Don't believe the doom mongers :)

Guest chris955

There are plenty of murders, under age pregnancies and other serious crimes going on in Oz but as it is sunny I am able to sleep soundly in my bed at night.

I think what might possibly be the actual difference is in the reporting.... Despite being 'broken' Britain has a sophisticated media structure that thrives on salacious doom mongering, whether the topic be immigrants raping and pillaging our women folk (and demanding an education for their offspring) or the relentless alien conspiracy crap regarding the death of Princess Di (Daily Mail 1997 - 2010/ongoing). Australia only has a smattering of newspapers so they can actually report facts, without much of an agenda, other , of course, than the all encompassing national mantra 'oi oi oi, we are good at sport/keep out the boat people.'

Another thing to consider is maybe people from the UK are more gullible than their Ozzy counterparts. Hence the acceptance for any printed or press to be perceived as fact.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear your feeling a bit down Geoffrey,

here's a nice fluffy picture to cheer you up

cute-animals-1.jpg

Just keep your chin up,not long until you will be back in Australia where there is no such thing as Teachers having under age s3x or bodies washed up on beaches..........

xxxx

I think you have mis read my post Mark. :wubclub:

I'm not saying things like this only happen in the UK,far from it, God forbid even in Australia bad things happen and the problems people face are once again world wide, not restricted to 1 country.

BTW not feeling down, couldn't be happier :jiggy:

That's a bit extreme don't you think. Just because a few (who seem to be the topic of the day for the Tory press to justify the cuts inflicted) abuse the system doesn't mean it should be removed from those who need it. You should think yourself lucky you're born in a country that will look after your if your down on your luck. Besides, why do you think the country doesn't need it? Is it because you don't need it and as far as you're concerned "I'm alright, so f*** everyone else".
yes i am lucky i have never needed it ,and never will , i have always worked and payed my taxes .but why should i work my b off for somebody to sit on the backside all day .

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Another thing to consider is maybe people from the UK are more gullible than their Ozzy counterparts. Hence the acceptance for any printed or press to be perceived as fact.

Or maybe its because its ALL good news in Oz and ALL bad news in the uk, no one in OZ has come up with any bad news yet, so.............. it must be ALL good news.:yes:

yes i am lucky i have never needed it ,and never will , i have always worked and payed my taxes .but why should i work my b off for somebody to sit on the backside all day .

Is that why you go to work? To pay for other peoples benefits? Strange and sinister way of looking at it. Personally I go to work to provide for myself. If I had kids it would be to provide for them. The tax that comes off is incidental. I prefer to focus more on the part of my wages I receive. Can't do much about the government taking it's chunk so I let it be. It's then up to the government how they spend it.

I'm sure if I have kids my perspective will change. No longer will I work to provide for myself but for them. What happens if (and it hasn't happened yet, see you're not alone there) I need to claim benefits if I become sick, injured, another recession bites, or my kids become ill and I need to look after them. Now there's no benefits maybe me and the kids can just starve and revert to cannibalism when the weakest dies. Suppose the cannibalism bit is a nonsense notion, well not half as much as the idea as scrapping benefits for those in need i.e. children, the sick, the unemployed or the disabled.

But if you're alright, why should it bother you?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hey Afro

you seem really stressed and crotchety this morning you haven't been watching all the doom and gloom on sky news have you? lol

Hey Afro

you seem really stressed and crotchety this morning you haven't been watching all the doom and gloom on sky news have you? lol

Moi, stressed, far from it. Just don't like selfish attitudes. A little compassion goes along way. Anyway, no Sky News on a Sunday. Not when Power Rangers is on.

is the no charity's that can help people you are finding it hard ,because this country can not afford it ,that's why we are facing 80 billion plus in cuts

What happens if (and it hasn't happened yet, see you're not alone there) I need to claim benefits if I become sick, injured, another recession bites, or my kids become ill and I need to look after them. Now there's no benefits maybe me and the kids can just starve and

you could always save some money, for a rainy day,mate

is the no charity's that can help people you are finding it hard ,because this country can not afford it ,that's why we are facing 80 billion plus in cuts

Well in that case, can we really afford;

hospitals - I'm not sick, why should I pay for others treatment

prisons - no ones committed a crime against me, why should I pay to lock them up?

schools - I don't have kids why should I pay for someones child's education?

defense - I've no grievances with any other country, why should I pay for the military to invade them?

pensions - I'm not old, why should I pay for someones pension?

Is that why you go to work? To pay for other peoples benefits? Strange and sinister way of looking at it. Personally I go to work to provide for myself. If I had kids it would be to provide for them. The tax that comes off is incidental. I prefer to focus more on the part of my wages I receive. Can't do much about the government taking it's chunk so I let it be. It's then up to the government how they spend it.

I'm sure if I have kids my perspective will change. No longer will I work to provide for myself but for them. What happens if (and it hasn't happened yet, see you're not alone there) I need to claim benefits if I become sick, injured, another recession bites, or my kids become ill and I need to look after them. Now there's no benefits maybe me and the kids can just starve and revert to cannibalism when the weakest dies. Suppose the cannibalism bit is a nonsense notion, well not half as much as the idea as scrapping benefits for those in need i.e. children, the sick, the unemployed or the disabled.

