This makes worrying reading.

KY9

Guest Shane&Lynn

Its fair to say that most migrants will get the "impression" of being safer in Australia but the facts make for a rude awakening.:eek:

These things can be read or made to read anyway you like.

You chose to highlight burglaries per capita but if you look at this one:

Burglaries by country. Definition, graph and map. you will see that there are half as many in Australia as in the UK. I always like to look at all sides of the picture rather than let others tell me what they want you to see.

Also this one shows that the gulf between the UK and Oz is even greater:

Car thefts by country. Definition, graph and map.. I dislike blinkered views that try to detract from others hopes and dreams.

At least give a clear picture so that people can make up their own minds.

I want a safer place for my kids. I know nowhere is going to be perfect but...

Drug offences by country. Definition, graph and map.

Shane

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shane&Lynn
I think with modern technology, the internet and mobile phones, more stories make the news which in the past went unreported.

over the past few years while trying to decide where we wanted to live I often look at various newspaper websites from townsville to the gold coast. What often struck me (after the initial shock that there was actually crime in Australia) is that what was making the front pages each week in the various Queensland papers, wouldn't even make the red tops here.

Guest chris955

I think there was some sort of error with the figures in that last list, we are expected to believe that in Germany they have 2.5 drug offenses per person :biggrin: Also Australia doesn't seem to be on the list, so again we are asked to believe there are virtually no drug offenses here which would surprise many. The other stats seem about right, I have heard before that Australia had one of the highest rates for car theft. Unfortunately what you have done is look at the total for the country and not per capital, again Australia heads the list for burglaries with around 50% more per capital than the UK. You have to look at the per capital rate obviously as a country with a bigger population will obviously have a higher total.

Like you I want what is best for my kids.

Guest chris955

Yes there seems to be a different emphasis on what gets reported in the two countries.

over the past few years while trying to decide where we wanted to live I often look at various newspaper websites from townsville to the gold coast. What often struck me (after the initial shock that there was actually crime in Australia) is that what was making the front pages each week in the various Queensland papers, wouldn't even make the red tops here.

Guest Shane&Lynn
I feel very disturbed and sorry inside at this sort of story, a fact of life , yes, right to accept , No, i'm not sure why i had children, so to bring them in to a life such as this , but i felt a Lot safer in the UK , so we are heading back at least to a better feeling if nothing else...crime here appears far more random and vicious.

We have been here 9 weeks, the violent crimes are very much more apparent than where we were from in th UK, locals have very much a blind eye , every thing is perfect.......

i'm sorry, I read your post and my jaw dropped open. We are aiming to be out there in less than a month and after all the hastle and cost of trying to get out there, we have said that we should give it at least 2 years. 9 weeks seems like a very short time to decide it's all over.

Is there another reason for your decision as well as the crime problem?

Hi gal

i am not going to contradict what you are saying................ well i am actually, but its not my contradiction, its from others who live in Australia, some have posted on this thread. They have said countless times that, the reporting of crime in Australia, is far less than in the uk and that some reporting doesn't transfer from state to state, giving the impression that, crimes alot lower in Australia than the uk, when actually its almost the same. Your the first person to say the opposite, i am not criticising you, i am just pointing out what alot of others have said. Crime reporting on the news in the uk, is at record levels and has been for years, countless murders, reported daily, things like rapes, robberies, assaults don't even get a mention anymore, because theres so many and just not enough time and news space. I still feel safe here and most people say they feel safe in most places in Australia.

everyone is entitled to their own opinions and thoughts ...this is just mine ....maybe im just a woose ....lol

mrs keily

Guest guest30038
These things can be read or made to read anyway you like.

You chose to highlight burglaries per capita but if you look at this one:

Burglaries by country. Definition, graph and map. you will see that there are half as many in Australia as in the UK. I always like to look at all sides of the picture rather than let others tell me what they want you to see.

Also this one shows that the gulf between the UK and Oz is even greater:

Car thefts by country. Definition, graph and map.. I dislike blinkered views that try to detract from others hopes and dreams.

At least give a clear picture so that people can make up their own minds.

I want a safer place for my kids. I know nowhere is going to be perfect but...

Drug offences by country. Definition, graph and map.

