UK Schooling v's Oz Schooling

redrobbersdog

Hi, I have been tolda that the OZ schooling is below the standards of that in the UK. Is this true? My little girl is very bright and exceeding above her level at the moment, although she is only 5 and time will tell, people are warning us if we are actually doing the right thing by moving to Perth and risking our daughters education! :sad:

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest deb31deb

same my daughter was 5 and assessed and advanced to year2 skipped prep and year 1 we started with catholic school which had fees but was not as expensive as private. This did not work for our daughters i aslo have a 10 year old so we have had them in a private school for the past year which is excellent and they are both thriving.

Don't want to get into the debate of Oz vs UK as some will have positive and negatives on both.

But personally I can't wait to get my kids away from UK schools, all the schools are interested in is their sats results..... Teaching children to pass a test is not teaching children IMHO.

BTW the oldest has great grades in most cases he is 2 to 3 yrs plus above his age group, that I expect to continue where ever we live as we both spend time with him, he enjoys reading etc so I can't see a problem. I don't think it's just up to the school to make sure children learn

Thanks deb31deb. This makes me feel a little better. So is your daughter still in a higher class, or in the private school she is the correct age year? If they start in a higher class, does this mean that they do the year 2 for a few years? Sorry for the questions, I'm not sure how they work it when they put them in higher classes, and also if this would make friendships:frown: hard.

So am I correct in thinking that the OZ schools are of a lower education standard to the UK?

Thanks again

Dawn

Guest The Ropey HOFF

You have to weigh up the long term future of your kids, this discussion has been done quite a few times on PIO and my impression is that its very similar, but here in the uk the schools are keener and push their students harder, but........................ heres the reality of it ALL and we ALL know this and we ALL can read what is to follow, but...................... wether education is better in the uk or Australia, is pretty irrelevant to me because...................... the jobs market is dire here in the uk. You can't hide this FACT we ALL know theres nearly 1 million teenagers out of work, we ALL know theres millions of others who have got good schooling and have had to take dead end minimum wage jobs and we ALL know that jobs such as nursing, the police, civil service, teachers, government, tradies, council jobs etc are going to be savaged and those keeping their jobs are having their pay and pensions reduced in the next year, but these jobs are being replaced by low paid, part time work, so........................ you need to ask yourself this, who cares wether Australia has better schooling or not at least................... your kids will have a great chance of a good well paid job with prospects and a great standard of living after leaving school, which surely is every parents goal.

Thanks Tracy, your right, I'm hoping that new quality of living will make up for it. At the moment with the working hours that my hubby and I do we get very little quality time with our little girl, it's just homework and bed.

Thanks again, I'm starting to think that maybe people are just scaremongering because they just want to put a negative on our exciting move!

Our eldest daughter was placed in the top group for her year in OZ, and found it way to easy, so got bored as she did most of it in year 6 and 7 in the uk! She is 12, the other two are 6 and 9 and were also placed in the top groups for their years!

Hi Jim, your right about there being no job prospects, so I suppose even is she does really really well here in the UK finding a job at the end of it might be difficult.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered, sometimes it's difficult to find what your looking for, and it's nice to have a chat on a Sunday morning about something that consumes your life all the time! :chatterbox:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi Jim, your right about there being no job prospects, so I suppose even is she does really really well here in the UK finding a job at the end of it might be difficult.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered, sometimes it's difficult to find what your looking for, and it's nice to have a chat on a Sunday morning about something that consumes your life all the time! :chatterbox:

I am not referring to the validity of the subject its a very important one, i am referring to what some anti-oz posters usually post, such has all ozzie kids aren't as bright as uk kids and they don't learn owt in their schools, and kids from the uk are far brighter and they find it less challenging because they are so far in front. Hopefully this will stop them, but don't bet on it. To me long term good job prospects is the aim and my kids are looking at retiring at 68 with a crap pension, unless they get a job that provides a good pension, but do they exhist any more here in the uk?

You know I keep reading this debate about Oz education, states schools being rubbish etc - I can`t say whether the education my daughter is getting here is better or worse - she finished primary school just as we moved here, went back to primary for 6 months before starting high school here. What I can comment on is the fact that she is doing very well, getting good grades, has a great group of friends and is very happy at school.

Funny old thing but Australia still seems to have Doctors, Lawyers etc coming out of their education system despite it being "poor, rubbish ...... insert whatever derogatory term here".

