new VIC SMP - where are you now

Guest Mongobear

Hi people, after asking for even more info a few weeks ago, you can now turn us Blue!! Vic said yes! We can now apply for the Visa!!! Yay!!! So pleased! It seems like an eternity we've waited! I was starting to go slightly insane! Now we have the next big wait ahead of us! Hope everyone is well! :biggrin:

Congratulations and all the best for the 176 app. Good news after a while. Feels real good:biggrin:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

i am filling out ielts application form and the next test is an academic not general which do we need to sit or does it matter??

/also after July my oh said he will need the higher test can he sit that one now?

i did not see any details about a higher test??

can anyone help i am trying to make todays post??

thanks j:biggrin:

Guest Mongobear
Hi All

i am filling out ielts application form and the next test is an academic not general which do we need to sit or does it matter??

/also after July my oh said he will need the higher test can he sit that one now?

Hi Julie,

the academic one is a little more difficult than the general one. The listening and speaking parts are the same but reading and writing is different (more academic). However, the the academic one will be accepted by the DIAC as well so if your hubby has no problems to sit a more difficult test, the DIAC won't mind.

After July he'll have to score 8 in all 4 sections in order to get the full extra points, at the moment it is 7. But it doesn't matter if he scores it in the academic or general test, however, the general is easier.

Cheers

Uli

Hi All

Is your OH British? I mean is English his mother tongue??

If yes, then most probably he would find Academic test more difficult to score than the General one (it's applicable for all native speakers unless they are involved with teaching English).

But, looking at the incoming July 1st changes, going for Academic now would be a good idea. Good luck!! :hug:

armandra!

Guest Mongobear

But, looking at the incoming July 1st changes, going for Academic now would be a good idea. Good luck!! :hug:

armandra!

Did I miss something? Are there any rumours that only the Academic test will be accepted as of July or do you think/know that there might be some extra-points for the academic version?

Cheers

Uli

Guest Mongobear
Well done Natalie 1981. Excellent news.

Well we have had a request for a personal email address rather than a work one - what does this mean ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Very good question. You're the first one to receive this. Maybe VIC has some objections to send mails to company-addresses. Was it an obvious company-address or a well-known company ?

Did I miss something? Are there any rumours that only the Academic test will be accepted as of July or do you think/know that there might be some extra-points for the academic version?

Cheers

Uli

Naaaaaah, I was talking about Julie's OH pointing out scoring 8's if they happen to apply after July 1st.

Relax Captain Uli! I'll share any confidential info if it comes my way!! :wink:

armandra!

Is your OH British? I mean is English his mother tongue??

If yes, then most probably he would find Academic test more difficult to score than the General one (it's applicable for all native speakers unless they are involved with teaching English).

armandra!

Hi

so after july 1st changes having the academic test with a score of 8 or above will give more points than the general??also why would my oh find it more difficult because he is english??

thanks for your help!!

julie:notworthy:

Guest Buddy

Well we have had a request for a personal email address rather than a work one - what does this mean ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

your personal email will always be yours, your work email is not yours once you leave, and you won't be able to check the emails sent to you on it

Hi

so after july 1st changes having the academic test with a score of 8 or above will give more points than the general??

thanks for your help!!

Hi All

thanks j

Julie,

Sorry for the confusing usage of words. I was just pointing out what you already said in the previous post (highlighted in Bold).

What I actually meant was taking Academic test now (and scoring 7's) is better than scoring 8's in General (if the visa app is to be applied post July 1st and you are in need of extra points to cross the threshold of 65).

Post July 1st (as it has always been), taking Academic or General would make no difference to the way points are allotted by DIAC.

also why would my oh find it more difficult because he is english??

Native English speakers' usage of vocabulary and language nuances as such is different from what is commonly accepted in Academia.

Hence, English speakers tend to find General Test easier as the standards aren't as high as the Academic one. Unlike some one like me, who not being a native English speaker, nevertheless studied English (at a Convent) as the first language since Kindergarten would ace Academic test without any hiccups.

Disclaimer: Not trying to skew facts in anyone's favour here. No offence intended. :wink:

Guest Buddy
Hi

so after july 1st changes having the academic test with a score of 8 or above will give more points than the general??also why would my oh find it more difficult because he is english??

thanks for your help!!

No

on the new points system: in IELTS:

if you make 6 marks in each band, you get no points

if you make 7 marks in each band, you get 15 points

if you make 8 marks in each band, you get 20 points

it does not mater if you sit the Academic or General exam.

the general exam is little bit easier than academic, in the reading and wiring parts, it is identical in the listening and speaking parts

Here's what I posted about the same question on other forum (sometime ago):

Probably because someone at Vic Skilled and Business Migration really liked your profile and want to be personal, may be. tongue.gif

Jokes apart, I guess the reason must be that study or work email IDs are temporary, right? Means, once you get outta uni or quit the organisation, you'll no longer have that particular ID (which most likely would be the case if they do approve your SS and you move to Australia).

Vic Skilled and Business Migration keeps track of the SS applicants for the first 2 years of their arrival in Australia, that makes having a personal email ID indispensable since email ID would be the only means of communication. Simple.

P.S: Stop worrying about all these trivial things and just send your personal email ID (or create one if you don't have it already) soon.

armandra!

Guest Mongobear

What I actually meant was taking Academic test now (and scoring 7's) is better than scoring 8's in General.

