Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Craig,

I hope you can help me with this one. My car's spedometer dial is in miles/hour but also shows km/h digitally on the screen. I spoke to VW with the hope they could change it, but they said they are not allowed to do this. Will the regulations accept the digital speedometer?

Guest Guest67761
Craig,

I hope you can help me with this one. My car's spedometer dial is in miles/hour but also shows km/h digitally on the screen. I spoke to VW with the hope they could change it, but they said they are not allowed to do this. Will the regulations accept the digital speedometer?

The requirements here in Australia are not 100% clear therefore there is some room for interpretation on behalf of the person/workshop taking care of the ADR compliance and/or roadworthy requirements. It will also vary a little between states and depend to a certain degree on just how obvious the km/h reading is compared to the mph.

You have a few options. The first of course would be to talk with a different VW dealer or service center who will do the required work for you, either there before you leave or once you get to Australia. The second option would be to send photos of the speedo cluster showing the details clearly and let us know where you are moving to in Australia so we can check the requirements and opinions of the workshop who would be working on your car here. And the third option would be to just replace the speedo with an Australian unit once the car gets here. I have a good friend who repairs and sells parts for VW's so chances are that we could swap it fairly easily.

All good solutions and none of them should be all that hard for us to arrange on your behalf.

What is the car exactly, where are you moving to in Australia, and when are you planning on making the move exactly?

Cheers,

Craig.

I know it's pretty random as to whether you get charged for disinfecting/cleaning a car but I got my car through AQIS without being billed for a 'cleaning job'. Just thought I'd share where and how I cleaned.

Basically, I cleaned the inside to within a inch of its life, all carpets hoovered, seats hoovered, panels wiped down,etc; not a hair or spec of dirt anywhere in sight especially around the pedals; also replaced the floor mats. (maybe overkill on the interior, but hey, the car is like new inside and that's where I sit when using it!) Also double check for any dead bugs hiding at the bottom of the windscreen/rear window - even the sight of one will get you marked for cleaning.

Outside, standard wash job on the exterior. Then I focussed on areas of the entry/exit cavities ... the areas between the seen exterior and interior, like door sills, pillars, boot sills, engine sills ... got all the dirt out of there. Next the windscreen drainage points, always leaves in this area; cleaned and scrubbed. Then finally got the handy home jetwash out and gave a good blast to the radiator, any frontal areas likely to collect bugs, the engine, and a wild 10 minute random spraying underneath to try and dislodge any dirt or muck which had collected. Finally, jetwashed the wheel arches till the water ran clean (took ages as mine were felt sound dampers), and then liberally sprayed jeyes in them.

Can't say it's a recipe for success, but it worked for me and basically only cost me a few hours effort. I wasn't about to pay a professional carwash/vallet service - I know a few get a professional valet and think it's good enough, but I doubt any valet services go to quite the effort I went to in seeking out and removing dirt from the small unseen cavities in which it can collect. I figured a good home clean which cost effectively nothing was better than paying a UK company, considering I had a 90% chance of having to pay again at AQIS.

Good luck all those still trying to get through AQIS charge free.

Cheers

P

Edited by PeteD
because I can :P ...

Guest Willie33

Hi Craig.. this is a fantastic thread full of useful info, thanks.

I just recently secured my visa (175) and am planning to head to Oz in about 2 months time. I have a relatively new car and am undecided as to whether it is worth shipping out. The cheapest quote I got for shiopping was EUR 1,950 (I'm in Dublin). Wondering if you could advise, details below.

- year of manufacture.... 2010

- make, model & variant.... Mazda 6 Sport 5-door

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc).... hatch

- engine size & fuel type...... Disel 2.2L (163PS, 120Kw)

- transmission....... Manual 6-Speed

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)..... Front

- mileage..... 43,000 Km

- any special features, options or modification..... No, as supplied by the dealer.

- does it have aircon..... Yes

- realistic current UK market value...... Donno about UK, but in Ireland it's selling for EUR 20,500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $26,100-$28,900

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$29,900, was slightly higher spec and engine power though.

- which Australian state/city ..... NSW

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this. Cheers.

Willie

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig.. this is a fantastic thread full of useful info, thanks.

