Washing machines....

Smirfyduo

Hi everyone,

Some advice please!

When we got here, I noticed that everyone seemed to have top-loader washing machines. We brought our front-loader over with us from the UK, and I have always been pretty happy with it.

One thing I do find irritating is that every now and then, there seems to be a tiny little bit of mold that starts to grow on the rubber that seals the machine when the door closes. Is it only me? What am I doing wrong? It comes of really easily when I spay it with mold killer, but then I have to clean the mold killer off very carefully (or hubbies clothes tend to end up with bleach marks on the :embarrassed:)

Any tips? Or is it just a case of investing in a top-loader? Do they have the same problems?

Thanks

Jules:wubclub:

Guest cazbeckham

I bought a front loader washing machine when I got here and have no problems. I never close the door tight when it is not in use and I have never had mold on the rubber.

My Daughter bought a top loader but I am sure she said she would buy front loader next, not sure why the preference for top loaders unless they hold more.

Guest AussieGold

After a wash cycle just give the rubber bit a wipe over so theres no water on it, then leave the door open slightly to allow air in and you shouldnt have any mold problems, in either top or front loader.

I personally like top loaders better, for me they seem to last longer. I bought a new front loader once (decent brand), ran it no more than usual etc and it lasted 3 yrs, my top loaders last between 5-10yrs so for me it makes more sense financially.

hth :biggrin:

AG

We have the problem with the mould too. I wipe it off but it regrows. Mind you, we do seem to live in a mouldy area. Our shower sometimes gets it in the corners, even though it is cleaned frequently, and we once had a mattress go mouldy :embarrassed:. I think you just have to be extra careful about letting things dry and air thoroughly. Sometimes the clothes in our wardrobes feel ever so slightly damp if it has been raining and we have had the windows closed, so I try and make sure that at least one or two of the windows in the house are open all of the time, unless it is tipping down or blowing a gale!

Has to be a front loader for me, less water, does not tangle.

When we bought our first one here we had the choice of a Bendex and Westinghouse and we bought the Westinghouse could not find much powder then. Now in Vic there are more front loaders to look at than top loaders. Drought changes everything. :laugh:

Guest famousfive

Front loader for me,way less water which makes sense especially in oz,front loaders used to be expensive here which is why top loaders are more common.

Guest Guest40285

Front loader for me all the way, uses heaps less water and being on tank water thats a bonus for me, plus when I bought it got $150 back from the government as a water rebate

Front loader for me all the way, uses heaps less water and being on tank water thats a bonus for me, plus when I bought it got $150 back from the government as a water rebate

We got $200 rebate...And the sales lady suggested that we never close the door of our front load machine after the wash, to prevent the mould.:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

I still have the same front loader (a Miele) I bought here in Oz in 1986. It was expensive at the time but has certainly saved money since then in power, water, its gentleness on clothes - and not having to replace it ! :-)

Archived