Shane

Must be a cock up on the drug graph. Australia isn't even in the top 60? :shocked:

kev

Those stats, like most, are fairly useless, they just serve the interest of whoever put them together.

I think I said on page 1, there is plenty of crime in Perth, it is a major City. Having lived in Anfield, Bootle (Liverpool), Stretford, Chorlton & City (Manchester) & Balham (London), I'm happy to dismiss anyone who tells me crime in Aus is the same as in the UK; its just not true, whatever all the stats in the World say. Fair enough, if you live in the village where Last of the Summer Wine is set, Perth may seem dangerous. If you come from a major City in the UK, you will see that whilst there is crime in Perth, it just doesn't compare.

Pablo is right, there are gun crimes every night in Liverpool & Manchester, it doesn't even make the news there anymore. And UK crime figures are skewed to keep them down anyway. If there's a fight outside a Northbridge pub at 4am, its in the paper the next day. If incidents like that made the papers in the UK, the Dailys would be 350 pages long each.

There is trivial crime, there is serious crime, there are drugs and there are gangs, but let's not get carried away.

Must be a cock up on the drug graph. Australia isn't even in the top 60? :shocked:

kev

I saw much more people using amphetamines on building sites and by the miners than i've seen anywhere else.

Guest chris955

That's fair enough, if you choose to dismiss the stats that is of course your right, but of course that doesn't mean they are wrong. Across the board it seems clear that the crime rates in both places are very similar, that's not anti Australian or indeed anti British it's just the facts.

It's not uncommon for immigrants to see things how they want them to be, it is to be expected. Let's face it nobody wants to go half way around the world and be faced with the same issues, it's easier to dismiss it.

We had hardly any gun crime where we were living in the UK so I wouldn't compare that area with the Western suburbs of Sydney where there is lots.

Those stats, like most, are fairly useless, they just serve the interest of whoever put them together.

I think I said on page 1, there is plenty of crime in Perth, it is a major City. Having lived in Anfield, Bootle (Liverpool), Stretford, Chorlton & City (Manchester) & Balham (London), I'm happy to dismiss anyone who tells me crime in Aus is the same as in the UK; its just not true, whatever all the stats in the World say. Fair enough, if you live in the village where Last of the Summer Wine is set, Perth may seem dangerous. If you come from a major City in the UK, you will see that whilst there is crime in Perth, it just doesn't compare.

Pablo is right, there are gun crimes every night in Liverpool & Manchester, it doesn't even make the news there anymore. And UK crime figures are skewed to keep them down anyway. If there's a fight outside a Northbridge pub at 4am, its in the paper the next day. If incidents like that made the papers in the UK, the Dailys would be 350 pages long each.

There is trivial crime, there is serious crime, there are drugs and there are gangs, but let's not get carried away.

Per Capita spelt (spelled) p-e-r c-a-p-i-t-a- Per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Let me explain: If i was in a room with 50 people in it and 40 of them where muggers, my chances of getting mugged would be higher than if there was only 20 muggers. The difference between the UK and Aus is the size of the room. Hope this explains

I'm not comparing Aus & UK. I'm comparing the major city that I have lived in in Aus (Perth) to those that I lived in in the UK (Liverpool, Manchester & London). In the case of Liverpool & Manchester, there isn't much difference in size to metro Perth. In the case of London, I'm not sure it's in London's interest to compare its crime figures with anywhere.

Hope this explains.

I'm not comparing Aus & UK. I'm comparing the major city that I have lived in in Aus (Perth) to those that I lived in in the UK (Liverpool, Manchester & London). In the case of Liverpool & Manchester, there isn't much difference in size to metro Perth. In the case of London, I'm not sure it's in London's interest to compare its crime figures with anywhere.

Hope this explains.

oh... well if you want to be scientific then obviously you're right..

That's fair enough, if you choose to dismiss the stats that is of course your right, but of course that doesn't mean they are wrong. Across the board it seems clear that the crime rates in both places are very similar, that's not anti Australian or indeed anti British it's just the facts.

It's not uncommon for immigrants to see things how they want them to be, it is to be expected. Let's face it nobody wants to go half way around the world and be faced with the same issues, it's easier to dismiss it.

We had hardly any gun crime where we were living in the UK so I wouldn't compare that area with the Western suburbs of Sydney where there is lots.