Thanks Tracy, your right, I'm hoping that new quality of living will make up for it. At the moment with the working hours that my hubby and I do we get very little quality time with our little girl, it's just homework and bed.

Thanks again, I'm starting to think that maybe people are just scaremongering because they just want to put a negative on our exciting move!

Some talk of personal experence of their own and that's all they are personal (good or bad), while others see a negative story about the UK and need to add a negative one about Australia (you know to add balance!!! :wacko:)

I think a lot of it comes down to the kids themselves, the school could be the best school in Australia or the UK but if the kids don't settle, things go down hill. Same as being home with their Mum and Dad, if they see Mum's homesick I think it effects the kids and then it transfers to the kids being un-happy.......

We can only do what we think is right, whether it turns out or not. :wubclub:

Guest deb31deb

I have pm you my daughters are really settled which they did pretty quickly just miss grandparents but we definately have a better quality of live. However still love the uk and proud to be british but this is the better life for us at this time in our life and we are loving it!

Read recently that UK was the bottom of the heap for education in Europe so its the same thing, bet it upsets people who read that, same goes for Aussies reading it too.

Australia has good education its different to UK education but having been a student in England, Africa, New Zealand I can tell you they are all different and the problem is as a child we have to cope with a whole new system of education. I know I did it and its hard.

Parents look to blame a system when its really the move to another system that is at fault. The last move I made was at the age of 14 and I ended up not fitting into the system at all. Left school and my education came after school.

I was never going to move my kids and I didnt.

I am not referring to the validity of the subject its a very important one, i am referring to what some anti-oz posters usually post, such has all ozzie kids aren't as bright as uk kids and they don't learn owt in their schools, and kids from the uk are far brighter and they find it boring because they are so far in front. Hopefully this will stop them, but don't bet on it. To me long term good job prospects is the aim and my kids are looking at retiring at 68 with a crap pension, unless they get a job that provides a good pension, but do they exhist any more here in the uk?

I do hope this isn't aimed at me, as you know from my previous post i'am no way an anti oz, Simply saying that our 12 year old had to have an assessment to see which group she would be placed in a oz school, Yes she found it very easy as this had been covered back in her uk school, But she did find other subjects more difficult, I think some subjects are more of a priority in the uk, and some more so in oz, Swings and roundabouts i think, We found oz schools far more laid back than uk, where as they are far more "on your case" regarding certain subjects, and lots of competition for the "best school" etc so there is far more pressure on the kids back in the uk,

Dawn x

Guest deb31deb

if school results are low and children are under achieving, the school as well as the parents have to take responsiblity and i know for sure i do not want my children in an under achieving school failing to meet its requirements .Every parent has the right to move the child and my children are thriving in their new school .Everyone is entitled to there opinons and this is mine the schools can be to blame in some cases . There can be good and bad schools in any country and unfortunately Australia has them as well as the uk and many others.

uk schools did not fail my children reception / prep in the uk assessed in au private school year 2 at 5 years old and that was due to great schooling and a clever child.

I still wonder how much it really matters how your school performed when you were 16 years old? At age 36, no potential employers care about my GCSE results. There were plenty of people who were brighter than me at school that have gone on to be serial single parents after getting degrees and just as many who were not academic (and would have been considered 'failures' at school) who earn money that I could only dream of... So what if UK schools push your 7 year old harder?

Guest guest37336

Bugger education, schooling, uni , etc. Just persuade your kids that to get heaps of money and become famous for being 'famous' :goofy::mad: all you have to do is either have a boob job, get em out whenever you can, preferably in front of the media, or become a contestant on Big Brother.

There are loads of ways in this day and age where work isn't rewarded. As I said, Big Brother, shoving drugs in your veins and telling everyone that it is 'cool'.

I have for ages now told my two daughters to stop worrying how they treat all and sundry, just get your t7ts out, sleep with a footballer, shout and swear as much as possible, the world will be your oyster.

Bugger work commitment, trying to help others etc, think of yourself and do whatever is needed to make you famous. Education, baa humbug.:mad::mad:

The world has gone mad.:goofy:

Cheers Tony.

