Upper age range to change to 50?

Sun Shine

Hi

Is it true that the upper age limit when applying for a Visa will change from 45 years old to 50 years old after July 2011?

Or is this misinformation....

Cheers

Ali

it is true. However there are no age points for anyone over 45 and I think it would be nigh on impossible for most 46 - 50 year olds to qualify.

Take a look at this thread - it relates to the new points test (in which the increase to 50 is detailed re the new points system).

I think there is a link on the first page/post.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/99047-new-points-test-details-released-11-november.html#post903433

Just spoke to the agent we used about this vicky,wanted to find out on behalf of a mate(47),he said it hasnt been signed off/verified yet??? said to wait untill july to see the actual impact it has,but also said dont bother getting my mates hopes up untill he(my agent) sees what happens,mates a bricky as well btw.

Guest VickyMel
Just spoke to the agent we used about this vicky,wanted to find out on behalf of a mate(47),he said it hasnt been signed off/verified yet??? said to wait untill july to see the actual impact it has,but also said dont bother getting my mates hopes up untill he(my agent) sees what happens,mates a bricky as well btw.

Yep looked to me that you would only be able to make the points at the 45-50 age group if you were highly qualified at Uni - and could grab points from a number of other options. Maybe Oz will start panicing in a couple of years as I imagine this set of point will rule out many tradies and change things a bit - but by then a few years will have passed.

I wonder if they will add the age 45-50 to the state sponsored categories when they bring the points in? That would provide a lot more hope for skilled tradies.

Vicky

Guest carolynr6280

If the age limit changes to 50 does this mean that the applicant needs to apply before they are 50 or before they turn 51 - enquiring for a friend who turns 50 this year and would like to come out here using his degree.

Many Thanks

Carolyn

Guest VickyMel

I think it is before their 50th birthday.

But the new points system is expected July 2011 (may not happen on time?) plus they should look at the points allocation (link above) - is is not the same as previous and the actual number of points to be able to apply has been suggested at 65 - however this may change.

VickyMel

Yep looked to me that you would only be able to make the points at the 45-50 age group if you were highly qualified at Uni - and could grab points from a number of other options. Maybe Oz will start panicing in a couple of years as I imagine this set of point will rule out many tradies and change things a bit - but by then a few years will have passed.

I wonder if they will add the age 45-50 to the state sponsored categories when they bring the points in? That would provide a lot more hope for skilled tradies.

Vicky

I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm in a similar (over 45) position and was wondering in the new points system what other points one can 'grab'?

Guest VickyMel

Hi CookGa

Welcome to PIO - ask away there are loads of folks on here with advice (all we are not always correct and you may get several different opinions!).

That a look at the following thread - there is a link to the proposed points system.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/99047-new-points-test-details-released-11-november.html

Getting additional points

Although people with UK and some other passports automatically get a certain number of points you can increase the points by doing and English IELTS test.

I notice on this new test partners qualifications may get extra points.

I have absolutely no idea whether they will use this point system with the SMP system (but maybe it says in the details?)- in which case State sponsorship can gain you extra points.

The new points system is not fully out yet and I suppose they may still change a few things on it.

VickyMel

Hi VickyMel,

Thanks for the suggestions. Having researched a little further I think my chances really depend on securing state sponsorship. Trouble is I notice the states seem to have an upper limit of 45 also. Do you think the states will increase their age limits too?

Gary

Vicky

Beware , piece on current affairs programme bout people 50 and over who cant get work ,this was managerial and bluecollar. Take the resource industry away and theirs nothing everything geared up for that .

Guest Canderson

Hi all, I have read the age criteria increases to 49yrs on July 1st 2011. It does not seem to be 50 as stated in the comments above. Can anyone clarify if this means 49yrs and under by July 1st 2011 or if one is 49yrs and over they still can apply? We talked to migration agency in Adelaide who said no I would be too old to apply. Hubby will be 50yrs this month too with all the required qualifications and experienced for LAME. Can anyone clarify what does 49yrs actually mean? Thanks from Ireland

Archived