Should we take our cat to Canberra?

dferri2000

We have looked on some of the threads on here and apparently some areas don't allow you to let cats out to roam. I don't think our cat would take too kindly to being locked up all day as we leave her outside now all day while we are out at work (unless the weather is really bad). Does anyone know what the regulations are in Canberra?

Also it looks to an about AUD$1500 to take her over including the paperwork and quarantine - does that sound about right?

Thanks Debbie

We have looked on some of the threads on here and apparently some areas don't allow you to let cats out to roam. I don't think our cat would take too kindly to being locked up all day as we leave her outside now all day while we are out at work (unless the weather is really bad). Does anyone know what the regulations are in Canberra?

Also it looks to an about AUD$1500 to take her over including the paperwork and quarantine - does that sound about right?

Thanks Debbie

Information about cats in Canberra Territory and Municipal Services - Cats

There is also the issue of rentals - some landlords dont allow pets so that may restrict your options

I don't know about the regulations however I am pretty against the idea of shipping your cat over with you... The climate is different, you can't tell a cat not to worry about the flight, the cost is high IMO and cats need their freedom and territory...

A friend of mine has a unit-bound cat and it seems so cruel to me...

Your choice though :)

Cx

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Debbie

Personally for me cats are part of the family and I wouldn't want to leave them a t home. There are situations where the pet may not be fit to travel or too old, then yes I think it is in the best interests for the cat to be left with someone who is familiar to them.

The council law may insist that your cat is confined to your property but it doesn't mean it still can't go out, you can cat proof your garden to allow your cat the freedom to come and go as it pleases.

Kate

We are also in a dilemma about whether we should take our cat. We are just at the start of the visa process so we have a while to decide but he is already 13 so will be quite old by the time we go. He is a house cat so I don't worry about him roaming - he will go in the garden at home but never leaves it and is happy staying next to us. The problem is he doesn't travel well at all and gets very distressed even on very short journeys and ends up crying and pooing in his carrier box. On the other hand he is quite a strange cat - he doesn't like strangers (he bites them) and doesn't like strange places (my MIL looked after him once when we went on holiday and he pooed on her kitchen cupboard - something he would NEVER do). None of our relatives like him so wouldn't take him for us and the alternative doesn't bear thinking about so I am really torn.

I just read this back and it makes our cat look like some evil poop machine but he's really friendly with us. We worried how he would react when we had children but he's fine with them but he really only likes the four of us lol.

Cats are funny creatures but the staff are so experienced and deal with cats with all sorts of different personalities so dont let that put you off. I know they hate the journey but the pet transport companies do this all the time so have it down to a fine art. If you decide to take him he will probably be fine and as a member of the family hard to leave him behind.

I agree with Kate, that if you love your cat and it is like part of the family it would be very hard to leave it behind.

I presume that animals are mildly sedated prior to a trip like this so hopefully they don't get too distressed.

I'm sure cats get used to the warmer weather and recover well after a few days when they get here.

I agree if the cat is very old, though it would be a hard choice.

My old girl just passed away at the grand old age of 19.

I agree with Kate, that if you love your cat and it is like part of the family it would be very hard to leave it behind.

I presume that animals are mildly sedated prior to a trip like this so hopefully they don't get too distressed.

I'm sure cats get used to the warmer weather and recover well after a few days when they get here.

I agree if the cat is very old, though it would be a hard choice.

My old girl just passed away at the grand old age of 19.

I brought my four siamese cats out with me and they are no different than they were at home, in fact they love the sun although they dont go out they lie by the fly screens and sun bathe. They certainly arent suffering because of the hot weather, we have air conditioning over here after all lol!! :wink:

Guest Chinkerbell
I brought my four siamese cats out with me and they are no different than they were at home, in fact they love the sun although they dont go out they lie by the fly screens and sun bathe. They certainly arent suffering because of the hot weather, we have air conditioning over here after all lol!! :wink:

We too are bringing our Siamese girl with us as she is only 1 yr old and loves the heat! She shouldn't be a problem as she just wants to be with us and doesnt mind travelling at all. Our boy on the other hand, no danger! He freaks out going the 10 minitues from the house to the vet. He also HATES being kept indoors as he was originally from a farm. It has been a tough decision but he will be staying with my son, and my old Staffie as she would not handle the heat in Perth. She struggles with our summers in Scotland as it is, but I know in my heart she will be fine with my son as they love each other.:wub:

I suppose we all have our own opinions on things, so I wish you well whatever you decide. As you stated in your earlier post, you have the gift of time to decide. Good Luck! :wink:

Thanks all, our cat is 11 so we are wondering if the upheaval is fair for her even though she has no health problems and she loves the summer so I think she'll be fine with the temperature! We just can't imagine leaving her behind!

My cats are 10 years old and coped fine and in the next kennel was a cat who was 14 years old and making the trip. As this was from South Africa they had to spend 7 months in quarantine not just the 1 month that UK cats do.

Thanks all, our cat is 11 so we are wondering if the upheaval is fair for her even though she has no health problems and she loves the summer so I think she'll be fine with the temperature! We just can't imagine leaving her behind!

My girl was 10 when we moved across last year and i think the stress of leaving her with someone else when she has been with us since she was 5 months old would far outweigh the upheaval of travelling and quarantine. After all it goes really quick and before you know it you are all reunited and happy once again.

Glad you have decided to bring her :biggrin:

Archived