Australian houses dearest

Petals

You still can't escape the fact that this is Broken Hill we are talking about here, I would be surprised if even 1% of immigrants would want to live there.

Thats true, I just picked it of the top of my head and maybe not the best example but its outside the square. Thats the thing most immigrants want to live in somewhere else like ProudPom mentioned LaLa land with a pool & short walk to the beach.

Maybe try this place just off the top of my head

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Katoomba/?adid=2008268657

Bit more expensive but still doable at $355K, I would live in Katoomba myself its not exactly LaLa land and it doenst have a pool....and its defnitely not a short walk to the beach.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if you were selling your pokey 3BR house in Grimsby and looking to buy something affordable then Broken Hill would be more affordable than Sydney.

I'm not sure what Grimsby has to do with Broken Hill?

We certainly can't compare them as commuter towns!

Grimsby - London = 4 hours / 350 km

Broken Hill - Adelaide = 5:43 hours / 500 km

(source: google maps)

Thats true, I just picked it of the top of my head and maybe not the best example but its outside the square. Thats the thing most immigrants want to live in somewhere else like paul1Perth mentioned LaLa land with a pool & short walk to the beach.

Maybe try this place just off the top of my head

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Katoomba/?adid=2008268657

Bit more expensive but still doable at $355K, I would live in Katoomba myself its not exactly LaLa land and it doenst have a pool....and its defnitely not a short walk to the beach.

I do remember liking Katoomba... I seem to recall it's a bit of a trek to Sydney though? On the plus side it's on the train line isn't it?

I'm not sure what Grimsby has to do with Broken Hill?

We certainly can't compare them as commuter towns!

Grimsby - London = 4 hours / 350 km

Broken Hill - Adelaide = 5:43 hours / 500 km

(source: google maps)

Was an example from another thread. (written by someone else)

But even a blind man can see the point.

I also forgot to ask - what kind of work is available in Broken Hill?

Well I am sure there is always a need for

Doctors

Plumbers

Electricians

Carpenters

Mechanics (especially Diesel)

Hairdressers

Air Con Engineers

If you are a surf lifesaver or Skyscraper window cleaner then Broken hill might not be a good choice.

You Recall??

Its about 90 minutes drive.

I don't quite follow your incredulity at my recollection. Yes, I remember visiting Sydney and Katoomba many years ago. I also remember that I thought it took a long time to get between the two places. I went on a train. I enjoyed the journey. I would regard 90 minutes drive as an unacceptable commute.

I don't quite follow your incredulity at my recollection. Yes, I remember visiting Sydney and Katoomba many years ago. I also remember that I thought it took a long time to get between the two places. I went on a train. I enjoyed the journey. I would regard 90 minutes drive as an unacceptable commute.

Why would you want to commute to Sydney? Whats wrong with getting a job in Katoomba?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: 90 Minutes is a normal commute for may people who actually live and work in Sydney.

Guest chris955

Probably the fact that Katoomba has one of the highest unemployment rates in NSW.

Why would you want to commute to Sydney? Whats wrong with getting a job in Katoomba?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: 90 Minutes is a normal commute for may people who actually live and work in Sydney.

Nothing - I'd guess the odds are that a job in Sydney is a more likely prospect for a lot of people than a job in Katoomba, but your point is valid.

I don't quite see why you're laughing? I don't see how spending 3 hours a day stuck in traffic is hilarious. I'm quite aware that people commute ridiculous times, but it's not clear how many actually enjoy it - I'd suspect it's not a large proportion. My personal preference is to spend time doing things I enjoy rather than stuck in a car. If I could spend 5 minutes commuting instead of my current hour I'd jump at the chance!

Nothing - I'd guess the odds are that a job in Sydney is a more likely prospect for a lot of people than a job in Katoomba, but your point is valid.

As Chris pointed out that Katoomba has a unemployed rate of 9.5% which is about twice the NSW average, but for a Skilled immigrant I would say that would not be a major factor.

If you were any sort of trades man you will always have a better chance than those who are untrained or just damn lazy.

I don't quite see why you're laughing? I don't see how spending 3 hours a day stuck in traffic is hilarious. I'm quite aware that people commute ridiculous times, but it's not clear how many actually enjoy it - I'd suspect it's not a large proportion. My personal preference is to spend time doing things I enjoy rather than stuck in a car. If I could spend 5 minutes commuting instead of my current hour I'd jump at the chance!

Because the penny just dropped you dont actually live in Sydney....... we do have a bit of traffic here you know!!

