anyone in their 40s 50s

legoman

Guest cazbeckham

Am in my 60th year and been in Buderim on Sunshine Coast for just over 2 years and had no problem with ageism.

But we are retired so not sure whether it would have an effect if looking for work.

Guest Guest31881

Hi, 57 now i was 56 when i arrived, I have no problem with Ageism, I am now running a museum with my wife, we wanted to do something different. No previous experience but a lot of enthusiasm. We were selected for the job whilst some younger couples were declined. So now I am a retired British paramedic, running a local history Museum in Queensland. I cannot think of any other country where I would have been given this opportunity. :biggrin:

I celebrated my 43rd birthday just after we arrived, hubby was also 42 - we've settled really well, although in the UK we were never as a family dependent upon other family or friends with the children etc., and were a very indepedent unit. This helped us in some ways, because when we moved here to WA we didn't know anyone

Guest guest30038

"I'd rather be an old fart than a young dickhead" is the sticker on my fourby. I like the attitude of that sticker...............don't get many tailgaters although the Tae Kwon Do sticker may have something to do with that :biglaugh:

Nope, the only problem I'm getting from ageing (62) is athritis. Haven't been in the job market so wouldn't know if there is discrimination. I do know that kids here seem to respect their elders more, and in the mals, if some kids buggering about bump into me, a look from me is enough to get an apology.

kev

Guest kmthor

Depends in what industry your in. if your looking for a job on the mines and need training, theres no way there going to put money into an older person.

i think if your on contract or casual it dosnt matter but if your looking for perminant it is definatly a more select field you have to chose from

note you do not have to declear your age on a CV or at an interview

Guest siamsusie
Depends in what industry your in. if your looking for a job on the mines and need training, theres no way there going to put money into an older person.

i think if your on contract or casual it dosnt matter but if your looking for perminant it is definatly a more select field you have to chose from

note you do not have to declear your age on a CV or at an interview

Speaking for the railways/mines in WA, they are recruiting older people with no problem as long as they meet health requirements.

My husband in his late 50's still gets head hunted for sparkie signals vacancies.

Guest kmthor
Speaking for the railways/mines in WA, they are recruiting older people with no problem as long as they meet health requirements.

My husband in his late 50's still gets head hunted for sparkie signals vacancies.

yep agreed... my mate is 53 and a sparkie gets paid truck loads and in high demand.

but as i said if you need training forget it...

Guest siamsusie
yep agreed... my mate is 53 and a sparkie gets paid truck loads and in high demand.

but as i said if you need training forget it...

I guess if you are fresh off the ground and have nothing to offer Kmthor, yes agreed, but my husband recruits Sparkies from overseas with no signal experience and the company are prepared to train...its a question isnt it of supply and demand:wubclub:. Now of course we have the rise in Pension age, so the guys with bum fluff on their faces are having make do with the old codgers for a good few more years:laugh:

You forgot to say how old you are Susie..:wink:

Guest siamsusie

Kev... a good few recruits come through from the UK having say worked on London underground, minus a sparkie licence but with signals experience and they can be in their late 40's.. They are trained up.

This can be on open cut mines such as Karratha, its all part of the mining industry. The company are now placing these guys through adult apprenticeships for their Sparkie Licences.

Guest kmthor

im sure it DID and sure it DOSE ..... theres alway exceptiions

How are those of you who arrived when in their 40s and fifties getting on in Oz, any problems with agism etc?

my answer to this is still YES it exists . dosnt matter what glasses you wear

Guest siamsusie
You forgot to say how old you are Susie..:wink:

:embarrassed:An imported bride PC, and they come in reasonably young these days:biggrin: I am very partial to the father figure:wink:they tire easier!

Guest siamsusie
im sure it DID and sure it DOSE ..... theres alway exceptiions

my answer to this is still YES it exists . dosnt matter what glasses you wear

:biglaugh: If there was no Doctor available other than a 72 yr old ageism wouldnt come into the equasion.. As I said its all a question of being suitably qualified for the job.

I am sure ageism exists all over the world but I am only reiterating my husband's experience.

Guest juliemtaylor

I am 43 now and retrained this year - got work straight away - mind you it is community Aged Care!

Julie x

Guest kmthor

I am 43 now and retrained this year - got work straight away - mind you it is community Aged Care!

Julie x

on a mine??????

interesting pecking order here

Archived