I just recently secured my visa (175) and am planning to head to Oz in about 2 months time. I have a relatively new car and am undecided as to whether it is worth shipping out. The cheapest quote I got for shiopping was EUR 1,950 (I'm in Dublin). Wondering if you could advise, details below.

- make, model & variant.... Mazda 6 Sport 5-door

- engine size & fuel type...... Disel 2.2L (163PS, 120Kw)

- transmission....... Manual 6-Speed

- mileage..... 43,000 Km

- any special features, options or modification..... No, as supplied by the dealer.

- realistic current UK market value...... Donno about UK, but in Ireland it's selling for EUR 20,500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $26,100-$28,900

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$29,900, was slightly higher spec and engine power though.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this. Cheers.

Willie

Hi there Willie,

I can give you a price estimate based on the information you have provided for shipping from Southampton. Obviously we would need to look at transport costs to Southampton or some other way to get the car shipped but this should at least give you a decent idea of the rest of the costs involved in the process:

--shipping costs --

$1,430 ocean freight

$247 insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs & port fees

$675 import duty

$1,585 GST

-- road registration costs --

$750 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 registration (12 months)

$405 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

Based on this cost breakdown and assuming you could really sell the car for EUR 20,000 or more then you should probably sell before you leave. In order for it to be financially worthwhile bringing this car with you it would need to be worth around EUR 15,000 or less which is unlikely that you would have to drop that much so it will most likely be a better option to sell it before you leave.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest hogster

Hi craig great thread and help. i have detailed the car below of what i would be looking to import from ireland. what costs would i be looking at ? Also i am in australia 3 weeks on a working holiday visa i am with a company and maybe getting sponsored if that goes ahead can i still import a car once it has been in my name 12 months? also will insurance no claims bonus letter suffice and also paper work from garage with my name and work done to the car ? Have read through 50 odd pages lots of info floating around. would it be worthwhile thanks.

- year of manufacture.... 2001

- make, model & variant.... honda civic type r ep3 english version

- engine size & fuel type...... petrol 158Kw @ 1210KG, 130.57 kW/TONNE

- transmission....... Manual 5-Speed

- mileage..... 100,000 milew

- realistic current UK market value...... Donno about UK, but in Ireland it's selling for EUR 3,500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $18,000-$20,000 for jap model

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$20,000, was slightly higher spec as jdm version.

Guest Guest67761
Hi craig great thread and help. i have detailed the car below of what i would be looking to import from ireland. what costs would i be looking at ? Also i am in australia 3 weeks on a working holiday visa i am with a company and maybe getting sponsored if that goes ahead can i still import a car once it has been in my name 12 months? also will insurance no claims bonus letter suffice and also paper work from garage with my name and work done to the car ? Have read through 50 odd pages lots of info floating around. would it be worthwhile thanks.

- year of manufacture.... 2001

- make, model & variant.... honda civic type r ep3 english version

- engine size & fuel type...... petrol 158Kw @ 1210KG, 130.57 kW/TONNE

- transmission....... Manual 5-Speed

- mileage..... 100,000 milew

- realistic current UK market value...... Donno about UK, but in Ireland it's selling for EUR 3,500

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $18,000-$20,000 for jap model

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$20,000, was slightly higher spec as jdm version.

If you are coming to Australia for a few weeks for work, then possibly being relocated here by the same company on a sponsored visa (457 or similar) then you should be able to apply for import approval under the Personal Import Scheme. Usually time spent away from home counts against your minimum 12 months ownership, however if you can provide a letter from your employer to state that you were traveling for work purposes then that should work out well. Even if it was just a personal holiday for 3 weeks it might be alright otherwise they might just ask that you have owned the car for 12 months and 3 weeks before giving import approval in the worst case. Either way it should not be too much trouble depending on how long you have actually owned the car before you relocate to Australia.

Supporting documents could include letters from your insurance company as evidence that you have been using this car personally. Paperwork for repairs to the car would not really could towards much but could help a little if you don't have everything else required. Ideally you will need some evidence of purchasing this car, so that would be a contract of sale, invoice or payment receipt from the seller, copies of finance paperwork or bank transfers for the payment, etc.

We can walk you through all of the requirements in more detail closer to the time if you like. We will work with you to go through what you have available and then help you find other paperwork to support the application if necessary.

