Going back to UK for uni

ggardemma

Could someone help me out with a dilemma we've got!!!

We want to give Australia a fair shot but worried about our daughter's schooling as she is not happy here. If we stayed and she finished year 12 she would then be ready for university here.

If we go back would she be able to use her australian high school qualification to get into uni or would she have to do A levels? Obviously she has missed out on doing GCSE's too.

Any advice would be great I've turned into a real worrier since we've been here it hasn't lived up to what we thought.

Emma

In the first instance, I would suggest contacting the international admissions officers at a few select universities, for the type of course that your daughter may wish to do. My gut feeling is that the HSC may not articulate well with the first year of a 3-year English degree. Best to check now though as you are doing. Good luck.

You need to look into the rules for doing this. I am not sure how it works, but if you have been out of the UK for more than a certain length of time, then your daughter would be classed as an international student and you would have to pay international fees for her at uni.

Love

Rudi

x

You need to look into the rules for doing this. I am not sure how it works, but if you have been out of the UK for more than a certain length of time, then your daughter would be classed as an international student and you would have to pay international fees for her at uni.

Love

Rudi

x

And I think you will find that it is only three years out of the country.

Mamba

Yup, you have to have been resident for 3 years otherwise you cop international student fees.

She would need very high scores to get into an even mediocre university (think 95+) and for many courses would need to do an additional foundation year. If she is in a position to do the IB then that will travel better than the HSC.

If there is any chance you could get her back to do A levels rather than hanging on here then that would be a better option IMHO. You might then also get away with the line "we were only on a posting and we have come home" when arguing the toss with unis about international entry.

Archived