But if you're alright, why should it bother you?

You make a very good point.

Its very easy to make statements like getting rid of benefits and the welfare state and ive made them statements myself through sheer exasperation at the total abuse of it.

But the reality is that there are genuine people who need that support, the sick, the disabled, those who find themselves unemployed or in need through no fault of their own and who desperately want to support themselves again but just need 'short term temporary' assistance and have spent most of their lives paying their taxes. Thats the system I believe in.

Bit Ive worked in benefits for 23 years and seen the career claimers, the abusers and the scavengers who are 100% fit and healthy just suffering from terminal idleitis and it does your head in. Thats the system I do NOT believe in.

Ive seen the fit and athletic pull into a disabled parking spot in their range rover sports, proudly get out the blue badge and then sprint into sainsburys faster than a 4 minute mile and it galls me. Then ive seen a disabled person, struggling to get the wheel chair out the boot and genuinely appreciating that disabled spaces exist and I realise its right that this scheme exists for those that need it just its so abused by people that lie and cheat to get a a badge, they feel proud to have themselves classified as disabled and they are just insulting those who are genuinely disabled.

And thats the route of the problem in my eyes, in the UK there is a sense of pride (by some I hasten to add) that they can get the state to provide for them, there is no shame at all but to tackle the system will hurt those who need it because those who don't just adapt and get round it.

Anyway, my deep thoughts tonight!! I have no intention whatsoever of offending anyone so apologies in advance to any that feel I have.....

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Getting back to what matters, just remember Australia has alot of problems like these.............

Dead kangaroos all over the highway. you have to stay in your houses, forever and ever.

redbacks, hunstmen, snakes, Don't go near the bush. Instant painful death.

No Gravy, mushy peas or curry sauce for my fish and chips... how dry !! I can't live in such a heathen country.

Huge Fat people crowded round Doughnut king ( sorry but they are gross ) Think twice folks, if they fall on you, you could die.

The harsh sun, Gordon bennet, never knew this, stay in doors.

The arrogant Aussie Aussie Aussie oy oy oy attitude, Will have to not mix with ALL Aussies, isolate yourselfs if you go.

The cacophony of the dawn "chorus" Bring your earplugs from the uk, they don't sell em in OZ.

Kangaroos in the middle of the highway at night, Stay indoors again especially at night, killer kangaroos all over.

The Kath and Kim sense of humour. ???????? A sense of humour, its not certain any Ozzies have one, BEWARE.

The current government, Aparrently a woman PM in charge for a few months is 10 times worse than our government almost bankrupting us and costing us thousands of pounds each, its worse cos shes a woman.lol

Tall poppy syndrome, it truly does exist here. This means ALL Aussies are big headed and hate us poms.

mullet hair do's. If this doesn't scare you off going to Australia, nothing will scare you.

the long pointy beard and bald head look! Apparently ALL Aussies are like this, even the women and kids.

VB (gives you a real dirty hangover) You have to buy this beer and drink it, its the LAW.

Aussie white wine (bleurgh) Drinking cheap nice wine is illegal, they sell it, but us poms are only allowed to buy the rubbish stuff.

Plastic furniture in almost every restaurant. This is a worry, you can get Plasticeamia from plastic furniture, second highest killer in OZ after shark attacks in your pool.

The fact you can't get pints in most pubs. This is really serious, how will we survive without pint glasses, bring your own from the uk.

I certainly wont miss the blinkered Brits that move to Australia that are unable to see the wood for the trees. Apparently if you dare to go out when you emigrate, the trees and woods are that thick, that you have to take your blinkers off, which results in instant death, so be warned, KEEP YOUR BLINKERS ON. lol

These are true genuine gripes from Australia, they are not made up, please go to my blog page and look up the blog -

ireadthesebeauties-and-peedmyself.com

Well in that case, can we really afford;

hospitals - I'm not sick, why should I pay for others treatment

prisons - no ones committed a crime against me, why should I pay to lock them up?

schools - I don't have kids why should I pay for someones child's education?

defense - I've no grievances with any other country, why should I pay for the military to invade them?

pensions - I'm not old, why should I pay for someones pension?

not really mate that's why they are all facing huge cuts.i dont mind paying for services that are needed

I know some would have everyone believe that it is all doom and gloom in the UK but thankfully most are sensible enough to see threw the nonsense. This was some great news for the Midlands especially and they are even getting a pay RISE. :laugh:

BBC News - Jaguar Land Rover to retain three UK factories

Creating 1500 jobs is excellent news for those in the automotive sector and it will no doubt have additional positive effects for local suppliers too.

Wednesday will be the day for the doom mongers I fear.

not really mate that's why they are all facing huge cuts.i dont mind paying for services that are needed

Mate, we are facing huge cuts in the UK because rich bankers worldwide took huge risks with other people's money. Not because of the welfare system.