Now for the cost breakdown for the shipping, customs clearance costs, ADR compliance and road registration for this car:

--shipping costs --

$1,430 ocean freight

$43 insurance (optional)

$430 import duty

$1,050 GST

$750 ADR compliance

$258 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$200 transport from Port Kembla to Sydney

All up this works out to be around $7,450 in costs. When you add this to the current vehicle value (around $4,250) it means that the car will owe you a total of around $11,700 on-road in Australia. This is well below the likely Australian resale value, and this model car is very popular in Sydney, so I would strongly suggest that you do take this car with you.

This estimate is for shipping from Southampton to Port Kembla (just south of Sydney). We could arrange collection of the car from you to Southampton at an additional cost, or you could arrange delivery there yourself.

Please let me know when you are traveling so I can advise further?

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Willie33

Thanks Craig. Getting the car to Southhampton and then flying home will add on another few hundred bucks so clearly it's not worth it. Should be no problem selling here for more than EUR 15,000.. even the dealer here is offering more than that.

Thanks again for your help

Willie.

Craig,

Can you give me some advice and costs whether it is worth bringing my Audi over to Sydney. Details are....

- make, model & variant.... Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TDI S-Line Special Edition

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc).... Coupe

- engine size & fuel type...... 2 litre deisel

- transmission....... Manual 6 speed

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)..... Front 2WD

- mileage..... 23,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification..... Special Edition I think upgraded alloys, sound system, Sat Nav, heated seats and maybe some other things.

- realistic current UK market value...... about 20-23K

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $64,600-$70,300 for nearest which is 3 litre deisel, 4WD, auto (but with inferior spec?)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$

$55260-67540 for a 2010 3.2 FSI petrol S-Line as private price

The numbers seem to add up but not sure if it would be difficult to sell the car in Oz after using it for another couple of years because they don't do this model locally. Also would there be any issues getting the car serviced in Sydney (Audi parts expensive?) and in your experience is the 'non-standard' insurance through Shannons or others much more expensive?

Hopefully we will get our 457 visas in the next week or so which I guess would be the start point for any application.

Sorry for all the question but any help appreciated.

Cheers John

Guest Guest67761
Thanks Craig. Getting the car to Southhampton and then flying home will add on another few hundred bucks so clearly it's not worth it. Should be no problem selling here for more than EUR 15,000.. even the dealer here is offering more than that.

Thanks again for your help

Willie.

I expected that would be the case but I had to give you all of the options anyway because you just never know. Good luck with the relocation and please do let me know if we can help with anything else.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Craig,

Can you give me some advice and costs whether it is worth bringing my Audi over to Sydney. Details are....

- make, model & variant.... Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TDI S-Line Special Edition

- engine size & fuel type...... 2 litre deisel

- transmission....... Manual 6 speed

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)..... Front 2WD

- mileage..... 23,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification..... Special Edition I think upgraded alloys, sound system, Sat Nav, heated seats and maybe some other things.

- realistic current UK market value...... about 20-23K

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $64,600-$70,300 for nearest which is 3 litre deisel, 4WD, auto (but with inferior spec?)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$

$55260-67540 for a 2010 3.2 FSI petrol S-Line as private price

The numbers seem to add up but not sure if it would be difficult to sell the car in Oz after using it for another couple of years because they don't do this model locally. Also would there be any issues getting the car serviced in Sydney (Audi parts expensive?) and in your experience is the 'non-standard' insurance through Shannons or others much more expensive?

Hopefully we will get our 457 visas in the next week or so which I guess would be the start point for any application.

Sorry for all the question but any help appreciated.

Cheers John

Hi John,

It's always hard to value a car which was not sold in Australia in the same specification but after looking around at the various models that were sold here I think it would most likely fit somewhere between the 2.0L petrol version and the 3.0L diesel, so for the sake of calculating the likely shipping costs I will use the 2.0L petrol version valuations as this is the most likely for the Australian Customs valuation.

--shipping costs --

$1,431 ocean freight

$327 insurance (optional)

$1,325 import duty

$2,958 GST

$750 ADR compliance

$795 stamp duty

-- other costs --

From my calculations it seems that it might end up being worth somewhere around $8,000 to $14,000 less than Australian replacement value.