Guest deb31deb
you have to weigh up the long term future of your kids, this discussion has been done quite a few times on pio and my impression is that its very similar, but here in the uk the schools are keener and push their students harder, but........................ Heres the reality of it all and we all know this and we all can read what is to follow, but...................... Wether education is better in the uk or australia, is pretty irrelevant to me because...................... The jobs market is dire here in the uk. You can't hide this fact we all know theres nearly 1 million teenagers out of work, we all know theres millions of others who have got good schooling and have had to take dead end minimum wage jobs and we all know that jobs such as nursing, the police, civil service, teachers, government, tradies, council jobs etc are going to be savaged and those keeping their jobs are having their pay and pensions reduced in the next year, but these jobs are being replaced by low paid, part time work, so........................ You need to ask yourself this, who cares wether australia has better schooling or not at least................... Your kids will have a great chance of a good well paid job with prospects and a great standard of living after leaving school, which surely is every parents goal.

both countries have their ups and downs lets not put each others down we should all be proud where we are from and respect others this teaches our children to respect. Uk is great and oz is great from my girls teaches us lot a lesson

Hi, I have been tolda that the OZ schooling is below the standards of that in the UK. Is this true? My little girl is very bright and exceeding above her level at the moment, although she is only 5 and time will tell, people are warning us if we are actually doing the right thing by moving to Perth and risking our daughters education! :sad:

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Education system is different but if your daughter is bright and in the right school she will be fine. A child that is bright and ahead at 5 may not be ahead when children level out at age 7. In spite of what you read in some posts there are plenty of well educated Aussies who all want the best for their kids and many schools have extension programmes. My youngest daughter has had differentiated work since we moved here when she was 6.If you moved back to the UK with teenagers there would be disadvantages getting back into the UK system as choices for GCSE are made earlier where as in Aus you would not be making subject choices until Year 10 for Years 11 and 12 but I have a 9, 14 and 16 year old and I am very happy with the education they are receiving here.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You have to weigh up the long term future of your kids, this discussion has been done quite a few times on PIO and my impression is that its very similar, but here in the uk the schools are keener and push their students harder, but........................ heres the reality of it ALL and we ALL know this and we ALL can read what is to follow, but...................... wether education is better in the uk or Australia, is pretty irrelevant to me because...................... the jobs market is dire here in the uk. You can't hide this FACT we ALL know theres nearly 1 million teenagers out of work, we ALL know theres millions of others who have got good schooling and have had to take dead end minimum wage jobs and we ALL know that jobs such as nursing, the police, civil service, teachers, government, tradies, council jobs etc are going to be savaged and those keeping their jobs are having their pay and pensions reduced in the next year, but these jobs are being replaced by low paid, part time work, so........................ you need to ask yourself this, who cares wether Australia has better schooling or not at least................... your kids will have a great chance of a good well paid job with prospects and a great standard of living after leaving school, which surely is every parents goal.[/quote

BOTH COUNTRIES HAVE THEIR UPS AND DOWNS LETS NOT PUT EACH OTHERS DOWN WE SHOULD ALL BE PROUD WHERE WE ARE FROM AND RESPECT OTHERS THIS TEACHES OUR CHILDREN TO RESPECT. UK IS GREAT AND OZ IS GREAT FROM MY GIRLS TEACHES US LOT A LESSON

I never once mention above that the uk isn't a great place i have it on my signature that it is, this isn't about wether its great or not, its about schooling which leads onto jobs and currently things aren't looking good here in the uk, its a FACT it isn't a dig, we have a fantastic standard of living here in the uk, with great jobs, early retirement, with good pensions, its not about me and the wife, its about our kids futures, i could be selfish and think let them struggle, but being a parent, i am putting my kids first, which will make life alot harder for us, but its tough at times being a parent.

Guest deb31deb
I still wonder how much it really matters how your school performed when you were 16 years old? At age 36, no potential employers care about my GCSE results. There were plenty of people who were brighter than me at school that have gone on to be serial single parents after getting degrees and just as many who were not academic (and would have been considered 'failures' at school) who earn money that I could only dream of... So what if UK schools push your 7 year old harder?

As an educated parent who wants the best for her children it matters alot but obviously your priorities are different to mine if my 6 year old daughter does not continue to do well in her later years then at least i know as a parent i have given her the best oportunities . some people just do not see any fault in theeir country and yes i am sorry to tell you but Australia has its many faults just like any other country including the uk . its becomes stupid when you cant take it us brits do

I'm starting to think that maybe people are just scaremongering because they just want to put a negative on our exciting move!

Dawn,

I don't think I have any answers but thought I'd share our similar situation with you.

