Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
Hi All,

About all above..what would be another way to import a car if you do not own it for 12 months before departure? I would be interested to bring a 2008 Audi A8, and would need to knwo the differences versus the PIO scheme.

Thank to any of you for advices,

AN

If you do not meet the criteria for the Personal Import Scheme then there would be no other scheme which would allow the import of an Audi A8 into Australia at all unfortunately. If you will be close to meeting the criteria for the Personal Import Scheme then please let us know where you come up short so we can advise on the options.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

I bought a new Volvo XC60 car last December, expecting to be in the UK for a few years. Unexpectedly my Mother died in January and we were clear to go to Australia. I emailed the Dept of Transport and they advised me to apply for the permit and write a letter to the Administrator explaining the reasons. I did this in June. I found them helpful and courteous and they granted a permit to take the car when it was only 8 months old. I also confirmed that I had no intention of selling it upon arrival and showed that I had owned my previous Volvo for 5 years. The plan was to ship in early November. As it happens we have delayed shipping but it will still be under 12 months old when it leaves the UK on Monday.

Guest Guest67761
I bought a new Volvo XC60 car last December, expecting to be in the UK for a few years. Unexpectedly my Mother died in January and we were clear to go to Australia. I emailed the Dept of Transport and they advised me to apply for the permit and write a letter to the Administrator explaining the reasons. I did this in June. I found them helpful and courteous and they granted a permit to take the car when it was only 8 months old. I also confirmed that I had no intention of selling it upon arrival and showed that I had owned my previous Volvo for 5 years. The plan was to ship in early November. As it happens we have delayed shipping but it will still be under 12 months old when it leaves the UK on Monday.

Of course if you have exceedingly good reason for needing to leave with the car sooner then it can be considered by the Administrator however it's very rare for them to grant approvals early so I must still stress that you would normally have to own the vehicle for very close to 12 months, however if you do have special circumstances then please let us know and we will discuss it with the DIT and advise on the best course of action.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest niculand
If you do not meet the criteria for the Personal Import Scheme then there would be no other scheme which would allow the import of an Audi A8 into Australia at all unfortunately. If you will be close to meeting the criteria for the Personal Import Scheme then please let us know where you come up short so we can advise on the options.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Thank you Craig,

Clear case, but I drop you a new one. I have an Audi A6 that my wife owns for a couple of years, but since she's not living in UK, the car has the stiring wheel on the left side. Do you think that in case we could find a solution to switch it to the right side, we may get an acceptance??

Thanks again and sorry for the stress:ssign14:,

Andrei

A quick reminder, if anyone has any questions about transporting your Car to Australia, then Kristian (Iron Chef) from IronLadyImports is available in our webchat until 10pm

To participate, click on the 'chat' menu option at the top of the page. Clicking on chat will launch the chat software. There will different 'rooms' for each of the different companies.

Unregistered guests can participate by following this link - Chat with Industry Experts, then, once the chat software has loaded, tick the 'Guest' option at the top of the chat window, then choose a username and click 'Login' and enter the 'IronLady Imports' chat room.

Guest Guest67761
Thank you Craig,

Clear case, but I drop you a new one. I have an Audi A6 that my wife owns for a couple of years, but since she's not living in UK, the car has the stiring wheel on the left side. Do you think that in case we could find a solution to switch it to the right side, we may get an acceptance??

Thanks again and sorry for the stress:ssign14:,

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Normally an Audi A6 would be an excellent car to bring with you, and being left hand drive will not be any problem as far as getting Australian import approval, however it will not be possible to register it for road use in Australia as left hand drive and could cost a huge amount to have converted to right hand drive. I would suggest that you find out the conversion cost first otherwise just sell the car before moving to Australia because there would be a lot of hassle, time and money involved.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest niculand
Hi Andrei,

Normally an Audi A6 would be an excellent car to bring with you, and being left hand drive will not be any problem as far as getting Australian import approval, however it will not be possible to register it for road use in Australia as left hand drive and could cost a huge amount to have converted to right hand drive. I would suggest that you find out the conversion cost first otherwise just sell the car before moving to Australia because there would be a lot of hassle, time and money involved.

Hi Craig,

Meanwhile, I did some research and I found a service company that could do the conversion for 2 KEur. The conversion should be done in Romania, my origin country, where the car is. The cost is so low as a consequence of the fact that there are companies that convert the right wheel cars bought from UK to left wheel that alow driving in Romania, so the parts are very cheap for the vice-versa conversion. Now the question would be if any special authorisation is needed for the conversion in order to avoid issues with the authorities in Oz?

