Perth household bills - Can you fill in the blanks?

Goochie

We're just trying to get a grip of the household costs in Perth. Finding the weekly cost of property rental is the easy part, but can you fill me in on the following, based on local knowledge?

Council Tax

Water

Landline

Broadband

Gas

Electricity

House insurance

Thanks

We're just trying to get a grip of the household costs in Perth. Finding the weekly cost of property rental is the easy part, but can you fill me in on the following, based on local knowledge?

Council Tax - not payable if you are renting, value based on house value. Mine is $1300 p/a

Water - rates not payable if renting, usage is. $800 p/a water rates and about $300 usage

Landline - combined with my broadband about $140 per month

Broadband - see above

Gas - hot water and gas hob only, about $300 every 3 months.

Electricity - includes pool pump and aircon/heating. averages about $220 a month

House insurance - combined buildings and contents $65 per month

In addition you have car costs. Car insurance for a 12 month old Toyota Prado is $650 p/a and the rego is about $500 p/a. Foxtel costs me about $130 a month and the mobile phones for 3 people cost around $100 per month. I spend about $300 for a family of 4 on shopping per week. School fees for 1 state school child total about $200 p/a and for private high school costs me about $5000 p/a. If you do have kids factor in swimming lessons, dancing or other sports and you can kiss goodbye to another stack of cash. Some of those costings may not apply to you but some might.

Council Tax

Water

Landline

Broadband

Gas

Electricity

House insurance

Thanks

No council tax for tenants, property owner pays the council rates.

You are charged for every drop of water you use, mine is around, $40 for 3 months, I have a pool I top up, but am very water concious and don't waste it.

Landline $29 a month for rental, calls around $10 a month, I use my mobile more, I'm on a $49 cap plan and never go over it.

Broadband is $39.95 a month. I bundle together my landline, broadband, mobile and Foxtel to get a discount, save around $30 a month doing it this way.

Gas averages out to about $200 a quarter. I have only heating and water heater on gas, so my bills are higher in winter than in summer.

Electricity is average $400 every 2 months.

Insurance will vary on how much you want to insure your property for. You will only need contents insurance for a rental property.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Based on the commonly accepted PIO rate $2.2 to £1, its is very important that people emigrating are aware of this figure, so they don't accept a wage at the current exchange rate of $1.55 to £1, because if they do, it would spell disaster for them.

So below are my monthly outgoings in the uk and someone living in a bigger house in Australia, Brisbane, are in red.

Rates/ £1450 per year/ $3300 is it the same?...... approx $1600 in Brisbane

Gas/electric/ £1600 per year/ $3500 - how much do you pay?...........approx $1900

Petrol/ £1.18/ $2.50 how much? .................diesel - $1.20

car insurance/ £500/ $1100 ? ................incl Rego & fully comp approx $1300

yearly water rates/ £400/ $850 ?................ $416

Guest The Ropey HOFF
where is this 2.2 worked out from? Is this the average exchange rate over a period of time?

I think its important that people once they move over stop comparing to the UK price of things.

Its going to drive andrewepin mad again, but he's a big mincer anyway.

It comes from the fact that most major jobs in Australia, such as nurses, police, teachers, tradies and government jobs etc are paid at roughly $2.2 to £1.

You WILL be paid in dollars when you get there and you WILL forget the pound eventually and the current crap exchange rate is only relevant if you are visiting OZ, or you are initially emigrating and changing your money over, but after that its dollars.

Council Tax - not payable if you are renting, value based on house value. Mine is $1300 p/a

Water - rates not payable if renting, usage is. $800 p/a water rates and about $300 usage

Landline - combined with my broadband about $140 per month

Broadband - see above

Gas - hot water and gas hob only, about $300 every 3 months.

Electricity - includes pool pump and aircon/heating. averages about $220 a month

House insurance - combined buildings and contents $65 per month

In addition you have car costs. Car insurance for a 12 month old Toyota Prado is $650 p/a and the rego is about $500 p/a. Foxtel costs me about $130 a month and the mobile phones for 3 people cost around $100 per month. I spend about $300 for a family of 4 on shopping per week. School fees for 1 state school child total about $200 p/a and for private high school costs me about $5000 p/a. If you do have kids factor in swimming lessons, dancing or other sports and you can kiss goodbye to another stack of cash. Some of those costings may not apply to you but some might.