I'm comparing Cities Chris, seeing as I live in one now, and lived in them in the UK.

I find your post a bit condescending to be honest, not for the first time, so I think I'll leave it now.

Guest chris955

Isn't that exactly what you were saying when you posted "I'm happy to dismiss anyone who tells me crime in Aus is the same as in the UK; its just not true, whatever all the stats in the World say." ?b

Hope this explains.

Guest chris955

I should add that as I have already said I wouldn't be worried having read anything in this thread if I lived in this country or the UK.

Guest peacock
I should add that as I have already said I wouldn't be worried having read anything in this thread if I lived in this country or the UK.

Whats the point of you spending every day on here then, :huh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

A big factor in the crime statistics in Australia that people who don't like Australia like to conveniently forget to mention is................ Aborigine on Aborigine crime. Australias prisons are about 40% populated by Aborigines, not all of them are in for this sort of crime, but this IS crime on a huge scale that doesn't ever effect non Aborigine people and this is a sad indictment to Australia, but............... when statistics are being bandied around, taking away this crime would drastically reduce the feeling of being a victim of crime in Australia and thats why most people say they probably feel safer in Australia. This isn't to say that most Aborigine people arn't nice or decent, they probably are, it is just a fact Australia put alot of Aborigines in prison, which needs addressing.

There are plenty of decent suburbs in London, just as there are a range of suburbs in Perth. Yes parts of London and Manchester etc are horrible, but I would not choose to live in those suburbs now, just as I would not choose to live in the western suburbs of Sydney (or even parts of Perth). As the Ropey Hoff has already said, you do your research regardless of which country you live in - if you want to live in a low crime area you can, even if you work in London or Manchester or wherever. But you cannot guarantee you will not be a victim regardless of where you live.

One difference for me is that, having grown up in London, I always felt (rightly or wrongly) more confident - that I knew how to walk and how to act to fit in, and that I knew who I could talk to and who I should avoid. I am less certain here - but then my sons probably feel the opposite. It is what you know, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zambezi15
Oh dear! That's nearly as dangerous as living in Freckleton :biggrin:

Or even worse, having your wife reverse a car into weight lifting equipment and shoving it through the wall.....ha ha :tongue:

That sounds very much like the type of crime and weapon of choice in Africa..that should narrow down their search

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/images/smilies/policeman.gif

Slightly unrelated but to give an idea of perception. Lived in my street for over four years now. Nothing ever happens apart from the odd disgruntled parent arguing over parking when picking up kids from the school opposite. Anyway, girlfriends mum came over from South Africa for a few weeks. During her stay we had gun shots outside one Saturday night, whilst the following Saturday the guy in the flat below had his scooter nicked from the communal front garden. Both events were quite random and rare. Nerveless, it has dented my girlfriends mums opinion of where we stay.

And shes from South Africa:shocked:

A big factor in the crime statistics in Australia that people who don't like Australia like to conveniently forget to mention is................ Aborigine on Aborigine crime. Australias prisons are about 40% populated by Aborigines, not all of them are in for this sort of crime, but this IS crime on a huge scale that doesn't ever effect non Aborigine people and this is a sad indictment to Australia, but............... when statistics are being bandied around, taking away this crime would drastically reduce the feeling of being a victim of crime in Australia and thats why most people say they probably feel safer in Australia. This isn't to say that most Aborigine people arn't nice or decent, they probably are, it is just a fact Australia put alot of Aborigines in prison, which needs addressing.

Well if they stopped bashing ,robbing and mugging they probably wouldnt be put in prisons , a lot of croime commited by young indigenous is not reported ,they do owt they want like in the uk when plod confronts them they scream the race card ,

Well if they stopped bashing ,robbing and mugging they probably wouldnt be put in prisons , a lot of croime commited by young indigenous is not reported ,they do owt they want like in the uk when plod confronts them they scream the race card ,

I got threatened by an indigenous 'fella' a few weeks ago on the train. All because I was looking forward on the train out the window and he accused me of staring.

I have also never seen a sober one.

Guest siamsusie
I got threatened by an indigenous 'fella' a few weeks ago on the train. All because I was looking forward on the train out the window and he accused me of staring.

Have faith Bro they do exist:wink:

I don't think I've ever seen a sober Yorkshirepom !

Archived