new VIC SMP - where are you now

Guest Mongobear

Uli...

I got visa...:)

regards

Bob

Congratulations Big Bob :) it was fast. Really happy for you mate :) wish you the best with your move :)

It's my 5th day now in Melbourne and I have to say that the country is fantastic and people are so nice and helping. I hope you will love it too :) congratulations again :)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VickyMel

congrats Big Bob really pleased to see it come through

On another forum one of the reps has just posted that VIC has just updated their occupations list

Vicky

Hello,

I was wondering how long it takes to receive a DIAC File Reference Number (that you return to your sponsoring state) when you submit your application online for a 176 visa? I'm I also right in saying that you can do the whole thing online if color scans are used?

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards,

P.

Guest Mongobear
Hello,

I was wondering how long it takes to receive a DIAC File Reference Number (that you return to your sponsoring state) when you submit your application online for a 176 visa? I'm I also right in saying that you can do the whole thing online if color scans are used?

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards,

P.

Hi PW,

it shouldn't take too long to receive the ref-nr. In my case it took just some hours. And yes, you can use colored scans when applying online.

Cheerio

Uli

congrats Big Bob really pleased to see it come through

On another forum one of the reps has just posted that VIC has just updated their occupations list

Vicky

Thanks Vicky for all your help over these years...Appreciate that... Couldn't believe that got this golden ticket in 20 days flat...lols:cute: then I pinch myself and say Yes :) I have it now :)

regards

Big Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Rehan

Date of SMP application: August 17, 2011

Trade/profession: Electrical Engineer (Smart Metering/ Energy Management)

Nationality: Pakistani

IELTS (if applicable): 8.5/8/7/7.5 (Overall: 8)

Visa type: 176 VIC SS

DIAC Priority (if applicable):

Delays/further docs requested:

SS received:

comments:

I have been told to wait till the outcome of application.

Guest Mongobear
Name: Rehan

Date of SMP application: August 17, 2011

Trade/profession: Electrical Engineer (Smart Metering/ Energy Management)

Nationality: Pakistani

IELTS (if applicable): 8.5/8/7/7.5 (Overall: 8)

Visa type: 176 VIC SS

DIAC Priority (if applicable):

Delays/further docs requested:

SS received:

comments:

I have been told to wait till the outcome of application.

Hey buddy,

many thanks for adding your details. Unfortunately I have to say that I decided not to continue this thread since I'll be leaving to OZ in some months and won't have much time to look after it.

Maybe you want to open up a new thread.

Best of luck for your application

Uli

• 3 weeks later...
Guest immiausi

I am about to lodge my visa application.Can any one advice me regarding the documents evidence I should attached.

If i attached scanned copies of originals do I need to certify them.Please advice:shocked:

Guest Mongobear
I am about to lodge my visa application.Can any one advice me regarding the documents evidence I should attached.

If i attached scanned copies of originals do I need to certify them.Please advice:shocked:

Hey buddy,

if these copies are colored scans then you don't need to certify them.

Cheers

Uli

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mongobear

Hello Ladies,

This is the captain again :pirateface_yes_sm_c Just a simple question - probably to those who have already moved to VIC. Has anyone of you VIC-sponsored fellas already received one of their surveys? I received one some months ago but have not yet migrated. I wonder if they will only start sending these surveys once I migrated. Anyone here who has more details?

Cheers

Uli

Hello Ladies,

This is the captain again :pirateface_yes_sm_c Just a simple question - probably to those who have already moved to VIC. Has anyone of you VIC-sponsored fellas already received one of their surveys? I received one some months ago but have not yet migrated. I wonder if they will only start sending these surveys once I migrated. Anyone here who has more details?

Cheers

Uli

Hi Uli, glad to read your message. Yes I received the same survey last month. I thought it has a relation to validating the visa as I received it after 2 days of landing in Melbourne. I need to add also that I was contacted by the government of Victoria informing me that they know I entered the state of Victoria. And they asked for the home address and provided too many links to help for settlement in Victoria.

Hope your plan is going well with you mate :) and i wish to hear your news good man.

Cheers

Guest Mongobear

Hey OZ,

good to see that you're finally there. Did your eMail start like that?:

Dear Mr. OZ

The Victorian Skilled and Business Migration Program has been notified that you have had your permanent residency visa granted.

Congratulations!

Information to help you successfully establish yourself in Victoria ...

... followed by a million links about employment, regional victoria, settlement and so on. This is the one I received 6 some months ago but none after that.

Apart from that, how's the settlement going? Are you already working or still searching? How's the job-market down in Melly?

