Don't believe the doom mongers :)

Guest chris955

Great post !

We have been here 4 months now and its not until you leave the UK that you realise its not such a bad place after all.... the problem with Oz is they are so self absorbed...they dont care whats happening across the world as it doesnt concern them ! (said from an Ozzy mouth).

The graffitti here is unreal im amazed at how widespread it is much worse than the UK !!

Only down the road here there was an "invasion" this is where the thugs run into a house with the owners inside and rob them !!! Yeh living the dream man !!!

So with this and much more i am off back home....

Lucky you!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest32776
Excellent post Spenny, I agree with most of the things you said, especially the driving. It's shocking sometimes!

The driving is indeed shocking - statisically you are almost twice as likely to die in a road fatality in Australia as you are in the UK. Wikipedia reports that there were 6.8 road deaths per 1000 in Oz last year compared to 3.59 in the UK. To be fair, you hardly ever go through a weekend without the news reporting multiple teenage deaths somewhere in the state - mainly due to speed, booze and hooning - which seems to be a national pastime.

You are also slightly more likely to get murdered in Oz. I checked this out after meeting 3 people who have had relatives murdered (at some point in time) during the period I have been here - almost 3 years but I don't get out much so this is quite high! May be a Townsville thing but all 3 took place there! Oz is 43rd in the global murder stats compared to 46th for the UK.

(Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster)

Guest guest36187
Great post !

We have been here 4 months now and its not until you leave the UK that you realise its not such a bad place after all.... the problem with Oz is they are so self absorbed...they dont care whats happening across the world as it doesnt concern them ! (said from an Ozzy mouth).

The graffitti here is unreal im amazed at how widespread it is much worse than the UK !!

Only down the road here there was an "invasion" this is where the thugs run into a house with the owners inside and rob them !!! Yeh living the dream man !!!

So with this and much more i am off back home....

NIcandJay

Can I ask where in Oz you are?

Guest guest36187
This is exactly what I have spoken about in other threads, it's amazing how many people don't actually see what is going on around them or ignore it. I read on here someone say they had seen very little graffiti and what there was got removed within a day or so :elvis: That is not to say there isn't graffiti in the UK or anywhere else but to pretend it doesn't exist is strange indeed.

I do agree about the self absorbed thing, I have Aussie friends who admit that you would believe there is no rest of the world.

Of course this will be seen as anti Australian but in fact it's just being realistic.

Chris955, Its not that some people DONT see it or IGNORE It??? In some places it doesnt happen as frequently as in others.

Guest guest30038
Chris955, Its not that some people DONT see it or IGNORE It??? In some places it doesnt happen as frequently as in others.

Brick wall comes to mind Joanne.............with or without graffiti :wink: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest36187

I have been to Melbourne, Perth, Cairns , Sydney and Brissie. They are ALL DIFFERENT!!! Australia can not be banded with the generic comments that are given on here.

Graffiti is not an issue where I live in Brisbane BUT when I went to MElbourne I saw graffitti across some of the nicest pieces of architecture!

There are tons of differences.

Guest Guest31881

You are also slightly more likely to get murdered in Oz. I checked this out after meeting 3 people who have had relatives murdered (at some point in time) during the period I have been here - almost 3 years but I don't get out much so this is quite high! May be a Townsville thing but all 3 took place there! Oz is 43rd in the global murder stats compared to 46th for the UK.

(Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster)

# 43 Australia: 0.0150324 per 1,000 people

# 46 United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

On those figures you are a whole 0.0009691 per 1000 people more likely to be murdered in Australia

Not really a great difference is it. Like everywhere it will depend where you live what your chances of being affected by crime will be. Personally here in Australia I have not witnessed any crime myself, I see plenty reported in the news.

Due to my job in the UK I saw violent crime on a regular basis including murder and mutilation. I would imagine the incidence of crime in the big cities here is similar to the UK. I can only speak from my own experiences and I do feel a lot safer here.

Guest chris955

Absolutely spot on, I completely agree, these sweeping generalizations are wrong.

[/b][/b]

I have been to Melbourne, Perth, Cairns , Sydney and Brissie. They are ALL DIFFERENT!!! Australia can not be banded with the generic comments that are given on here.

There are tons of differences.

We all have our likes and dislikes. Personally I thought Perth was a living death. Superficially very beautiful but no soul. Hey, that's me though and I have met people who have chosen to leave Melbourne and go and live there ( have to say more the other way round to be truthful). I think the graffiti level is fairly high in Australia as a whole but it tends to be in city areas and certain suburbs. We have very little where we live but it is a residential area and not too many empty walls. As for snakes and beasties I think they are not worth even thinking about because unless you live in the bush you are not likely to see them and if you do they are scared anyway.