Sorry armandra, I still don't get it. Eight is Eight isn't it? So wouldn't it be easier to score 8 in a general test rather than in the academic one? I don't see the point why an academic 7 should be better than a general 8. Actually I'd say the opposite is right since the general 8 will bring you 20 points in July whereas the Academic 7 will only bring you 15. smiley_emoticons_question.gif

Armandra, you are taking the entire light spot, keeping us in the dark, eating your dust, slow down! :)

Buddy,

I didn't knew (until now,that is) you are desperate to hog the limelight. Let's ask our Captain Uli to install a bigger and brighter spotlight wherein more people can share it, then. :laugh:

Captain Uli, you listening, right? I know I know, of course you are :wink:

armandra!

Guest Mongobear
Buddy,

I didn't knew (until now,that is) you are desperate to hog the limelight. Let's ask our Captain Uli to install a bigger and brighter spotlight wherein more people can share it, then. :laugh:

Captain Uli, you listening, right? I know I know, of course you are :wink:

armandra!

Here we go spotlight-emoticon.gif

Sorry armandra, I still don't get it. Eight is Eight isn't it? So wouldn't it be easier to score 8 in a general test rather than in the academic one? I don't see the point why an academic 7 should be better than a general 8. Actually I'd say the opposite is right since the general 8 will bring you 20 points in July whereas the Academic 7 will only bring you 15. smiley_emoticons_question.gif

Uli,

You saying the exact same thing as I am. Here's the deal:

Scenario 1: App has to be submitted prior to July 1st changes kick in. Say, there are no places available (as of now) for General test to be taken and receiving the score within the time frame and applying for visa.

Taking Academic test now, scoring 7's and applying before July 1st is the best option.

Scenario 2: App can't be submitted prior to July 1st (for whatever reason such as pending skills assessment or waiting SS approval).

Provided 25 points are needed to cross the threshold of 65, going for General and scoring 8's is the only option.

If at all 15 points are enough, then it's a roller coaster ride for scoring 7's.

armandra!

Guest Mongobear
Uli,

You saying the exact same thing as I am. Here's the deal:

Scenario 1: App has to be submitted prior to July 1st changes kick in. Say, there are no places available (as of now) for General test to be taken and receiving the score within the time frame and applying for visa.

Taking Academic test now, scoring 7's and applying before July 1st is the best option.

Scenario 2: App can't be submitted prior to July 1st (for whatever reason such as pending skills assessment or waiting SS approval).

Provided 25 points are needed to cross the threshold of 65, going for General and scoring 8's is the only option.

If at all 15 points are enough, then it's a roller coaster ride for scoring 7's.

armandra!

OK, got it know. Thought you were talking about a post July application for both scenarios becuase this wouldn't make any sense then.

Buddy, have your say :wink:

Cheers

Uli

Very good question. You're the first one to receive this. Maybe VIC has some objections to send mails to company-addresses. Was it an obvious company-address or a well-known company ?

Well it was an obvious company email but as hubbie is self employed ?? Anyway, ahhhhhhhhhh. getting frustrated - lol. They have sent every other ten million requests for additional info to this email. Oh just getting twitchy now as I suppose its yea or nay time any day soon.

Don't give up hope just yet - I've just got it - turn me Blue ahhhhhhhhhhhh

I'd just about given up - alsmost everyone else from Nov had heard. It's such a relief - next I'm going to call my agent and get the 176 in. Then crack open the champagne that has been waiting in the fidge for the past 23 weeks. :jiggy:We would have stuggled with a plan B as we won't have enough points after the changes, so would have had to rush to get SS from else where. Hey not a problem know.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, this has been a great thread - and kept me sane several times. :hug:

I'd just about given up - alsmost everyone else from Nov had heard. It's such a relief - next I'm going to call my agent and get the 176 in. Then crack open the champagne that has been waiting in the fidge for the past 23 weeks. :jiggy:We would have stuggled with a plan B as we won't have enough points after the changes, so would have had to rush to get SS from else where. Hey not a problem know.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, this has been a great thread - and kept me sane several times. :hug:

Congrats mate! Good luck with getting 176 really quick!!! :hug:

armandra!

Julie,

Sorry for the confusing usage of words. I was just pointing out what you already said in the previous post (highlighted in Bold).

What I actually meant was taking Academic test now (and scoring 7's) is better than scoring 8's in General (if the visa app is to be applied post July 1st and you are in need of extra points to cross the threshold of 65).

Post July 1st (as it has always been), taking Academic or General would make no difference to the way points are allotted by DIAC.

Native English speakers' usage of vocabulary and language nuances as such is different from what is commonly accepted in Academia.

Hence, English speakers tend to find General Test easier as the standards aren't as high as the Academic one. Unlike some one like me, who not being a native English speaker, nevertheless studied English (at a Convent) as the first language since Kindergarten would ace Academic test without any hiccups.

Disclaimer: Not trying to skew facts in anyone's favour here. No offence intended. :wink:

Hi

thanks for all you're help,i still can't decide which to go for!!!

my oh never usually fails anything!!

lets hope Vic comes through and we don't have to use it

julie:biggrin:

I don't know why I read it as "We are going to go for this type if visa if we failed with the 176"

and I had a panic attack

yoyo333, please next time type: "We were going to go for this type if visa if we failed with the SS"

don't use "176" and "fail" in the same sentence, PLEASE! :)

Lol, that was a typo using the iphone on a bumpy train. I dont understand why it would warrant a panic attack on your behalf

yoyo

Guest Mongobear

Very good ! So just forget my PM today about your status :wink:

Archived