Car buyers in Australia are moving more towards fuel economy these days, specifically quality European models with diesel engines, so I would expect this car to be a fairly good option for buyers here over the next few years.

Parts should not be too hard to get from Audi for this car because the body and interior should be the same as other A5 models in Australia, and the engine was sold here in other Audi models so all parts for that should be available too. Anything that was not available will be easily ordered by Audi for you however there may be a few weeks delay if it's an odd part.

Shannons should be quite reasonable for this car as it's basically the same as what was sold here. Normally it would be a problem for cars which are a different body style that would cause concern for insurance companies as they would be costly to repair if you had an accident. We also have an insurance contact who can offer good rates for our clients if you are not getting decent rates elsewhere.

If you are keen to look further at bringing this car with you to Australia then please let me know as soon as you get the visa through so we can start working on the mountain of paperwork required for the car.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Danii

Hi Craig, Please could you give me an idea whether it’s worth moving my car over to Brisbane. We have a 457 visa for 4 years. I filled out my details, but had trouble finding my car over in Australia, it was a limited edition release in the UK.

- year of manufacture - 2003

- make, model & variant – Vauxhall / Astra Mark 4 / GSi Turbo

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - 3 door Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type – 1998cc / Petrol

- transmission - Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - FWD

- mileage - 91,000

- any special features, options or modification - Aftermarket Head unit, Removable faceplate. Alloy Wheels. Astra 1.9 CDTI Air Box. B12 Pro kit – Eibach 30mm Springs & Bilstein B8 Shocks. Blue LED courtesy lighting inside. Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature Gauges. CG Motor Sport Clutch. Collins Dump Valve. Front Mounted Intercooler & Kenlow Fans. Full S/S Exhaust system. Kamei Front Bonnet Mesh Grill. Metal Pressed Number Plates. Powerflex Front Engine Mount.. Stainless Steel Top hat and Boost Pipe work. Various Silicone Joiner Hoses. VXR Turbo. Vectra C Dimming Rear View Mirror. Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar.

- does it have aircon - YES

- realistic current UK market value - £4 - £5000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) – N/A

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - N/A

- Which Australian state/city - Brisbane

Thanks in advance, Gavin

Hi, I have a 1979 VW bay Campervan fully restored . We are tempted to sell it in England as we have had it vauled between £12000 and £13500. I have owned the bus for 4 years now. We are in the process of getting are migration visa for Perth, do you have any idea what this would be worth in Australia as we have thought about importing the camper to sell in Aus .

Kind Regards

Steve

Guest Gutsy

Hello to all on this forum.

This is my first post on PIO. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My Aussie employer is pushing for my 457 visa to come through in a month. My dilemma is threefold:

1. Can I apply for an import licence prior to the 457 visa being granted?

2. I have a 10 year old Ducati Monster 800i.e. worth approx £2700 - what costs could I expect to incur with the importation of this?

3. I bought a brand new Australian imported Ducati Monster that I've not had registered in the UK. How can I prove to the authorities that I've owned this bike for the 12 months period if it's still in it's crate? As this was an original Australian export, would I be exempt from any certain import duties/taxes etc because of this?

I don't intend to bring the brand new and my 10 year old Ducati - it's got to be only one BUT which one??

Has anyone else exported a motorbike that could enlighten me as to what lies ahead in a very short time span? I'm wondering if I can put some biking kit in a tank bag and tail pack that would be on the bike during shipment? Perhaps the advice would be to just buy a bike when I get there and to sell my other two?

Sorry for all the questions, but any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.. including anyone know of any Ducati clubs in WA that would be happy to have an Ex Zim/Ex Pom and soon to be an Aussie?