As a last problem, for the last 2 years the car has been the property of my wife's company, where she is the sole owner and administrator. Do you think that this would be accepted?

Thank you and sorry for the thousand questions I raise.

Andrei

After recently making the decision to make the BIG move I have spent weeks reading different information on importing cars from the uk, however if i'm honest I feel more confused now than before. I would appreciate help if possible. We would like to import posssibly 2 cars and 1 motor bike firstly would this be allowed and is there any web sites where it's possible to get a toatal figure for each car? Any advise before I go mad!

Guest Guest67761
After recently making the decision to make the BIG move I have spent weeks reading different information on importing cars from the uk, however if i'm honest I feel more confused now than before. I would appreciate help if possible. We would like to import posssibly 2 cars and 1 motor bike firstly would this be allowed and is there any web sites where it's possible to get a toatal figure for each car? Any advise before I go mad!

As long as the vehicles have been owned and used by you for at least 12 months before you make the move then you should get approval to bring one vehicle per person who was legally allowed to drive that vehicle during that time (held correct licence, insurance, etc). If you are wanting to bring more than one vehicle for one person then you would need to have an exceedingly good reason for it to be considered. If any of the vehicles are built in 1988 or older then they would be allowed separately without counting towards the one car per person.

You can get a complete cost breakdown by filling in the Cost Estimate request form for each car on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com and we will be happy to get back to you with the likely costs.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig,

Meanwhile, I did some research and I found a service company that could do the conversion for 2 KEur. The conversion should be done in Romania, my origin country, where the car is. The cost is so low as a consequence of the fact that there are companies that convert the right wheel cars bought from UK to left wheel that alow driving in Romania, so the parts are very cheap for the vice-versa conversion. Now the question would be if any special authorisation is needed for the conversion in order to avoid issues with the authorities in Oz?

As a last problem, for the last 2 years the car has been the property of my wife's company, where she is the sole owner and administrator. Do you think that this would be accepted?

Thank you and sorry for the thousand questions I raise.

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

As long as the conversion was done to a high standard then it should not cause any problems here in Australia. The fact that the car was converted from left to right will make no difference with actually getting approval to import the car, but it will be something considered when the car is examined before being road registered, so just make sure it's good quality work and you should have no major problems. If you want to be really safe then you could keep details of the conversion and photos in case there is some problem.

You would need proof the your wife was the sole owner of the company then it would be possible to get the import approval for Australia.

Let us know if you wanted our help with this car and we will be happy to advise further and assist with the process.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest HarveyM

Given there are 102 pages on this I hope no one takes offence to me asking something that could be buried deep in this post.

I'm looking at buy an off-road motorbike in the US. It is a 1971 model solely used for off-road...ie no blinkers, headlight, speedo, registration plate holder etc.

I'm extremely confused as to what I need to do here, I've read on http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/orneao.aspx that I do not need a VIA but then other places state I do:

"The Department acknowledges that the importation of off-road vehicles is not prohibited by the legislation and as such, a Vehicle Import Approval is not required."

I also believe as its pre '89 it can be imported on the pre 1989 scheme?

My outstanding questions are:

1. Do I still need to have owned an off-road vehicle that is not intended for road use for 12 months?'

2. Do I need to provide any kind of vehicle documentation (in the uk this would be a V5 log book) obviously being an off road vehicle its not going to have one, but the seller has informed me he recalls it had been an issue for someone he sold to previously.

3. I assume I will be applying for import via an I02 form (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/files/IO2_General_Application_for_Approval_to_Import_a_Vehicle_4Sept2012.pdf) The top of this PDF document contradicts what I mentioned above about needed a VIA?

4. If its value is over $1000 I assume I will pay GST being pre 89 no Duties, then of course all the other costs attributed with importing.

5. Are there any restrictions I should be aware of, paperwork I will need to provide?

Finally can anyone recommend a good broker who can take care of this end to end that you have used previously (the bike is located in Tacoma, Washington)

Many thanks all.

Guest Guest67761
Given there are 102 pages on this I hope no one takes offence to me asking something that could be buried deep in this post.

I'm looking at buy an off-road motorbike in the US. It is a 1971 model solely used for off-road...ie no blinkers, headlight, speedo, registration plate holder etc.

I'm extremely confused as to what I need to do here, I've read on http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/orneao.aspx that I do not need a VIA but then other places state I do:

"The Department acknowledges that the importation of off-road vehicles is not prohibited by the legislation and as such, a Vehicle Import Approval is not required."