Cheers

Uli

Hi Uli, glad to read your message. Yes I received the same survey last month. I thought it has a relation to validating the visa as I received it after 2 days of landing in Melbourne. I need to add also that I was contacted by the government of Victoria informing me that they know I entered the state of Victoria. And they asked for the home address and provided too many links to help for settlement in Victoria.

Hope your plan is going well with you mate :) and i wish to hear your news good man.

Cheers

Hey OZ,

good to see that you're finally there. Did your eMail start like that?:

... followed by a million links about employment, regional victoria, settlement and so on. This is the one I received 6 some months ago but none after that.

Apart from that, how's the settlement going? Are you already working or still searching? How's the job-market down in Melly?

Cheers

Uli

Yes Uli it is exactly the same email. So I think I just received it after arrival and it has no relation to validating the visa.

We are really excited about living in Melbourne. Thanks for asking Uli.

We felt home once we went out for the first time in Melbourne. People are so nice and so lovely. We really enjoy walking in parks and watching the beautiful birds and nature. Too many things to do there and the state is huge. Never felt bored of it.

Before I answer your question about the employment I just need to say that I went back to Kuwait 2 weeks ago and I resigned at work once I entered the company. I didn't succeed finding a job during the one month stay in Melbourne. I noticed that agents and employers need an immediate start. I mentioned in my resume that I'll be available in 3 months and maybe its the reason for not succeeding in catching an offer. I joined too many groups and read too many comments in too many social or employment websites. People say they can spend 1 to 3 months until they succeed and start working. However, I can't confirm the accuracy of that. I will get back soon after I get released from my duties at work-that will be in January-yes I have to work for 3 months after the resignation notice. And I well see if there will be any difference when I will be available immediately for employment. Anyway it will take us sometime until we setup our home again. Furniture will take a month until it arrives to Melbourne. I will give my job hunting task my full attention once we arrive back to Melbourne and I'm studying to get some certificates to support my CV and prove a professional skillful employee.

In conclusion, we found our dream life when we were in Melbourne and we are willing to take the risk until we stand on feat again. The employment will get to us sooner or later as long we work on it seriously. The important question here is: do we really love the place which we are going to move to? And actually that was the reason of our visit to Melbourne before the actual move. It was going to be prefect of course if we succeeded to hunt a job offer before the move. Unfortunately I couldn't.

I found too many advertised job opportunities which match my experience. And that gives me confidence that finding a job once availability will be possible in a reasonable time. Unfortunately, that's all what I can say for the time being. I think someone who is already settled in Melbourne can be more help for us. I appreciate if someone here can spot lights on his/her experience hunting a job opportunity in Melbourne after the move.

Hope I could give a specific answer for your question Uli. I notice good job opportunities on websites, but my one month stay in Melbourne was not enough to understand the job market. However, the life there as we found it worth the effort and the adventure which we will live. I resigned and I have no regrets. My friends think it's a stupid thing to do before securing a job there, but I really feel a relief and confidence that it will not be difficult to start in Melbourne. For my case, I'm just lucky to have enough funds to support our start in Melbourne.

Hope I could be more help Uli. Please let me know about your preparations mate :) did you make any arrangements yet for your immigration plans? If you plan to go soon please let me know if I can give you any advice or answer any question. Accommodation, mobile phone services, car hire...etc

Cheers :)

Guest Mongobear
Yes Uli it is exactly the same email. [...]migration plans? If you plan to go soon please let me know if I can give you any advice or answer any question. Accommodation, mobile phone services, car hire...etc

Cheers :)

Hey Oz,

Many thanks for that detailed answer. Our migration plans are moving ahead slowly but steadily. Our plane will leave on the 9th of April and we're also just about out to find the right shipper for our furniture and stuff. There's still so many things to do but luckily still some months left.

Regarding the job-hunt you could get in touch with Camran. He's in Melly since 1 or two months and just starts the hunt.

Good luck for your move !

Uli

Hey Oz,

Many thanks for that detailed answer. Our migration plans are moving ahead slowly but steadily. Our plane will leave on the 9th of April and we're also just about out to find the right shipper for our furniture and stuff. There's still so many things to do but luckily still some months left.

Regarding the job-hunt you could get in touch with Camran. He's in Melly since 1 or two months and just starts the hunt.

Good luck for your move !

Uli

You are most welcome Uli. And thanks for your advice :) i know It's difficult to make this move. I was also confused about the decision as I found my current employer making me amazing offers in attempts to make me stay. Wish you finalise your preparations smoothly and wish you luck with all your plans.

Cheers, :)

Hi Vikings!!

I hope all is well with the troops? I am fine and looking forward to going. We fly to Melbourne 6th Feb. life has been really crazy over the past month or so. I resigned from my job here in the UK, updated my CV and tested it by appliying for a job in Melbourne. Long story short, I had a couple of telephone interviews followed by some other checks. I've been successful and start work 2 weeks after my arrival! I can't actually believe how lucky I've been.

