Accepted Job Offer in Melbourne - Now What??

emmafaye

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so please be gentle with me!

OH had been in touch with a company in Melb who have offered him a job and a very generous relocation package, which includes flights, visas, accomodation etc. After sending us a copy of the contract, he has accepted the job, but I'm just wondering what happens now?

Am I right in thinking that the company applies to the gov for the visa etc, and so we just sit back and wait to be contacted?

Will there be a breakdown of what needs doing when, i.e. medicals etc?

We need to arrange our house to be let out, and so we are wondering how long (generally, of course) the whole process from this point can take?

Should we wait until we hear about something specific or just go ahead and instruct a letting agent regardless?

We have the option of moving in with family until we fly out, but dont know how quickly we need to get organised with everything!

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm excited and a teeny bit scared of what needs doing and when!

Thanks for reading and I hope you can shed some light for me.

Emma x

Guest Stevebel

Congratulations on a great opportunity - I'm sure lots of us are eyeing your situation with envious eyes :yes:

You'll almost certainly be going on a 457 visa, which for UK applicants has a maximum processing time of two months from the date of submission (reference: http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charter.../visas/3.0.htm).

There'll be some paper-chasing before you actually submit the application though, and people more knowledgable than me have said that can take up to a month, so you could be planning for a start date of March / April.

Your OH should talk to the company involved though. They'll be able to give a real indication as to how long these things take, and what sort of paperwork he'll need to generate.

What a lovely Christmas present for you both!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Emma

Welcome to pomsinoz and congratulations on the job offer it sounds a great package that they are offering, well done.

Hugs

Kate

Hi Emmafaye

Your situation sounds a lot like mine so I'll try and tell you where I'm at with it and hopefully manage to keep it quite short.

I applied for a job at the beginning of september this year through the companies website. By middle of Sep on a sunday night I'd had a skype interview (surprisingly it only lasted about 50mins!) By Tuesday I got a proposed job offer and thats where it started!

Since then I've had a pre employment medical in London, had to sort out estate agents for renting the house, I've had 2 shipping companies round so far and one more to come.

The company have asked for various documentation including - childrens birth certs, copies of passports, documents proving that me and my partner have been together for more than 6 months, copies of medical insurance and the original letter returning signed to Aus.

In addition to that I've had to sign and return the 956(457 visa) form a 1229 form and a 1066 form. Also copies of my qualifications and so on and so on.

Then on monday of this week I have been contacted by a relocation agent telling me that they will sort out the shipping, flights etc! It seems like I've done a lot of things that were not necessary but hey ho at least I feel in control.

I will be flying out to Melbourne with the family in Feb next year and luckily the company are sorting out temp housing and a hire car until I get settled in.

It hasn't been a particulary difficult time so far but the closer the day gets the more I'm getting the feeling that I haven't sorted something out.

My advice is return all paperwork as quickly and correctly filled in as possible but do not be scared to ask for help from the company. It's a major step that your all taking so make sure you know everything that you need to.

Good luck and maybe our paths will cross on the other side!

I am going through the same situation !

Was offered a position with full relocation late Nov 2010. I accepted the offer and an Immigration Agent was appointed to lodge the visa application.

They requested information (birth certs, marriage certs etc) which I provided the next day.

Now I have not heard from them for approx 2 weeks. I have contacted them but they say the application will be lodged "shortly".

The waiting is making my family and I very anxious as I will not be resigning from my current post until the visa is granted. Also, we need to rent the house out etc.

We have had one shipping survey undertaken so far and are due two more visits by other removalists next week...

Every morning I check emails in anticipation but nothing.....:arghh:

I'm in the same position with my employer - The Aus company wants me to start work in Feb 2011 but I will not put my notice in with my employer until I have the visa in my hand.

Worst thing is though that due to Christmas most people won't be looking to rent house or buy the cars and misc items I need to sell. Unfortunately it looks like I could be leaving the country with a lot of loose ends :sad:

It may mean that I have to put the start date back a little but we will have to see.

Also I have just spent some time reading the 'returning to UK' thread and tbh I'm a little depressed now. I know that its different for all but it certainly starts putting the dampners on things

Thanks everyone for replying, its great to hear from everyone and hear about which stage they are at, it makes me feel as if we're not the only ones in the world who are anxious about it all!

Well as soon as we hear anything, I shall update you all, but thanks for letting me know what happens and at least it gives me a rough idea of the timescale of the whole thing.

We are also going to rent out our place, so I think the best thing is to get as prepared as we possibly can (ie ebay, car boot sales) and then stay at my mums until the flights are booked. That way we are ready to rock and roll as soon as it all goes through.

Looks like I'm going to have a busy January spring clean!!

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so please be gentle with me!

OH had been in touch with a company in Melb who have offered him a job and a very generous relocation package, which includes flights, visas, accomodation etc. After sending us a copy of the contract, he has accepted the job, but I'm just wondering what happens now?

Am I right in thinking that the company applies to the gov for the visa etc, and so we just sit back and wait to be contacted?

Will there be a breakdown of what needs doing when, i.e. medicals etc?

We need to arrange our house to be let out, and so we are wondering how long (generally, of course) the whole process from this point can take?

Should we wait until we hear about something specific or just go ahead and instruct a letting agent regardless?

We have the option of moving in with family until we fly out, but dont know how quickly we need to get organised with everything!

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm excited and a teeny bit scared of what needs doing and when!

Thanks for reading and I hope you can shed some light for me.

Emma x

Hi,

Congrats.

Attached is the literature for ENS this may help you.

Regards

Archived