I also believe as its pre '89 it can be imported on the pre 1989 scheme?

My outstanding questions are:

1. Do I still need to have owned an off-road vehicle that is not intended for road use for 12 months?'

2. Do I need to provide any kind of vehicle documentation (in the uk this would be a V5 log book) obviously being an off road vehicle its not going to have one, but the seller has informed me he recalls it had been an issue for someone he sold to previously.

3. I assume I will be applying for import via an I02 form (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/files/IO2_General_Application_for_Approval_to_Import_a_Vehicle_4Sept2012.pdf) The top of this PDF document contradicts what I mentioned above about needed a VIA?

4. If its value is over $1000 I assume I will pay GST being pre 89 no Duties, then of course all the other costs attributed with importing.

5. Are there any restrictions I should be aware of, paperwork I will need to provide?

Finally can anyone recommend a good broker who can take care of this end to end that you have used previously (the bike is located in Tacoma, Washington)

Many thanks all.

Being built in 1988 or earlier it will actually come under the Pre-1989 Scheme which does not require you to have owned or used the vehicle prior to import as with the Personal Import Scheme. The Pre-1989 Scheme is usually for road vehicles only however if the bike 'could' be used on the road then you probably should apply for an import approval for it first assuming it has a VIN/chassis/frame number somewhere. The import approval application for a Pre-1989 vehicle is quite simple and only costs AUD$50 so it's worth getting if there is any doubt and/or the vehicle could be possibly road registered one day.

Import duty will not be payable on this vehicle because it's a bike and over 30 years of age which both make it exempt. The vehicle value makes no difference and will not get you an exemption from import duty or GST, this 'under $1,000' exemption is only for general goods posted to Australia so motor vehicles are a different issue. GST will be the normal 10% as with all vehicles. Customs clearance will be required along with the normal Quarantine inspections, etc. too.

I hope this helps. If you needed our assistance with the import approval process, shipping to Australia, Customs clearance and/or anything else then please let us know.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest HarveyM
Being built in 1988 or earlier it will actually come under the Pre-1989 Scheme which does not require you to have owned or used the vehicle prior to import as with the Personal Import Scheme. The Pre-1989 Scheme is usually for road vehicles only however if the bike 'could' be used on the road then you probably should apply for an import approval for it first assuming it has a VIN/chassis/frame number somewhere. The import approval application for a Pre-1989 vehicle is quite simple and only costs AUD$50 so it's worth getting if there is any doubt and/or the vehicle could be possibly road registered one day.

Import duty will not be payable on this vehicle because it's a bike and over 30 years of age which both make it exempt. The vehicle value makes no difference and will not get you an exemption from import duty or GST, this 'under $1,000' exemption is only for general goods posted to Australia so motor vehicles are a different issue. GST will be the normal 10% as with all vehicles. Customs clearance will be required along with the normal Quarantine inspections, etc. too.

I hope this helps. If you needed our assistance with the import approval process, shipping to Australia, Customs clearance and/or anything else then please let us know.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Craig thanks for the update, the bike definitely wont be used for road use at all, its purely an off road vehicle.

This is where the documents contradict, this one: 'General Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle' states fill in parts 1,2,3,4 (older than 1989 go to part 15)

However, this one 'http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/orneao.aspx' states:

• A completed IO2—general application form. This must include the make, model, year and vehicle identification number (VIN) of your vehicle—please make sure you tick the box at Part 10 relating to “off-road” vehicles. This makes me wonder if I have to still fill in other parts even though the form doesn't say to do so?

• A $50 application fee. Payment options are set out in the application form.

• Picture ID of the importer or of the responsible officer if a company is applying. (Please note that if you have not imported in the last 12 months you will need to provide your ID again.)

• Purchase document for the vehicle (invoice or receipt).

• Evidence that the equipment meets the specific category requirements listed above, as applicable. This is generally provided in the manufacturer’s specifications (often in a brochure format) along with photographic evidence.

Are you able to cover this import from Tacoma, Washington? If so, I'll fill in your form for a quote.

Guest Guest67761
Just filled in the form but it errored.

It doesn't like the mileage listed as zero but I got your request anyway. Give me a little while to research the bike and work out the likely valuation for Australian Customs so I can calculate the total cost to get this into Australia for you.

