help in that respect. You can get properties in the southern suburbs, such as Warnbro, Waikiki for that kind of money but I dont think you could hope to get to Wembley within 45 minutes and the properties may not be the best but do able. As I said if the $1200 were take home then possibly it could be done, but even then it may be a struggle. Our rent is $400 a week so you can see a large chunk is taken, friends of ours who have 2 children have a food bill of approximatly $200 per week, our Electric bill was $168 per two months, we have quite a modest lifestyle financially speaking, wouldnt change it though. Hopefully someone from the northern suburbs may come to give you advise on cheap areas :wubclub:

Well I hope that somebody does join in and give me some insight on the running costs of living in an area that I could possibly afford because what you are saying (I think) is tooo risky!! and reading what you say I agree because moving to oz is definatly not about living on the bread line.

Archived