Many many thanks

Gutsy

Guest msouth5000

here we go. Now that my car is here and I am using its I said i would let you all share my pain and pleasure :-)

Vehicle in Uk worth about 6500 GBP Audi 2.0 lt TDI 2007 85k miles

Diary of vehicle import

27 Feb. VIA submission to DOTARS

14 Mar. VIA approval, by email after chasing

21 Mar. VIA letter arrived to UK

28 Mar. Vehicle air con de-gased

30 Mar. Vehicle loaded in to container

04 Apr. Advised DOTARS of Australia address

11 Apr. VIA documents arrived to Australia address

13 Apr. WA driving licence applied for. Required as part of vehicle inspection later.

23 May. Container arrives at Fremantle

07 Jun. Customs valuation

14 Jun. Customs clearance

18 Jun. AQIS Inspection & fail

21 Jun. Vehicle cleaned & re-examined

25 Jun. Vehicle released from quarantine

28 Jun. Vehicle collected from shipper

29 Jun. Vehicle taken to Vehicle licensing for inspection. Failed only on PIP. PIP applied for. Can't apply without endorsement from inspector.

04 Jul. PIP arrived by courier

09 Jul. Vehicle returned to vehicle licensing. PIP attached. Licence plates issued. Vehicle legal to drive.

[TABLE=width: 436]

[TR]

[TD=width: 234, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=width: 152, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=width: 64, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=class: xl63, width: 66, bgcolor: transparent]GBP[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, width: 66, bgcolor: transparent]AUD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Aircon De-gas[/TD]

[TD=class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]£78.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Vehicle Valeting[/TD]

[TD=class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]£100.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Vehicle Shipment[/TD]

[TD=class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]£3,128.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Vehicle Import Application[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$50.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Driving Licence Transfer[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$37.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Driving Licence Issue[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]5 yrs[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$116.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Customs Valuation[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Valued at $24000[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$220.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]GST on Importation[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$2,181.51[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Import Duty[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Dutiable value $18,463[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$923.15[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Aqis Processing Fee[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$70.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Credit Card Charge[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$101.85[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]AQIS Cleaning[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$550.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Licencing Inspection Fee[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$90.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Personal Import Plate[/TD]

[TD=class: xl65, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$86.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Vehicle Licence (Rego) including plates[/TD]

[TD=class: xl65, bgcolor: transparent][/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$550.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Total[/TD]

[TD=class: xl63, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]£3,306.00[/TD]

[TD=class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent, align: right]$4,976.01[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig, Please could you give me an idea whether it’s worth moving my car over to Brisbane. We have a 457 visa for 4 years. I filled out my details, but had trouble finding my car over in Australia, it was a limited edition release in the UK.

- year of manufacture - 2003

- make, model & variant – Vauxhall / Astra Mark 4 / GSi Turbo

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - 3 door Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type – 1998cc / Petrol

- transmission - Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - FWD

- mileage - 91,000

- any special features, options or modification - Aftermarket Head unit, Removable faceplate. Alloy Wheels. Astra 1.9 CDTI Air Box. B12 Pro kit – Eibach 30mm Springs & Bilstein B8 Shocks. Blue LED courtesy lighting inside. Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature Gauges. CG Motor Sport Clutch. Collins Dump Valve. Front Mounted Intercooler & Kenlow Fans. Full S/S Exhaust system. Kamei Front Bonnet Mesh Grill. Metal Pressed Number Plates. Powerflex Front Engine Mount.. Stainless Steel Top hat and Boost Pipe work. Various Silicone Joiner Hoses. VXR Turbo. Vectra C Dimming Rear View Mirror. Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar.

- does it have aircon - YES

- realistic current UK market value - £4 - £5000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) – N/A

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - N/A

- Which Australian state/city - Brisbane

Thanks in advance, Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Your vehicle was sold in Australia as an HSV VXR (HSV = Holden Special Vehicles) but only from 2006 onwards. The good news about that is that HSV models are typically higher in price, however considering the age and mileage of your car I would probably estimate it's value at around $14,000 give or take depending on the exact condition, etc.

Based on this price range you should be looking at import and on-road costs somewhere as follows:

--shipping costs --

$1,426 ocean freight

$68 insurance (optional)

$299 import duty

$777 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$209 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Please let me know if you are interested in looking further at the option of bringing this car with you to Australia, or if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi, I have a 1979 VW bay Campervan fully restored . We are tempted to sell it in England as we have had it vauled between £12000 and £13500. I have owned the bus for 4 years now. We are in the process of getting are migration visa for Perth, do you have any idea what this would be worth in Australia as we have thought about importing the camper to sell in Aus .