Regarding import approval application, you should apply if the bike could be used on the road, for example if it has lights and number plate mounting points and a VIN/chassis/frame number, otherwise if it was built purely as an off-road bike and can't be road registered then you may not need an import approval. It's best to have an import approval if possible as it makes the import process just a little easier than trying to explain and/or prove that it doesn't require one at every stage, and it only costs AUD$50, plus it means that you could get it road registered at some later stage if you ever wanted to do so.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hello,

My partner and I have started our application for a 190 visa and I would like to bringing my car with me.

I expect this has been asked before, but:

I have just been given the option to buy my company 2003reg Land Rover Defender, which I have been driving for 3 years, and was hoping to be able to bring it with me when i migrate. My question is, if i get my visa granted before I have owned her for 12 months, will i be able to leave her behind; still taxed, MOT'd, insured and registered to me, and then bring it over once the time has elapsed?

Greg

Guest Guest67761
Hello,

My partner and I have started our application for a 190 visa and I would like to bringing my car with me.

I expect this has been asked before, but:

I have just been given the option to buy my company 2003reg Land Rover Defender, which I have been driving for 3 years, and was hoping to be able to bring it with me when i migrate. My question is, if i get my visa granted before I have owned her for 12 months, will i be able to leave her behind; still taxed, MOT'd, insured and registered to me, and then bring it over once the time has elapsed?

Greg

Hi Greg,

It should be no trouble as long as you have been using this vehicle for at least the past 12 months either privately or as a business vehicle. If during part of the qualifying 12 months it was owned by and/or registered to your company then you will need to provide a letter from them to state that this vehicle was for your exclusive use during this time. Once you move to Australia the qualifying ownership period ends, so you need to make sure you meet the criteria before you move, whit sounds like you should do as long as you can get something in writing from the company.

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you need any more information or clarification at all.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

@ Iron Chef - What's the possiblity to ship my motorbike over to oz from Belgium?

Well it can be done, if that's what you mean - I've got a car coming here leaving from Zeebrugge at the moment, but motorbikes into containers may be slightly different in terms of where they're loaded and where they go via. Email if you want us to chase up prices for you.

Well it can be done, if that's what you mean - I've got a car coming here leaving from Zeebrugge at the moment, but motorbikes into containers may be slightly different in terms of where they're loaded and where they go via. Email if you want us to chase up prices for you.

don't need prices at the moment, but We would be send our furniture over and thought about putting the motorbike in the container... Will get in touch when it gets closer, 2015 :wink:

Guest shaunoss

Hi, this question has probably been asked/ answered before, but this thread is now 103 pages long! Sorry dont have time to read through it all.

On the 26th October this year, I bought a 2003 BMW M3 Convertible to bring with me to Perth when we emigrate around May to July 2013. It could be said that after nearly 2 months of ownership of this toy, that i have become rather "bonded" with it. I really dont want to let it go. I wasnt aware of the 12 month ownership rule, or i would have kept the last car.

I have been reading a lot of material on various web-sites over the last few days about importing cars to Oz. Somewhere, and I cant find it again, I've read that if the vehicle is over 15 years old, the 1 year ownership rule doesn't apply. If this was fact, theoretically, i could keep the M3 until April and sell it in the UK, and buy a 1997 Aston Martin DB7 ( both cars are of similar value , and ship it as soon as the IVA had arrived from Canberra.

Is this true, or was i dreaming/hallucinating when i read that?

Guest Guest67761
Hi, this question has probably been asked/ answered before, but this thread is now 103 pages long! Sorry dont have time to read through it all.

On the 26th October this year, I bought a 2003 BMW M3 Convertible to bring with me to Perth when we emigrate around May to July 2013. It could be said that after nearly 2 months of ownership of this toy, that i have become rather "bonded" with it. I really dont want to let it go. I wasnt aware of the 12 month ownership rule, or i would have kept the last car.

I have been reading a lot of material on various web-sites over the last few days about importing cars to Oz. Somewhere, and I cant find it again, I've read that if the vehicle is over 15 years old, the 1 year ownership rule doesn't apply. If this was fact, theoretically, i could keep the M3 until April and sell it in the UK, and buy a 1997 Aston Martin DB7 ( both cars are of similar value , and ship it as soon as the IVA had arrived from Canberra.

Is this true, or was i dreaming/hallucinating when i read that?

It was true but unfortunately the "15 year old rule" was replaced quite a few years ago with a "Pre-1989 Scheme" so now this exemption only applies to vehicles built in 1988 or earlier. The only way you will import either this M3 or that Aston Martin will be if you have owned and used it yourself in the UK before moving to live in Australia.

Sorry for the bad news!

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports