GSM minimum Age change

Wildrover

Guys wonder if any of you have heard this to?

I spoke to a friend last night who told me that her migration agent had emailed her saying that the GSM minimum age had been increased from 45 to 50 :biggrin:(possibly higher). I cant find anything on the immigov pages, it might not be correct:skeptical:

Hi sorry it took me some time to find what you was looking for,

Tania

More information from Peter Speldewinde - in fact the same discussion i've summarised earlier but more copious notes:

DIAC – Peter Speldewinde

Thank you Dita/Julianne. Being a Canberra person it is special to be able to talk to people who have an interest in the ACT and I am able to have a favourable look at what Canberra needs.

A range of things have been happening in Skilled Migration. There are an outstanding number of students overseas who are waiting for entry. There is a big difference in people coming into Australia for 12 months or more than those that are leaving the country. Students have been around 300,000 – should be at the range of around 150,000 to 180,000 maximum. In the last 18 months the amount of 300,000 has reduced. Both sides of government are looking at Migration issues. The Labour Government discussions are around sustainable over big migration/big Australia.

Big Issue – What drives migration? Growth in student numbers, thing have changed in the last 18 months with the increasing dollar, violence towards students, financial world changes. Integrity changes with schools/colleges all equals a drop off in student numbers. 2009/2010 was the 3rd biggest year.

Net overseas migration currently going down. Where will it bottom out? How to predict?. Several government agencies working together to plot a plan of action. Huge amount of reform both in permanent and temporary migration.

What do we want? – to be responsive, the past has proven to be a problem. Growing numbers of people on bridging visas and more in the pipeline.

Need to be targeted – Labour should be demand driven, not supply driven. We need to focus on people with skills that were in need, not necessarily those already in the queue. This means that some people have been pushed down the ladder and will get processed, but it will just take longer. The system needs to complement industry training – skills needed.

457 is meant to be the flagship to respond to changes in demand with skills shortages across Australia. Drop in 2009 equals drop in demand for jobs softening labour market. Now 457 rate is picking up and unemployment is coming down. Level of permanent is dropping away and the 457 is being used more often. The 457 category is meant to respond immediately to industry demand.

Permanent Visa category – not designed to respond to urgent shortages – more long term. The 2009/10 Skilled Stream target was 108,100 and the outcome was 107,868.

Plan Projections – more employer sponsored, less independent. Meetings are scheduled with Minister regarding what should be in next year’s program. Shift from Independent to sponsored migration 5 years is dropping off – deliberately engineered by government. Employer sponsored plan is hoped to be 39% - State sponsorship will be determined over the next few months. DIAC behind on state sponsored 20%. Family sponsored has dropped dramatically. Business skills has remained the same.

The aim to target priority processing came in January 2009 to try to get different dynamics – this takes a long time to change. 2nd priority is State Sponsored. 3rd is General Skilled on new SOL priority 3. 4th is everyone else not already given priority.

We are focussing on highly skilled and highly valued. Government announced new skill occupation list from skills Australia – we did the research. Workforce needs workforce planning. Long lead times for some jobs. Medium to long term need for some occupations. High value occupations people would stay in that occupation.

Review to be started on the occupation list – January 2011 should have recommendations.

Question: Will the government revise the list in a year’s time?

Answer: Don’t know, is the simple answer. Skills Australia will make recommendations, government will decide them.

The points test has been reviewed. Lots of consultation with varying government departments. Points test announced last Thursday. The pass mark is 65 – 1 July next year will be the formal advise date. Recommendation for government to remove the pool mark. Concept of the pool was a good idea 12-13 years. New changes have been made and pool marks do not seem relevant/viable. Ministers to decide this now. GSM Pipeline 134,000 – pool marks just not needed now. Pool mark and pass mark are the same.

Sponsorship is a must now (open discussion on breakdown on points requirements). Age has been revised – age has experience and more likely to stay in their occupation if they are older and been working in that occupation for several years. Upper age limit has been extended up to 50.

English – IELTS 6 in all 4 categories. 20 points given to IELTS 8 or over.

We are trying to achieve an optimal balance – looking long term – where they think the economy is going. Trying to make sure the program is driven by genuine economic need.

Business Skills Program. Discussion paper coming out in the next few weeks. Hasn’t been reviewed since 1999. Government has requested fundamental look - 8000 places - are they really being used – if not, the 8000 places could be used elsewhere.

Employer Nomination Scheme. State working party to re-examine current. Paper to go out for that.

Regional Definition. Inter department committee meeting. A presentation was given with 25 views being expressed. They have planned another meeting to refine views and get consensus across government. They are determined to get a single definition.

Skilled Migration Model

- Flexible

- Accurate targeting

- Greater ability to control nominations

- adapting to changing economic conditions

- delivery of new model 2012.

Aim

- Absolute consistency

- target program delivery

- processing – much better match between program places and applications.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Have a look at the details of the new points test on the sticky part of the migration page-you wont get points for being older than 45 but your visa may still be considered. I doubt whether these changes are in effect now but will come in when the new points test is introduced-but this is only my own take on it and you may wish to ask for more clarification on here from a registered migration agent.

regards

I was pleased to see the age limit increased, but in practice I wonder how many people are going to be able to pass the points test after age 45. I think it will be very hard.

Agreed, you would need something like a phd, internationally recognised excellence in you feild that you've worked in for 40 years and be prepared to live in regional Australia... oh and your English skills have to be beyond reproach.

Slightly tongue in cheek but not far from the truth

Archived