Kind Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's really hard to put a value of a vehicle like this without seeing it in person because there can be so many variables, especially with a vehicle that has been fully restored, however if I had to give a ballpark price range it would be anywhere from around $18,000 to $35,000 depending on how well the restoration had been done, the specific camper setup you have, etc ... only you know your vehicle well enough to find other similar examples for sale to gauge the price accurately, unless you wanted to email me a bunch of photos so I can get a better idea of the value. I would be happy to give you a cost breakdown of the import and road registration costs once we can work out the likely Australian value.

Regards,

Craig.

Hello to all on this forum.

This is my first post on PIO. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My Aussie employer is pushing for my 457 visa to come through in a month. My dilemma is threefold:

1. Can I apply for an import licence prior to the 457 visa being granted?

2. I have a 10 year old Ducati Monster 800i.e. worth approx £2700 - what costs could I expect to incur with the importation of this?

3. I bought a brand new Australian imported Ducati Monster that I've not had registered in the UK. How can I prove to the authorities that I've owned this bike for the 12 months period if it's still in it's crate? As this was an original Australian export, would I be exempt from any certain import duties/taxes etc because of this?

I don't intend to bring the brand new and my 10 year old Ducati - it's got to be only one BUT which one??

Has anyone else exported a motorbike that could enlighten me as to what lies ahead in a very short time span? I'm wondering if I can put some biking kit in a tank bag and tail pack that would be on the bike during shipment? Perhaps the advice would be to just buy a bike when I get there and to sell my other two?

Sorry for all the questions, but any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.. including anyone know of any Ducati clubs in WA that would be happy to have an Ex Zim/Ex Pom and soon to be an Aussie?

Many many thanks

Gutsy

Hi Gutsy,

You will not be granted import approval under the Personal Import Scheme until you have your visa in place already, so although you could apply earlier they will just not process it and not give a final answer until you provide them with the visa.

If you are bringing a container load of household goods then load the bike into the container as it would be easier and most likely cheaper in the end. To ship a bike separately it's likely to cost around £550 to £1,000 give or take depending on the method chosen, then you have customs clearance in Australia which will be around $1,200 to $1,500 plus import taxes of around $250. After landing in Australia you will need to have it certified to meet Australian Design Rules which is not normally too hard or costly for bikes, then just that normal road registration costs for whatever state you are moving to.

There is so much more I could ask about the second bike (the Australian imported one) but there are a few key points I need to know in order to help you properly:

- was the bike ever road registered in Australia?

- was it intended for road registration in Australia, or sold purely for export? (was it a tax free sale?)

- were you the person who exported it from Australia?

- can you prove that it has not been used outside Australia?

Depending on your answers you might be able to re-import this bike without meeting the Personal Import Scheme criteria and therefore not require the visa for this purpose at all. Also it could be exempt from import taxes and/or additional Australian compliance costs.

If you ship a bike in your container with household goods then you can include whatever else you like with it. If you choose to ship via another method then it will depend if you have it fully crated in which case you should be able to put other items inside the crate, or via the cheaper RORO method in which case you would not be able to include additional items.

I personally don't know of any Ducati clubs however I am sure you will find something by either searching around Google or calling some Ducati dealers in Australia.

Regards,

Craig.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Craig,

Great thread. Thanks for all the posts so far, very helpful. I am actually an Aussie who has two cars (together with my partner, so one each) that we are looking to bring back in 12 months time (Currently living in Edinburgh, Scotland). What I was hoping if you could let me know how much you believe it will cost and if, in your view, its worth it....

- year of manufacture.... 2004

- make, model & variant.... BMW M3 Coupe SMG

- engine size & fuel type...... petrol 6 cyl, 3.3ltr 343HP/252KW

- transmission....... 6 speed SMG

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)..... Rear

- mileage..... 56,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification..... HK Stereo, Navigation system, 19” wheels, heated front seats

- realistic current UK market value...... £10,000 (that is all I can get for it privately)

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $39,400-$44,300

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$40,000

- which Australian state/city ..... VIC

- year of manufacture.... 2010 (MY11 in Aus)

- engine size & fuel type...... petrol 6 cyl, 4.0ltr 420HP/309KW

- transmission....... 7 speed DSG

- mileage..... 8,100 miles

- any special features, options or modification..... Competition pack (EDC, 19” CSL wheels), HK stereo, elec folding mirrors

- realistic current UK market value...... £39,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $110,000-$120,500

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$115,000

I fully understand that bringing two back under one name (as they are both in my name currently) is a difficult thing, from reading other forums / posts but have emailed the import people in OZ to see what is required to ensurre we are covered. I would assume worst case that we just transfer one to my partners name and we should be good to go.

Any advice / thoughts would be apprecaited.

Guest Gutsy

Hi Craig

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my numerous questions. Your answers have been most helpful, and very appreciated. To answer your questions regarding the brand new bike please see my replies below:

There is so much more I could ask about the second bike (the Australian imported one) but there are a few key points I need to know in order to help you properly:

- was the bike ever road registered in Australia? No

- was it intended for road registration in Australia, or sold purely for export? (was it a tax free sale?) No

- were you the person who exported it from Australia? No

- can you prove that it has not been used outside Australia? Yes

This bike would have been imported from Italy to Australia as a brand new bike. It has never been registered in either Australia or the UK.

As I've never been a resident of Australia (I bought the bike in the UK), I wondered if I could commence my import permit on this new bike without my visa because of this bike having been originally exported from Aus.

Thanks for your input on this.

Cheers

Gutsy

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my numerous questions. Your answers have been most helpful, and very appreciated. To answer your questions regarding the brand new bike please see my replies below:

- was the bike ever road registered in Australia? No

- was it intended for road registration in Australia, or sold purely for export? (was it a tax free sale?) No

- were you the person who exported it from Australia? No

- can you prove that it has not been used outside Australia? Yes

This bike would have been imported from Italy to Australia as a brand new bike. It has never been registered in either Australia or the UK.

As I've never been a resident of Australia (I bought the bike in the UK), I wondered if I could commence my import permit on this new bike without my visa because of this bike having been originally exported from Aus.

Thanks for your input on this.

Cheers

Gutsy

Hi Gutsy,

This will be a tough one as they will need good evidence that it was sold in Australia for local use. Can you provide photos of the vin/chassis number and build plates, hopefully there will be something on there from Australia in the form of an ADR compliance plate or similar. Also let me know exactly what you have to prove that it was here in Australia so I can advise further.

If we can't get it through on this basis then the Personal Import Scheme would be the next thing to look at, however with the bike not having been road registered in the UK that would almost certainly be impossible too, so I really hope we can find a way to get it through as a re-import.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig,

Great thread. Thanks for all the posts so far, very helpful. I am actually an Aussie who has two cars (together with my partner, so one each) that we are looking to bring back in 12 months time (Currently living in Edinburgh, Scotland). What I was hoping if you could let me know how much you believe it will cost and if, in your view, its worth it....

- year of manufacture.... 2004

- engine size & fuel type...... petrol 6 cyl, 3.3ltr 343HP/252KW

- transmission....... 6 speed SMG

- mileage..... 56,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification..... HK Stereo, Navigation system, 19” wheels, heated front seats

- realistic current UK market value...... £10,000 (that is all I can get for it privately)

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $39,400-$44,300

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$40,000

- year of manufacture.... 2010 (MY11 in Aus)

- engine size & fuel type...... petrol 6 cyl, 4.0ltr 420HP/309KW

- transmission....... 7 speed DSG

- mileage..... 8,100 miles

- any special features, options or modification..... Competition pack (EDC, 19” CSL wheels), HK stereo, elec folding mirrors

- realistic current UK market value...... £39,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)....... $110,000-$120,500

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)....$115,000

I fully understand that bringing two back under one name (as they are both in my name currently) is a difficult thing, from reading other forums / posts but have emailed the import people in OZ to see what is required to ensurre we are covered. I would assume worst case that we just transfer one to my partners name and we should be good to go.

Any advice / thoughts would be apprecaited.

We can apply for one vehicle in each name without needing to transfer ownership in most cases, so that should not be any trouble. I can tell you without even looking up the figures that both cars will be worthwhile importing to Australia, all BMW models are fairly good, especially the M series.

