Internet dongle

Phil & Vikki

We are getting to Sydney by the end of the week and we are going to need to get mobile internet as soon as we can (a dongle). We have had a look around and you have ones like 3 and Virgin, but we were wondering which would be best for service and coverage.

At the moment we are looking for a dongle as we will not have a land line and will be moving between houses possibly within the first few months.

Hi, i have a BLINK dongle, got it from harvey norman, cost $50 with 1gb on it, good coverage in the city, not so good in the sticks. Cheap to recharge, i pay $29 a month for 2gb when telstra is about $70 i think. If ur in or around the city you should have no problems with a BLINK and far cheaper than some bigger brands. Vodafone are rubbish apparantly ........ i wouldnt know. Cheers

I recently bought an Optus dongle for $79 with 4GB which lasts for 3 months.

Warning: In typical Optus Schmoptus fashion, after a month they cancelled what credit was left (3.6GB). (This is the type of thing you get used to here).:biggrin: So I called them up and they reinstated it, but they couldn't set an expiration date 3 months in advance (doh!), only 6 months. Suits me as I barely use it so I am more likely to get a bit more value out of it.

Good luck.

We just recently bought a vodaphone dongle there are doing a special offer in Big W and some of the other electrical stores maybe dick smith too!!!.

We paid $99 got 3 gb with I think its 30 day expiry but we also got $150 recharge voucher for free in the box. That recharges 12GB and has a 365 expiry date. It's called the back to school offer not sure how long it lasts.

You can check coverage on the vodaphone website before you buy. Hope thats useful

Jayne & Angie

Hi guys,

I recently bought a virgin mobile one for $49 with 4gb and 30 days expiry from good guys, I used it for surfing and skype, I think it was a special deal but it also came with a free pay as you go Nokia mobile phone, we used it for a month whilst waiting for our internet connection, It ran out the day we got connected. hope this helps. Cheryl.

Thanks for the feedback guys. In the end we have gone for a Optus dongle $129 with 8gb usage. We are in North Sydney at the moment and the coverage is really good. It is better when you plug it into the USB rather than having it on wi-fi. It does seem that we are not using that much mb at the moment, so the 8gb may last a couple of months, before we have to buy more.

Archived