I'm in Brisbane but for a family these costs are pretty realistic. Broadband in particular is expensive compared Uk

Guest brickie001

perth here goes

council tax $1300

water $360

gas/elec dunno we pay $100 a month

broadband $69 8mb line 100gb allow

landline dont bother skype it

where the f*** does $2 to the quid come into it

u earn in $ u spend in $ the pound has no relationship

perth here goes

council tax $1300

water $360

I think that the $2.2 to £1 rate was only ment to give an idea, to those intending to migrate, of what you would approximately need to earn to live with some degree of comfort in Oz......ie....if you're earning £25 000 in the UK.... your job would need to pay approx $55 000 (in other words 2.2 times your UK wage) in OZ, allowing for cost of living, this would be reasonably comparable to the UK. It wasn't meant to be an ongoing exchange rate comparison..............

Guest The Ropey HOFF
perth here goes

council tax $1300

water $360

These figures are half of what i pay in the uk apart from the broadband. But i think its agreed food is a bit dearer in oz, plus you might want to pay for your kids to go into a private school which is affordable, mortgages are dearer and you might want to pay for extra medical cover and doctors appointments are to be paid for. But on the face of it household costs are alot cheaper.

Guest brickie001

yeh ok but why not research ur probable earnings and research ur probable outgoings and forget what it is in pounds.

it dont matter what u earn in the u.k its what u earn in $ and therefore pay out in $.

Every scenario is diff for every person so they have to look at there own circumstances and if they can afford to live here.

For instance we pay out $700 a week in child care,we eat diff to probs some familys,, and one persons living aint anothers.

Ok ask costs ,look on the web at food costs,childcare what ever else u need....but dont assume u can do in oz what u can do in the u.k on similar money....the 2 countrys are diff

Jesus thats the longerst i ever typed on ere

Guest The Ropey HOFF
yeh ok but why not research ur probable earnings and research ur probable outgoings and forget what it is in pounds.

it dont matter what u earn in the u.k its what u earn in $ and therefore pay out in $.

Every scenario is diff for every person so they have to look at there own circumstances and if they can afford to live here.

For instance we pay out $700 a week in child care,we eat diff to probs some familys,, and one persons living aint anothers.

Ok ask costs ,look on the web at food costs,childcare what ever else u need....but dont assume u can do in oz what u can do in the u.k on similar money....the 2 countrys are diff

Jesus thats the longerst i ever typed on ere

The problem is mate, when people are looking at emigrating, they look at costs of stuff over there and if they use the current rate of $1.55 to £1, they think crikey everythings extortionately dear in oz, but as you know, you are paid in dollars and the wages are roughly based on $2.2 to £1.

I wish they weren't because at the current exchange rate we would get $50,000 extra pay per year, which sounds fantastic, but it isn't any increase at all, because the exhange rate is a false economy.

Guest brickie001

yeh see ropey the problem i have with that is that the wages are not based on nothing to do with the pound they are based around supply and demand as in any western or even eastern countries .even based on my salary yep aus is expensive, even on yeh derranged exchange rate of 2.2 to the quid it dont figure ...do yeh research on real numbers real figures.... i take it u live in oz ropey ??????? or are u well meaner with no reality of oz today...by ur comments i take the latter as in just food more expensive here....try just about most stuff is dearer here....besides fuel i.e petrol,diesel...but then take in to account most cars are serviced every 15k kms to keep up ur warranty

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Listen mate, most people on here are looking at emigrating and are trying to find out as much info as possible and some people are coming back and need help and info also and i try to help people. You are in a great position to help people because you are living there, which you did before with your figures, have you got anymore?

Thats the point....people hoping to emigrate mostly havn't much of an idea about the real costs involved.......thats actual living costs.......weekly shopping.....filling the car up with petrol each week......going out for a meal with drinks...... buying house insurance for the year......getting a mobile phone(best deals).....cost of electricity per quarter(or month).....cost of gas per quarter(or month)..what work situation is like.......etc etc etc.......