In the UK what I found was a sense of claustrophobia which I am sure is because the areas I visited are predominently urban. I just know there are some lovely rural towns and countryside not overrun by cars and people there because I have seen pictures on calendars!!

Guest guest32776
# 43 Australia: 0.0150324 per 1,000 people

# 46 United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

On those figures you are a whole 0.0009691 per 1000 people more likely to be murdered in Australia

Not really a great difference is it. Like everywhere it will depend where you live what your chances of being affected by crime will be. Personally here in Australia I have not witnessed any crime myself, I see plenty reported in the news.

Due to my job in the UK I saw violent crime on a regular basis including murder and mutilation. I would imagine the incidence of crime in the big cities here is similar to the UK. I can only speak from my own experiences and I do feel a lot safer here.

That's why I said 'slightly' - I , like many others I imagine, thought the murder rate here would be much lower. The car death statistic is shocking though - I think as in the UK the insurance is punitive for youngsters to buy a car with a whopping V8 engine where as here it doesn't matter how powerful the car is. If I was prime minister I would address that!

I imagine I am much safer in Cairns than I was in Islington - had a basement flat and got burgled probably once a month until I got bars fitted (illegally I add, as it is a grade 2 listed property). The only burglary I have had here is a shoe when camping... and that was either the German in the tent opposite or a brush turkey.

Guest siamsusie

All I know is that I feel safer in my part of Tasmania, but then I am not in the city.

Leave my doors open 24/7

Honesty boxes for goods prevail here

if I forget my purse i.e. for gas, "no worries, you'll be back Susie"

Cant ask for a better lifestyle myself !

Guest guest30038
Th The only burglary I have had here is a shoe when camping... and that was either the German in the tent opposite or a brush turkey.

Most likely the turkey..............a German would have taken your camping chair :biglaugh:

kev

Guest siamsusie
Most likely the turkey..............a German would have taken your camping chair :biglaugh:

kev

and towel bless them. Oh how I loath generalisations:biggrin:

Guest guest32776
All I know is that I feel safer in my part of Tasmania, but then I am not in the city.

Leave my doors open 24/7

Honesty boxes for goods prevail here

if I forget my purse i.e. for gas, "no worries, you'll be back Susie"

Cant ask for a better lifestyle myself !

What is your exact address please Susie? :biglaugh:

Guest chris955

:laugh:What a can of worms that opened. Apparently you can say the UK is a ****hole but dont diss Perth.

We all have our likes and dislikes. Personally I thought Perth was a living death.

I know some would have everyone believe that it is all doom and gloom in the UK but thankfully most are sensible enough to see threw the nonsense. This was some great news for the Midlands especially and they are even getting a pay RISE. :laugh:

BBC News - Jaguar Land Rover to retain three UK factories

OK - back to the OP. Anymore good stories this week?

Guest chris955

Yes there are loads of good stories but I would hate to upset people :wink:

OK - back to the OP. Anymore good stories this week?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The news coming from europe, Greece is a disaster zone financially and is being propped up by the eurozone. Spain is on its knees financially also and apparently theres 20% unemployed and Portugals finances are in the dustbin and they are not far behind greece. Ireland is in free fall house prices have slumped about 30% and loads of poor folk are in negative equity, so....................... its not ALL doom and gloom from the uk, we are definately doing better than all these countries.

There must be some bargains to be had out there at the mo tho aldo?opportunity knocks etc?

Or is what im led to believe about spain having a hard time not true/exaggerated?

Its very regional here, for example there are thousand of holiday appartment built in the boom that are unsold, so you could pick up a top end 3 bed apt with very high spec finishings for well under 200,000 but they are in the unestablished areas. The bloke i do a lot of work for is a multi millionare and very "cash" rich and is buying like a mad man.

Spain in general is having it tough but here but here the economy is based (mainly) on tourism and that is picking up and I've noticed a few more coaches in the hotel down the road from me.

Problem is with the Spanish is they are extremly stuburn and when they have a restaurant only 20% full they think that the solution is to increase prices 80% to make it up:wacko:. They are slowly understanding that they need to lower the prices to get bums on seats.

Interesting article.

“noticed people are buying at the cheaper end of the market.”

as you would. Lucky we don't rely on journalism for insight...

I think you misunderstood, I took that to mean they are selling more apartments (150,000 - 300,000) than top end villas (500,000 upwards) although I believe it to be the opposite.

Of course people try to buy at the cheapest price but I don't think thats the point they are trying to make.

Archived