IELTS test - AHPRA statement release today

yorkcath

I spoke to a nursing agency today and they told me that despite nurses being told that they don't need the IELTS test by some workers at AHPRA, they have had a letter this month from senior managers to say any nurse outside Australia must pass the test. Anyone submitting without the IELTS exam will only be granted part registration- which will be useless.

HOWEVER, AHPRA have released a statement today regarding English language requirements.

The statement says " applicants taught and assessed in his/her tertiary entry to practice nursing and/or midwifery education in English in the countries listed here (Australia, Canada, N.Z., Ireland, South Africa, U.K. and America) may be considered to have met the English language skills registration standards". But the first part of the release seems to indicate that English nurses do.

What does anyone else think?

Cath

Guest loveaussies

I send without IELTS test and waiting for a reply...submitted all the evidences of my education which was done in English..GOD knows...got 8 for everything apart from writing..which was 6.5..so might take it again next month for safe side

I have never known such a cock up from such a company as AHPRA.

It's a joke I did the IELTS 5 times getting 6.5 on reading every time. I have sent my application in when they had confirmed no longer require IELTS exam.

I am going to e-mail Health minister for OZ my whole life is living on stress and panic because of AHPRA and their ridiculous guidelines.

No wonder people give up and not bother going through with emigrating there. They have no idea what they are doing.

I am not doing another IELTS I have confirmed with secondary school that I left over 20 years ago and nurse training that I obtained in english and british passport and only language I speak.

The pressure I have is my BF is already in Brisbane and been there for 10 months.

IELTS has caused this delay!!!!!

Now they are going back on their change of guidelines from September this year.

I was half expecting this to happen.

More than likely as they can not cope with the demand of applications and finding reasons to delay it.

I will ring them tonight and they will say different things to me anyway pointless!

I would of given up about 4 months ago if my BF wasn't there!

:sad:

Guest loveaussies

I took IELTS only once and I got 6.5 for writing.........8 for all others....I couldnt believe and applied for rechecking my writing paper by paying 60 uid and result was same...waste of time ..going to take IELTS again on january 8th only available date in Manchester...FED upwith this and if I fail for something else..I dont know..???

Hi

I had contact from the AHPRA last week about a few things, but they did say the would waive my IELTS as I had previously been registered in NSW (in 1998), so seems that would have been required if I hadn't been. (annoying thing is I have passed it anyway for the anmc skills assessment!) Does anyone know if Aussie nurses having any hassles, and is any of this chaos known in Oz?

Good luck all

Gill x:eek:

I spent over £800 pounds on IELTS including petrol to get there and staying in hotels.

I have read the guidelines and clearly says if you did english at secondary school and for nurse training and have proof of this including you UK you may be exempt.

Apart from blood I can give and payout no more.

Really depressing me this now. Unable to pass on reading it is a bloody nightmare and in process of e-mailing Health Minister.

I am glad they are short of nurses over there, all because they have no idea what they are doing.

Tell the agency that AHPRA have confirmed IELTS not required and can not go back and what they have authorised.

This is a joke Gill I guess that was because you were registered with them before. Hence requesting IELTS and if you put your application in prior to July 2010!

Guest nursejojo

hi, new to the website. I'm a nurse and passed my ielts in march. got 457 visa and moving to adelaide in jan 2011. husband has failed ielts on reading twice by 0.5 mark. does anyone know if he still needs to sit ielts if he is effectively going on my visa. that nursing board in oz dont know their arse from their elbow as far as i'm concerned. an extra way of maing money me thinks!!! we are both uk citizens and have been educated in uk schools and universities. it makes me mad!!!!

yes there are major concerns in oz and Iam speaking from experience.we arrived here 12 weeks ago I sent my papers to register when I was back in the uk and still I wait for registration and still cant get an answer as to whether I need to do the ielts exam its getting stressfull and no one is giving me the answers.my hubby also a nurse is waiting to hear he has had to resubmit some paperwork because by the time they started to look at his stuff it was out of date? mmmmmmmmm patience has ran out when they say its laid back now you know what it means .

I have never known such a cock up from such a company as AHPRA.

It's a joke I did the IELTS 5 times getting 6.5 on reading every time. I have sent my application in when they had confirmed no longer require IELTS exam.

I am going to e-mail Health minister for OZ my whole life is living on stress and panic because of AHPRA and their ridiculous guidelines.

No wonder people give up and not bother going through with emigrating there. They have no idea what they are doing.

I am not doing another IELTS I have confirmed with secondary school that I left over 20 years ago and nurse training that I obtained in english and british passport and only language I speak.

The pressure I have is my BF is already in Brisbane and been there for 10 months.

IELTS has caused this delay!!!!!

Now they are going back on their change of guidelines from September this year.

I was half expecting this to happen.

More than likely as they can not cope with the demand of applications and finding reasons to delay it.

I will ring them tonight and they will say different things to me anyway pointless!

I would of given up about 4 months ago if my BF wasn't there!

:sad:

yes you could say that its even more stressfull once you arrive and your papers still havent been looked at no one seems to be bothered but you cant live on fresh air? we just keep hopeing something will arrive very soon as we are both nurses and neither of us can gain employment until it arrives money is running out we have been here 12 weeks .

I spoke to a nursing agency today and they told me that despite nurses being told that they don't need the IELTS test by some workers at AHPRA, they have had a letter this month from senior managers to say any nurse outside Australia must pass the test. Anyone submitting without the IELTS exam will only be granted part registration- which will be useless.

HOWEVER, AHPRA have released a statement today regarding English language requirements.

The statement says " applicants taught and assessed in his/her tertiary entry to practice nursing and/or midwifery education in English in the countries listed here (Australia, Canada, N.Z., Ireland, South Africa, U.K. and America) may be considered to have met the English language skills registration standards". But the first part of the release seems to indicate that English nurses do.

What does anyone else think?

Cath

the may be section on thier comments I would take with a pinch of salt it seems no one gives a definate answer we have written a letter direct to the ahpra manager because they can be very missleading in their information but your guess is as good as anyones we will await a reply which we asked to be sent as urgent we may even involve our local MP as we are now in a desparate position.we are both experienced nurses born and bread in the uk fully educated in the uk infact we have never lived anywhere else its a great shame we are unable to contribute to the health system here afterall we thought they were in need if experienced nurses and midwifes?

I feel for you, what visa have you gone out on?

I am going to contact Health Minister in Oz today expressing concerns.

I suggest you do the same!

I know that on Pomms in Oz someone had there IELTS overturned due to contacting Health Minister they need to be aware of the problems and the poor lack of organisation like AHPRA.

They are missing out on valuable nurses and not a good first impression by a new organisation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goingback2aus

Seems that AHPRA can't quite make there minds up, why do you have to take the ielts test when you where born in the UK educated in english went to college in england and uni and on top of all that are an australian citizen. I give up!!!

• 1 month later...
yes you could say that its even more stressfull once you arrive and your papers still havent been looked at no one seems to be bothered but you cant live on fresh air? we just keep hopeing something will arrive very soon as we are both nurses and neither of us can gain employment until it arrives money is running out we have been here 12 weeks .

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

AHPRA leave you anxious and uncertain with their forever changing guidelines!

Archived