Basically suppose you want to go and live in Japan, but you've never been before and dont know much about it other than the bits you can google off the internet. Then you come across a website where you can talk directly to people already living there......just imagine the questions you would want to ask !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

yeh see ropey the problem i have with that is that the wages are not based on nothing to do with the pound they are based around supply and demand as in any western or even eastern countries .even based on my salary yep aus is expensive, even on yeh derranged exchange rate of 2.2 to the quid it dont figure ...do yeh research on real numbers real figures.... i take it u live in oz ropey ??????? or are u well meaner with no reality of oz today...by ur comments i take the latter as in just food more expensive here....try just about most stuff is dearer here....besides fuel i.e petrol,diesel...but then take in to account most cars are serviced every 15k kms to keep up ur warranty

The 2.2 is based on the difference between the average wage in the uk and the average wage in aus. Nothing to do with the exchange rate.

Of course some jobs won't pay 2.2 more and some will be more than 2.2....it's just an average as that's the closest you can get without writing a thesis on the subject. Giving this average doesn't prevent people researching their own circumstance.

I'm in Brisbane but for a family these costs are pretty realistic. Broadband in particular is expensive compared Uk

Do you pay around $140/month for broadband and landline as well? To me that seems really expensive unless you are on an unlimited plan or something?

Do you pay around $140/month for broadband and landline as well? To me that seems really expensive unless you are on an unlimited plan or something?

Decided to take a look at my plan as I have been with iinet for 6 years and never changed anything. anyway, my plan was so old and pricey I have today upgraded to a new plan with them. 200GB download peak and offpeak with landline for $79 a month + calls, which knowing my teenage daughter will add up to a bit. Saved myself a bit of cash today!!

Decided to take a look at my plan as I have been with iinet for 6 years and never changed anything. anyway, my plan was so old and pricey I have today upgraded to a new plan with them. 200GB download peak and offpeak with landline for $79 a month + calls, which knowing my teenage daughter will add up to a bit. Saved myself a bit of cash today!!

That's great!!!!! I pay 59.95 per month to iinet for naked dsl phone line and broadband....including all calls to landlines...50GB peak + 50GB off-peak. Not everyone wants to go naked dsl for their phone though.

I pay $60 for 25GB wi-fi but it is unlimited, its just slows when you get to that limit. We get landline & Foxtel also on the same bill which adds up to $200 per month. Which is a lot but we are with Telstra because they are the only provider round here that actually works! :arghh: So if we lived elsewhere, it would probably be cheaper

I pay $60 for 25GB wi-fi but it is unlimited, its just slows when you get to that limit. We get landline & Foxtel also on the same bill which adds up to $200 per month. Which is a lot but we are with Telstra because they are the only provider round here that actually works! :arghh: So if we lived elsewhere, it would probably be cheaper

By wi-fi do you mean wireless broadband through a dongle or standard adsl through your phone line which is then sent wi-fi around your house? If it is a wireless broadband dongle do you know what speed you manage to get? I like how some providers call slowing you down when you reach your limit "unlimited"...dodgy advertising. TPG do proper adsl2+ unlimited for anyone interested: http://www.tpg.com.au/about/pdfs/Media%20Release_TPG%20Releases%20Truly%20Unlimited%20ADSL2+_240910.pdf

Telstra and Optus have traditionally been the worst broadband suppliers. They sometimes do good deals but more often have had the slowest, lowest limit and/or most expensive, mum and dad style packages. As you said unfortunately out at North Lakes it is notorious for its terrible broadband access so choice is limited....shame the inner north is getting the NBN first when they already have good access.

By wi-fi do you mean wireless broadband through a dongle or standard adsl through your phone line which is then sent wi-fi around your house? If it is a wireless broadband dongle do you know what speed you manage to get? I like how some providers call slowing you down when you reach your limit "unlimited"...dodgy advertising. TPG do proper adsl2+ unlimited for anyone interested: http://www.tpg.com.au/about/pdfs/Media%20Release_TPG%20Releases%20Truly%20Unlimited%20ADSL2+_240910.pdf

Telstra and Optus have traditionally been the worst broadband suppliers. They sometimes do good deals but more often have had the slowest, lowest limit and/or most expensive, mum and dad style packages. As you said unfortunately out at North Lakes it is notorious for its terrible broadband access so choice is limited....shame the inner north is getting the NBN first when they already have good access.

Thanks fish01! It's adsl with wi-fi.........wireless dongles here are even worse & my kids have laptops & Ipods all using the broadband so I guess we do ok really. Good info for others reading this though, cheers

Archived