At the current rates the 2004 model would cost you somewhere around $10,050 all up including all shipping costs, Australian compliance costs, road registration and our service fee. This car would end up owing you somewhere around $24,850 on-road in Australia which is well below the $40,000 market value. The 2010 model would be somewhere around $17,850 at todays rates so this one would be on-road for around $75,650 give or take, so again a massive saving over the average market value in Australia .. and these will only get cheaper to import in another year with further depreciation.

I would strongly suggest bringing them both if you can.

Regards,

Craig.

We can apply for one vehicle in each name without needing to transfer ownership in most cases, so that should not be any trouble. I can tell you without even looking up the figures that both cars will be worthwhile importing to Australia, all BMW models are fairly good, especially the M series.

At the current rates the 2004 model would cost you somewhere around $10,050 all up including all shipping costs, Australian compliance costs, road registration and our service fee. This car would end up owing you somewhere around $24,850 on-road in Australia which is well below the $40,000 market value. The 2010 model would be somewhere around $17,850 at todays rates so this one would be on-road for around $75,650 give or take, so again a massive saving over the average market value in Australia .. and these will only get cheaper to import in another year with further depreciation.

I would strongly suggest bringing them both if you can.

Regards,

Craig.

Thanks Craig. Sounds like some good confirmation. Can I ask what value you put on the cars and how you got to that? I have my own calculations and interested in how you got to yours. I have been told that its "as much as half" the current australian value but given at the value is around $115k my calculation is that you have placed a value of around $55K, which is lower than half (the safe bet I have been assuming is 10% above half) - This is for the new M3 that is....

Also, and I will NOT hold you or anyone else to this, but based on your experience, what is the likely valuation in 12 months time? Are we talking another 10% 30% 5% reduction in the "as landed" value?

With the costs you provided, is that based on both cars going together in one container or individually? We ARE planning on sending both, I am just curious how you got to that.

Thank again for your assistance.

Guest Guest67761
Thanks Craig. Sounds like some good confirmation. Can I ask what value you put on the cars and how you got to that? I have my own calculations and interested in how you got to yours. I have been told that its "as much as half" the current australian value but given at the value is around $115k my calculation is that you have placed a value of around $55K, which is lower than half (the safe bet I have been assuming is 10% above half) - This is for the new M3 that is....

Also, and I will NOT hold you or anyone else to this, but based on your experience, what is the likely valuation in 12 months time? Are we talking another 10% 30% 5% reduction in the "as landed" value?

With the costs you provided, is that based on both cars going together in one container or individually? We ARE planning on sending both, I am just curious how you got to that.

Thank again for your assistance.

Calculating the likely valuation for Australian Customs is no easy task. It requires awareness of the used car market in Australia as well a good working knowledge of the customs process. It's certainly not as simple as just subtracting a percentage, and unfortunately it's way too complex to explain without causing widespread confusion.

You are likely to see a drop in Australian value of around 10% over the next 12 months, however this may not mean a 10% drop in the Australian Customs valuation which could be more or less than 10% lower depending on other factors also.

The cost estimate I provided was for each car to be shipped separately by normal RORO method. We can arrange container shipping if required also.

Regards,

Craig

Guest Guest67761
i notice this thread started in 2010 has there been any changes ? please help.

There are sometimes minor changes in the laws but more importantly there are always changes in the way those laws are interpreted and enforced, which is why we prefer to deal with clients on an individual basis as required. Please only take older information as a general guideline and make sure you contact us directly with details of your specific circumstances so we can provide accurate and relevant information for you.

If there is something that you wanted to know specifically then please feel free to ask - we are always happy to help!

Regards,

Craig.

Calculating the likely valuation for Australian Customs is no easy task. It requires awareness of the used car market in Australia as well a good working knowledge of the customs process. It's certainly not as simple as just subtracting a percentage, and unfortunately it's way too complex to explain without causing widespread confusion.You are likely to see a drop in Australian value of around 10% over the next 12 months, however this may not mean a 10% drop in the Australian Customs valuation which could be more or less than 10% lower depending on other factors also.The cost estimate I provided was for each car to be shipped separately by normal RORO method. We can arrange container shipping if required also.Regards,Craig
Thanks Craig. Some very helpful advice. I will certainly contact you in 8-10 months to see what options you can provide.Thanks again!!