Thats the balance live in affordable area and expect a commute of 60+ mins or a commute of 5 mins and pay the big bucks.

The whole point of this thread is it not??

No, I couldn't see the point - that's why I asked.

I think the point being made is they are both pretty grim places to live. If you were emigrating from Grimsby I don't think Broken Hill would pop into your mind as a place to apply and settle. I think you would maybe be setting your sites a bit higher. Sorry to all those people that love Broken Hill, I'm sure there are some.

I've been to Kalgoorlie a few times and from the first time I went thought if I had been asked to work and settle there when we came out I would have been on a plane back to England pretty sharp style. Some folks like it though. Takes all kinds, luckily, or the housing in the coastal regions would be even more expensive.

I also forgot to ask - what kind of work is available in Broken Hill?

It is a mining town, the biggest silver/lead/zinc deposit in the world. Sadly, it has seen far better days, the ore body is gradually dwindling, but there should still be jobs for drillers, bog out workers, plant operators etc. etc. There are all the usual job situations commensurate with the mining industry and associated infrastructure.

And not too bad a place to live in, the miners are the salt of the earth.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

As Chris pointed out that Katoomba has a unemployed rate of 9.5% which is about twice the NSW average, but for a Skilled immigrant I would say that would not be a major factor.

If you were any sort of trades man you will always have a better chance than those who are untrained or just damn lazy.

That's a slightly disingenuous thing to say - there are some types of job (and I agree I'm making an assumption about what's available in Katoomba here) that are unlikely to have many openings in Katoomba (e.g. Software Engineering - can you guess why I suggest that? :wink:), so it's not an option for everyone (lazy or not...). And I'd disagree with you that twice the rate of unemployment is not a major factor, although that's not based on any data I have.

Because the penny just dropped you dont actually live in Sydney....... we do have a bit of traffic here you know!!

We do in Melbourne too! (Sorry - I should have mentioned I wasn't in Sydney)

Thats the balance live in affordable area and expect a commute of 60+ mins or a commute of 5 mins and pay the big bucks.

The whole point of this thread is it not??

I'm not sure - isn't it about how expensive housing is in Australia? I don't think anyone would disagree that they're generally expensive would they?

I agree about the balance, but on a personal level I don't like commuting (in a car) for that long, but unfortunately I don't have the money to buy closer to work. Because the housing is unaffordable. (QED! :laugh:)

I think the point being made is they are both pretty grim places to live. If you were emigrating from Grimsby I don't think Broken Hill would pop into your mind as a place to apply and settle. I think you would maybe be setting your sites a bit higher. Sorry to all those people that love Broken Hill, I'm sure there are some.

I've been to Kalgoorlie a few times and from the first time I went thought if I had been asked to work and settle there when we came out I would have been on a plane back to England pretty sharp style. Some folks like it though. Takes all kinds, luckily, or the housing in the coastal regions would be even more expensive.

Doh! Thanks! (I genuinely hadn't spotted this :sad:)

That's a slightly disingenuous thing to say - there are some types of job (and I agree I'm making an assumption about what's available in Katoomba here) that are unlikely to have many openings in Katoomba (e.g. Software Engineering - can you guess why I suggest that? :wink:), so it's not an option for everyone (lazy or not...). And I'd disagree with you that twice the rate of unemployment is not a major factor, although that's not based on any data I have.

Well wasnt getting into specifics but for readers in general Plumbers, Electricians, or Air con engineers could all ply their trade at a local level in the Mountains. Penrith is only about 40 or 50 minutes drive away, of course if you are in an occupation like software engineering you are probably looking at North Ryde or Frenches Forrest.... even if you lived in the Sutherland Shire (popular with Brits) it would be a good 70 or 80 minutes commute to North Ryde.

I agree about the balance, but on a personal level I don't like commuting (in a car) for that long, but unfortunately I don't have the money to buy closer to work. Because the housing is unaffordable. (QED! :laugh:)

Well if you lived in Broken Hill your commute would be a lot less .....plus housing is a lot cheaper, of course we have now established that income would be lower and that the place is grim (or not) so there is a trade off.

It is a mining town, the biggest silver/lead/zinc deposit in the world. Sadly, it has seen far better days, the ore body is gradually dwindling, but there should still be jobs for drillers, bog out workers, plant operators etc. etc. There are all the usual job situations commensurate with the mining industry and associated infrastructure.

And not too bad a place to live in, the miners are the salt of the earth.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

What's a bog out worker?

• 1 month later...

Archived