We have had these unhelpful schooling comments too - from my mother! She's very annoyed that we're taking her grandchildren so far away and has been coming out with all sorts of cr@p in an attempt to change our minds - which of course is not working and only makes us feel glad to be going to Oz and away from my mothers controlling ways. She even told me the other day that Oz is in deep recession and 'what jobs do you think the children will get when they're older? It'll be worse than the UK for work chances' She doesn't actually have any evidence for her statements, they are just attempts to pull the rug from under our feet.

I'm also concerned for my childrens education when we move to Australia.

My 12.5 yr old eldest daughter attends a girls grammar school here (Yr8) after a high pass mark in her 11+, she's on the gifted & talented list, is loving the work (which is taught at a level two years above their school age) and is top set for everything. It's also a lovely school with a nice family atmosphere. Their school moto is: 'for life not school we learn'.

My son 11 yr old son (Yr6) is also way above his age group expectations - having a reading and Maths age of 14. Although, we moved to Plymouth 18months ago with the Royal Navy and the local primary school he attends is not educationally very good but has a wonderful friendly, supportive atmosphere and he also plays sport almost everyday. They hardly ever get homework and he finds the work in class too easy (and gets bored but thankfully does not mis-behave) - I have told the school on several occasions but the situation never seems to improve. I was going to take him out of this school and move him to an educationally better one but if with us going to Oz next June(2011), I feared it would be detrimental to him in respect of forming new friendships and because of that he wouldn't gain anything educationally within that school year. He will be taking his 11+ too in February and will hopefully go to a boys grammar school if Oz doesn't happen.

My youngest daughter is 3 and goes to a local nursery one day a week - she's loves it and has a great time - and is already showing geek like tendencies! lol So, I'd also like her to get off to the best start at school when the time comes.

From what I gather alot of people send their younger children to state school to start with and then they go to private school from High School age onwards.

We would be going to the Warnbro/Shoal Harbour/Port Kennedy/Secret Harbour, Perth area (we'll decide when we get there and have got a feel for the place).

I've looked alot at the schools around there - school prospectus', online reviews, PIO posters opinions. We've decided that we will most probably be sending our eldest children to a private school, to continue with the standard of education they require.

Saying this though, we will be going to look around all the schools in those areas (state and private) and will decide between us where they want to go. I'm a bit concerned that if the children go to a school that's not on our doorstep, their friends won't be around to play out with - or do we get a rental that's near to the school they'll attend? Or maybe most people that send to private schools don't live near them anyway? In the mean time, I'll still be reading up as much as I can about what's available. It's a toughie.

To some I may come as across as being a stuck up, pushy mum, I'm not - I don't know how my kids ended up so smart and why they love school work so much but I'm pleased and proud of them. It is my responsibility to provide for them and make sure they get the best education I can provide - 'best' being the type of education/environment that suits them individually. And there is the 'thing' - all of our children have different needs and one childs terrible could be the next childs perfect.

Couldn't agree more with what 'The Hoff' says - that it is life experience, job prospects, standard of living that matter more over schooling.

How many people do we know with a University degree that are doing unskilled work just to pay the bills/pay off the student loan because there are no jobs for them (over qualified)??

We're still more than willing to be taking the chance on it. We want to the kids to be better people for this move, have a wider view of the world, be able to embrace different countries and form their own opinions of the world from a well travelled prospective. And we want to all have fun times together!

Good Luck, hope you get some answers to help you.

Liz

As an educated parent who wants the best for her children it matters alot but obviously your priorities are different to mine if my 6 year old daughter does not continue to do well in her later years then at least i know as a parent i have given her the best oportunities . some people just do not see any fault in theeir country and yes i am sorry to tell you but Australia has its many faults just like any other country including the uk . its becomes stupid when you cant take it us brits do

I'm British, with an Australian partner and a dual-citizen toddler son... Where did I say that I wasn't educated? It sounds like I've irked you and that wasn't my intent. I was merely making the point that it the long term it doesn't always seem to matter how you were schooled that was all.

Guest siamsusie
You know I keep reading this debate about Oz education, states schools being rubbish etc - I can`t say whether the education my daughter is getting here is better or worse - she finished primary school just as we moved here, went back to primary for 6 months before starting high school here. What I can comment on is the fact that she is doing very well, getting good grades, has a great group of friends and is very happy at school.

Funny old thing but Australia still seems to have Doctors, Lawyers etc coming out of their education system despite it being "poor, rubbish ...... insert whatever derogatory term here".

:yes: Strange isnt it because both of my step children are a Dr & Chemical Engineer both Aussie educated and both products from rural state schools:idea: something must have gone wrong!:laugh:

Archived