I hope everyone is fine, either about to leave or are there already in Vic living your dreams :)

Yoyo xx

Guest VickyMel

We have received the survey a couple of times now - although I am not sure it is the same survey? We did not get the links and the survey seemed more to be about our use of the Vic SS web site than anything else (and I have to say was badly written).

We also received the same survey a couple of times before we moved - including once before we had the visa!

To all of those that have recently landed in Melbourne - what are your first impressions and how does this compare with your expectations???

I have been very impressed, we got bank cards, tax numbers, visas validated and medicare done in the space of a couple of hours. All very efficient.

We found that once we had an arrival date that potential employers started seeing us in a better light. OH was interviewed 2 days after we arrived and started 3 weeks later.

I have not been looking too hard since - been sorting things out at home. Have not found much luck with the agencies - all seems automated and they mainly want me to apply for jobs online rather than visit them. But I think this may be very different for the IT positions. I will start to try a bit harder to look for work - but I think with December holidays coming up there will be fewer jobs up until the new year.

Hi Vikings!!

I had a couple of telephone interviews followed by some other checks. I've been successful and start work 2 weeks after my arrival! I can't actually believe how lucky I've been.

Congrats Yoyo that is brilliant news.

I am finding the Melbourne people friendly

The weather changeable - but having come from the heat I am enjoying the changeable weather and it is mainly sunny and fine.

Enjoying the parks and the beach.

Guest auzzycrazzy

Hi guys

I'm planning to apply for Victoria SS.

Victoria has stated on it's wbsite, Canadian citizens don't have to provice IELTS results, but my occupation (Software Tester), requires IELTS 7 in each module.

I'm confused, being a Canadian citizen, do I need to provide IELTS 7 in each module

Thanks in advance

Guest Mongobear
Hi guys

I'm planning to apply for Victoria SS.

Victoria has stated on it's wbsite, Canadian citizens don't have to provice IELTS results, but my occupation (Software Tester), requires IELTS 7 in each module.

I'm confused, being a Canadian citizen, do I need to provide IELTS 7 in each module

Thanks in advance

Hey ac,

if they state that they don't want to see an IELTS from Canadian citizens than you're fine I guess. You just have to keep in mind that you might need it later on for the visa-application (depending on the points you need).

Cheers

Uli

Guest auzzycrazzy
Hey ac,

if they state that they don't want to see an IELTS from Canadian citizens than you're fine I guess. You just have to keep in mind that you might need it later on for the visa-application (depending on the points you need).

Cheers

Uli

Thanks so much.

You are fantastic, keep helping others.

So your understanding is, even if some occupations need higher band of IELTS(E.g. IELTS 7), if the applicant is from one of those countries(Canada, UK, USA etc..), Victoria doesn't need an IELTS. Right?

And coming to "DIAC needs IELTS", I'm looking to convert my existing 176 Family sponsored applictaion to 176 SS application( I applied in June 2009). So I don't need to sit for an IELTS exam.

Thanks again

Guest Mongobear

Hey AC,

Sorry for the dealy. I just had another look on the VIC-page and it clearly states:

You must achieve an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of at least six in each band, unless:

[...]

you hold an eligible passport for which an exemption applies because of your country of citizenship. Consistent with the Commonwealth Government’s requirements, you are not required to provide an IELTS assessment for state sponsorship consideration by Victoria if you hold a passport from, and are a citizen of, one of the following countries: USA, UK, Canada, Republic of Ireland or New Zealand.

So lay back and don't bother with the IELTS-scam machine. Converting the family-sponsored visa should also be easy as long as you cross the (old) 100-points mark. I did the same with my 175-visa back in April this year.

Good luck !

Uli

Thanks so much.

You are fantastic, keep helping others.

So your understanding is, even if some occupations need higher band of IELTS(E.g. IELTS 7), if the applicant is from one of those countries(Canada, UK, USA etc..), Victoria doesn't need an IELTS. Right?

And coming to "DIAC needs IELTS", I'm looking to convert my existing 176 Family sponsored applictaion to 176 SS application( I applied in June 2009). So I don't need to sit for an IELTS exam.

Thanks again

Guest VickyMel

I think that the passports give you an automatic level - not sure what level that is - best to check that it is level 7 or above if you need that for your occupation for the DIAC side of things.

Cos if like Uli's quote states you must get IELTS level 6 unless you hold xyz passports - you should check that having those passports does not just give you a level 6 equivalent?

Sorry not sure if that makes sense but I know many UK passport holders still do the IELTS to get a higher score. Might be worth putting the query on the main migration forum to attract a larger audience.

Archived