God forbid you ever have an accident, suddenly lose your job or house or whatever and need the support of the state.

I have no problem paying taxes to provide welfare. Of course, no one likes bludgers, but there are plenty on welfare who would rather not be and are doing their best to get off it. Don't be so narrow minded.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think shark has a relevant point in mentioning benefits, it is a huge area of wasted public money, not all of it and even shark doesn't think this, there are genuine cases on benefits, but surely the day has come where people on benefits who are fit and able, put something back into society and are made to earn their benefits, such as cleaning up their communities or helping old people, instead of being allowed to stay in bed until dinner and not have to graft like the rest of society, the long term shirkers who never have any intention to work. Everything is being squeezed currently in the almost bankrupt £1 trillion pounds in debt uk, surely we all think this is an area that needs a bit of squeezing, yes/no?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Creating 1500 jobs is excellent news for those in the automotive sector and it will no doubt have additional positive effects for local suppliers too.

Wednesday will be the day for the doom mongers I fear.

What............... have i missed some good news from the uk.............. at LAST SOME GOOD NEWS:nah:

Getting back to what matters, just remember Australia has alot of problems like these.............

Dead kangaroos all over the highway. you have to stay in your houses, forever and ever.

redbacks, hunstmen, snakes, Don't go near the bush. Instant painful death.

No Gravy, mushy peas or curry sauce for my fish and chips... how dry !! I can't live in such a heathen country.

Huge Fat people crowded round Doughnut king ( sorry but they are gross ) Think twice folks, if they fall on you, you could die.

The harsh sun, Gordon bennet, never knew this, stay in doors.

The arrogant Aussie Aussie Aussie oy oy oy attitude, Will have to not mix with ALL Aussies, isolate yourselfs if you go.

The cacophony of the dawn "chorus" Bring your earplugs from the uk, they don't sell em in OZ.

Kangaroos in the middle of the highway at night, Stay indoors again especially at night, killer kangaroos all over.

The Kath and Kim sense of humour. ???????? A sense of humour, its not certain any Ozzies have one, BEWARE.

The current government, Aparrently a woman PM in charge for a few months is 10 times worse than our government almost bankrupting us and costing us thousands of pounds each, its worse cos shes a woman.lol

Tall poppy syndrome, it truly does exist here. This means ALL Aussies are big headed and hate us poms.

mullet hair do's. If this doesn't scare you off going to Australia, nothing will scare you.

the long pointy beard and bald head look! Apparently ALL Aussies are like this, even the women and kids.

VB (gives you a real dirty hangover) You have to buy this beer and drink it, its the LAW.

Aussie white wine (bleurgh) Drinking cheap nice wine is illegal, they sell it, but us poms are only allowed to buy the rubbish stuff.

Plastic furniture in almost every restaurant. This is a worry, you can get Plasticeamia from plastic furniture, second highest killer in OZ after shark attacks in your pool.

The fact you can't get pints in most pubs. This is really serious, how will we survive without pint glasses, bring your own from the uk.

I certainly wont miss the blinkered Brits that move to Australia that are unable to see the wood for the trees. Apparently if you dare to go out when you emigrate, the trees and woods are that thick, that you have to take your blinkers off, which results in instant death, so be warned, KEEP YOUR BLINKERS ON. lol

These are true genuine gripes from Australia, they are not made up, please go to my blog page and look up the blog -

ireadthesebeauties-and-peedmyself.com

Well Im signing off for the night in a good mood and having a good old laugh

to myself after reading this hilarious post!!

Thank you The Ropey Hoff for cheering me up and have a lovely Sunday!!

Mate, we are facing huge cuts in the UK because rich bankers worldwide took huge risks with other people's money. Not because of the welfare system.

God forbid you ever have an accident, suddenly lose your job or house or whatever and need the support of the state.

I have no problem paying taxes to provide welfare. Of course, no one likes bludgers, but there are plenty on welfare who would rather not be and are doing their best to get off it. Don't be so narrow minded.

did the last government not take risks aswell by spending spending until we were in huge debt, and now we are all going to suffer with cuts to public services, etc.agree the should be help for people you have lost the jobs etc ,and want to work again , but all i see around me is people on benefits ,you are just taking the p7ss and dont want to work . would the money we spend on benefits,better used to created work etc ,instead off keeping these people at home doing nothing

did the last government not take risks aswell by spending spending until we were in huge debt, and now we are all going to suffer with cuts to public services, etc.agree the should be help for people you have lost the jobs etc ,and want to work again , but all i see around me is people on benefits ,you are just taking the p7ss and dont want to work . would the money we spend on benefits,better used to created work etc ,instead off keeping these people at home doing nothing

Anyway Shark. Didn't you read the title of the thread? It says "Don't believe the doom mongers". Now given you're effectively doom mongering - should we believe or listen to you? I suppose the irony will be lost on you somewhere.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Its not all doom and gloom ........................ the x factors on tonight.............. i think i love Simon Cowell.

Archived